Fasting

Options
I'm on a juice fast until 1 Jan to rid myself of toxins and just feel more fresh before I begin my diet. . . if I'm riding my bike for 45 minutes a day during the fast and mostly sitting at an office job for the remainder of the time, will my metabolism slow as much? And I'm going to break the fast by going 300 cals to 500 cals to 700 cals to 900 cals and do 900 for a few days then go up to 1200 and diet like that. What is everyone's opinion please

Replies

• unefemme
    Options
    I'm on a juice fast until 1 Jan to rid myself of toxins and just feel more fresh before I begin my diet. . . if I'm riding my bike for 45 minutes a day during the fast and mostly sitting at an office job for the remainder of the time, will my metabolism slow as much? And I'm going to break the fast by going 300 cals to 500 cals to 700 cals to 900 cals and do 900 for a few days then go up to 1200 and diet like that. What is everyone's opinion please
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion - fasting for more than a couple of days is not the best thing for your body. Especially if you are still exercising during that time. Your body needs fuel to exercise and instead of getting any benefits from it, you may end up overexerting yourself. But that's just my opinion.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options

First off Hello and Welcome!
    Since you asked I will tell you what I have learned and found to be true.
    It is very unhealthy. You will, in the long run, defeat your purpose. It does slow down your metabolism. Your body needs the 1200 calories per day for normal body functions like breathing, heart beat etc…. It sounds odd but so true….you have to eat to lose. I strongly suggest you rethink this and eat a well balanced diet instead. You will feel much better then what you are talking about doing.
    Good Luck.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods are you intending to eat during your 300, 600, 900, etc. fasting diet? It's not a healthy thing to deprive your body of food, calories, and nutrition that it needs to fuel itself. If you're going to do this at least be sure that your'e getting in at least a good amount of fiber and protein. Our bodies tell us that they need more by making us feel lethargic and tired. If you're not consuming enough and you're expending your calories by exercising, your body will make you feel horrible while you're doing it. It's very important for all of us to listen to our bodies. I hope that you make the right decision for your body.
  • unefemme
    Options
    Well do you think it's bad if I'm fasting for 4 days and then only doing the calorie restriction for a few days still? I mean I am eating very nutritional things like fruits and fish and plenty of vegetables and granola bars when I begin eating again.
  • oldandbroke
    Options
    It doesn't sound healthy to me. You should stick to things that you can maintain for life. Slow and steady is the way to go. Once you start logging your caories and exercise you will see that the weight will drop off fast. You will also learn which of the things you like to eat fit in your daily goals. This will result in becoming a lifestyle change that you can easily stick with.
  • Dietagain
    Options
    Hi well i can understand why you are doing this BUT i too have done this for a longer period of time about 6 weeks i lost weight very quick, around 2 stone and YES i put it all back on in the same time. So ok for 3 or 4 days but no longer.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    There's a book called Toxic Relief by Dr. Don Colbert that shows you the right way to do to a toxic fast. Hope this helps!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound healthy to me. You should stick to things that you can maintain for life. Slow and steady is the way to go. Once you start logging your caories and exercise you will see that the weight will drop off fast. You will also learn which of the things you like to eat fit in your daily goals. This will result in becoming a lifestyle change that you can easily stick with.

Seconded. Do stuff you can do every day for the rest of your life.
  • laceyandtim
    Options
    If you want to rid your body of toxins drink plenty of water. It will naturally flush toxins out. 8 glasses a day! You need to eat. Your body needs protein, carbs, etc to function properly.
  • lovableditz
    Options
    fasting is actually very good for you. but there are a few things you should think about
    •starting out with a pure water fast [no juice or tea ect.] releases toxians into the blood stream rapidly and is not recomended for a first fast
    •Many people experience nausea and headaches during fasting and this is often caused by caffeine withdrawal (and we all love our caffeine here) so I recommend, if possible, if you are a heavy soda or coffee drinker start tapering off about a week before the start of your fast. This should do the trick and make it a little easier and your headaches won't be so painful.
    •when you start your fast don't eat anything and your body will begin to produce some hormone or something that gives you energy and if you just limit calorie intake your body never produces it and goes into starvation mode instead.

for information on fasting i recomend
    http://www.fasting.com/