Mexican restaurant...HELP!!

Options
I totally forgot I had plans to meet my mother for dinner at a Mexican restaurant tonight and I only have 450 calories left for the day...what can I eat?!

Replies

• twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken fajitas, without the sour cream, cheese, or tortillas!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The last time that I went to a Mexican restaurant I had a shrimp taco salad without the beans, sour cream, pico, and guacamole. I ate only half the shell, intermittently, with the salad and I even had five chips with salsa? I think I was right around that amount of calories! Can you get maybe a 15 min brisk walk in and get another 100ish calories
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Enchaladas Suizas are usually lower calorie than a lot of the menu items. The kind with the green sauce. And they're delicious.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Try ceviche. It's shrimp cooked in lemon juice. It's super yummy!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Tostadas generally aren't too horrible, sometimes you can get by with a couple of beef tacos too. It really depends on the restaurant... if it's a bigger chain (like Garcias or Macayos) they usually have the nutrition info up on their website.

Stay away from chips & salsa - if you can tell the waiter to not bring them to you. Also, if you can't find anything within your limits have them box up half your order to go before they bring it out to you... that way you can only eat half of the dinner (which usually is enough food anyway) and save yourself loads of unwanted calories! Good luck!
  • groucherella
    Options
    Try ceviche. It's shrimp cooked in lemon juice. It's super yummy!

I am keeping this in mind next time I go out!
  • tulaniq
    tulaniq Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm thinking that a tostada or taco salad minus the fried tortilla is probably going to be the thing to get.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've been working with my family at a mexican restaurant since I was five. We offer a ton of low cal choices. Here's a few choices:
    Grilled chicken tacos. Either with soft wheat tortillas or soft corn, Without the cheese. Most traditional mexican sauces and salsas are just roasted or boiled veggies (peppers onions tomatoes) that have been blended up with salt and other seasonings. Be careful with the pork dishes cooked in sauces cause the pork is usually fried prior to simmered in the sauce. Also the rice is generally deep fried before it's steamed! Almost every customer thinks that the refried beans are the worst because of the lard, but the amount of fat that the frying adds to the rice blows the beans out of the water. You're better off getting no rice and pinto beans or whole beans and a small salad. If you need a condiment stick to guacamole instead of sourcream. Hope this helps. If you ever have any mexican food questions let me know. I've been living, breathing and eating it since I was born
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Tostadas, hard tacos. I substitute with chicken, too. Hard tacos have lower calories than soft, remember that.
  • flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    shrimp fajitas no sour cream, no toritllas no quac just eat it strait off the skilled!! YUMMO
  • kmand
    kmand Posts: 7
    Options
    Stay away from the fried chips. Also flour tortillas have 2x the calories of corn. Beware of cheese and sour cream. Try chicken enchiladas with tomatillo sauce. Portion control - Mexican restaurants tend to serve huge portions. Ask for a to-go box when they serve your food and put 1/2 in the box for tomorrow.
  • tulaniq
    tulaniq Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Brityn - thanks for all the details, you certainly are qualified to answer this one :) I can't believe the rice is fried?!