Hi, I'm new... I have to lose weight!! Soooo badly!

Options
I am hoping that logging in MyFitnessPal site will help me get on and stay on a diet. I just found out I have Diabetes type 2. I'm only in my early 40's. :( Very worried about this. I had pre-diabetes (from what I could see in my past 3 years of blood tests) but my doctor NEVER mentioned it at all. Now I have diabetes. :( I wish I knew what pre-diabetes was before, maybe it would have motivated me to lose weight.

I am very very overweight. I have to lose about 200 lbs (maybe more). :( That sucks. I do love sweets...sugary stuff... I always have since I could remember. If I could just cut that out, I would be consuming wayyyy less calories each day.

I also just found out I have Hypothyroidism. The last few blood tests were fine, but this time suddenly I have Hypothryoidism. How does that happen?

Replies

• grizziegriz
    grizziegriz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi ~
    I like using this website. It really helps me to stay focus. Feel free to add me.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Feel free to add me too! :flowerforyou:
    I would relax and take a step back and slowly start implementing lifestyle changes - you will achieve success in no time :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    As for how does it happen? I know its a downer, but you can so totally do this!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hey there :),

ticker doesn't lie! I started out with needing to loose 200lbs! add me if you like and I will be a motivational friend. It is truly simple! just need to watch portion control and learn how to read the nutritional label and you will melt lbs off along with exercise!!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You're in this for the long haul, there is no quick fix, no fad diet to follow. It's a complete and utter lifestyle change. And with lifestyle change comes patience. It'll take time to lose that 200 pounds, but as long as you have the faith within yourself, you can do it. This site has a lot of informative links and opinions, just take a browse through the forums.

Feel free to add me if you wish :)
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that logging in MyFitnessPal site will help me get on and stay on a diet. I just found out I have Diabetes type 2. I'm only in my early 40's. :( Very worried about this. I had pre-diabetes (from what I could see in my past 3 years of blood tests) but my doctor NEVER mentioned it at all. Now I have diabetes. :( I wish I knew what pre-diabetes was before, maybe it would have motivated me to lose weight.

I am very very overweight. I have to lose about 200 lbs (maybe more). :( That sucks. I do love sweets...sugary stuff... I always have since I could remember. If I could just cut that out, I would be consuming wayyyy less calories each day.

I also just found out I have Hypothyroidism. The last few blood tests were fine, but this time suddenly I have Hypothryoidism. How does that happen?

The first thing I would do is not think of it as "having to lose about 200lbs". Set smaller goals. For example: You want to lose 1.5 or 2 pounds per week. And celebrate each week's accomplishments!! :drinker:

Secondly, start slow....maybe for one week no soda or no sweets. Making smaller achievable goals are going to be a HUGE boost for you to WANT to continue.

Finally, move, move, move EVERY DAY!! It doesn't have to be a 2 hour workout at the gym. Just tell yourself that you are going to MOVE for 20 minutes. It could be for a walk, a bike ride, or walking around the living room while watching your favorite tv show.

I have had hypothyroidism for about 20 years. :sad: It makes it harder to lose weight but NOT IMPOSSIBLE!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!! :flowerforyou:
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options

The first thing I would do is not think of it as "having to lose about 200lbs". Set smaller goals. For example: You want to lose 1.5 or 2 pounds per week. And celebrate each week's accomplishments!! :drinker:

Secondly, start slow....maybe for one week no soda or no sweets. Making smaller achievable goals are going to be a HUGE boost for you to WANT to continue.

Finally, move, move, move EVERY DAY!! It doesn't have to be a 2 hour workout at the gym. Just tell yourself that you are going to MOVE for 20 minutes. It could be for a walk, a bike ride, or walking around the living room while watching your favorite tv show.

I have had hypothyroidism for about 20 years. :sad: It makes it harder to lose weight but NOT IMPOSSIBLE!!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!! :flowerforyou:

I couldn't have agreed more! I've lost just over 50 pounds with MFP, and have always set smaller goals. Easier to achieve, and easier to stay focused on!
  • madison5302
    madison5302 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm always game for new friends. You will have my support in a healthy path to weight loss. I'm not one to say, "Way to go" when I see people WAY under calories. I'm the one to help others during the bad times. Losing weight is hard, don't be fooled. Stay strong
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Good advice already given, but just to re-emphasize the importance of seeing this as a permanent lifestyle change that will bring you great health and kick Diabetes.

I have hypothyroidism. Once you get on a proper dose of medicine for it, it does not hinder weight loss. Continue to work with your doctor(s) for that. I was diagnosed over 2 years ago and feel great as long as my meds are at the right dosage.

:flowerforyou:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    contrary to many beliefs, i believe diabetes, when caught early, can be reversed, or at least suppressed. i have known of many people who have changed their lifestyle, lost weight, and not had to use insulin any more. i have known many people who since losing weight and eating a better diet have been able to at least manage their blood sugars so well that they simply have to monitor, and nothing else. i know diabetics require different nutrition and have different guidelines than those of us without it, so, i wont give you any diet advise, my only advise would be to find a good diabetic weight loss plan, get a lot of daily exercise, and check into homeopathic diabetic management ideas. whether people agree with this method or not, there are proven methods of controlling or at least improving diabetic symptoms using natural means (cinnamon and raw honey for example) vs. pure pharmaceuticals. good luck to you!
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    concentrate on calories first, all the other stuff is minor. set a reasonable rate of weight loss and log everything you eat, after a while you will start to make choices to make your goals and eat many things you like.

Joy Joy has a lot of good advice, you can use the search engine to find answers, or ask questions, many answers you get will be blunt, folks are not being mean but folks dont sugar coat stuff around here (except doughnuts ;-)
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The others have given really good advice! You can do it!!! Slow and steady wins the race.
  • imogen__may
    imogen__may Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think another important thing to remember is friends! Add people to your profile here, support them and they will support you back. Having someone to listen when you're feeling rubbish, or celebrate with you when you've reached a goal, that's a big part of why MFP works! So make the most of it, use your pals :)
  • determined2bfit13
    determined2bfit13 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have prediabetes and am desperate to lose weight as so I won't get diabetes so I feel your pain.

Feel free to add me. Lets work on getting healthier!

motivation27_zps357541df.jpg
  • myfitnesspalsavvy
    myfitnesspalsavvy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone of you have encouraged me. :). I hope I can be encouraging too when I get the hang of this...haha
  • Jessta9289
    Options
    Hi, this website is great for helping to keep on track. I too have / had a lot to lose and I'm still going. Feel free to add me :)
  • Heroness
    Options
    Well done on taking your first step. That is the most important thing - that you realised you want to do something about the weight. I only joined last week but already everyone is being so supportive and friendly and helpful.

Please feel free to add me. I am finding the fact that I must log in all my food and exercise every day is great and keeps me accountable.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
  • jnwalker511
    jnwalker511 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I also was just told back in july I have diabetes. I have since got mine under control with diet and excerise. Feel free to add me! I am trying to lose a lot of weight by eating healthy.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm glad you are here.

I don't have as much weight to lose as you but I did have pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, hypothyroidism and insulin resistance. I have been on my journey to health for a few years and I have to say that it is a lifestyle change. It is forever. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy sweets ever again but just fewer. Think about your health. How did you get here? How did this happen? You know the answer. We eat too much of the wrong things.

So make some small changes. Move your body every day. At the beginning it doesn't matter what you do - just move that beautiful body that you were given.

I have managed to make my pre-diabetes go away, my cholesterol is genetically still high but a heck of a lot lower than it was, I am working with a registered holistic nutritionist for my hypothyroidism (plus taking meds) and my insulin resistance (and my whacked out hormones). It is a slow process and I have learned to be patient.

I think setting small goals is great advice. You are strong. Everything you have wrong with you is reversable. Your lifestyle got you here. Your lifestyle can get you healthy. The power is in your hands. You can do this. Hang out here, add some friends and never give up. EVER. Yep you will fall off the wagon and you will have the courage to jump back on.

Add me if you like. My friends here have seen me through some tough times and I am thankful everyday for the strangers who I now consider friends thanks to MFP.

*ETA - hypothyroidism can happen suddenly because they may have changed the benchmark and also WELCOME TO BEING IN YOUR 40'S.
  • KatySW6588
    Options
    Hey, it's always really daunting trying to lose weight! This app helps so much with it all! I love adding recipes and knowing exactly how many calories I'm putting into my body.

I have a blog that I use to put some recipes up and share what I have found. Recently made some amazing pumpkin brownies ~ they are to die for!

Hope you get on great :)

Xxx