Any uk mfp's....protein bars??

Options
Quest protein bars have been recommended a lot to me on here but i can't find them in shops, just wondering do these have to be ordered online from the us?

Also anyone ever try the protein bars in holland and barrett, looking for some ideas...need a protein bar for days i'm on the go and don't hit my macros in protein from my homecooked food!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

I do not use protein bars because the majority have added sugar or high fructose corn syrup or sucralose etc, etc.

I prepare my protein snack with

Mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, pumpkins seeds) and some dried cranberry. I measure 1/4 cup in a small sandwich bag, around 150 calories.

I also take with my lunch

Hummus with veggies (red bell peppers or celery or carrots) or

Greek yogurt

Good luck in your journey
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I bought some Quest bars, they taste pretty synthetic and well, err "American".

https://www.powerbody.co.uk/brand-quest-nutrition,64.html
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    look for nakd bars - not massive on the protein but natural and made from nuts/fruits.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    have had nakd bards before from holland and barrett they are quite nice:) but if im going for bars like that i'd like to be getting some form of protein I guess because i'd usually eat fruit or almonds as a snack as opposed to nakd bars or such.

thanks for the advice anyway if anyone else has any suggestions i'd love to hear them :).
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You can get Quest bars on Amazon :smile:
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried them yet but bulkpowders have a protein flapjack that looks pretty good, probably going to buy a box or two next time I order protein as an alternative to shakes. Otherwise amazon as people have suggested or maybe discount-supplements.co.uk will have something you like.
  • louisemh28
    Options
    Some of the ones I like:

QNT 50% protein bars (amazon.co.uk)
    PhD Diet Whey bars (amazon, H&B)
    CNP Pro Flapjack High Protein (H&B)
  • Razzzzle
    Razzzzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you not getting enough protein from food - That should be the main source for protein.

I always have a shake for breakfast though, but thats because ive been and done a morning gym session so killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

I would have a shake with water as a quick source rather than having a bar thats filled with sugar and extra cals you dont need - but if you do deffo want a bar try one of these: http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/protein-bars?limit=all

Daz
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I tried a couple of protein bars from Holland and Barrett and thought they were crap TBH. I also though they were very high cal for what they provided and the cost.

I prefer protein powder to make a drink, and then making my own protein bar recipes. I especially like Optimum protein powder in vanilla ice cream and mint chocolate.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    You can get Quest bars on Amazon :smile:

At over £2 a bar!

How expensive? :noway:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are overpriced and taste chemical-like.

I would go with Whey-hey ice cream that they sell at Holland and Barrett. Still a bit pricey, but tastes good (imo) and a much better macros as well.

http://www.wheyhey.co.uk/index.php?lang=en
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Also, if you search the recipe secton here, lots of peeps make their own protein bars with protein powder. Most of which are delicious.

I think there is protein pancakes as well. NOMNOMNOM!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Protein bars are overpriced and taste chemical-like.

I would go with Whey-hey ice cream that they sell at Holland and Barrett. Still a bit pricey, but tastes good (imo) and a much better macros as well.

http://www.wheyhey.co.uk/index.php?lang=en

Oh I so need to try this. :drinker:

On pay day of course :grumble:
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Are you not getting enough protein from food - That should be the main source for protein.

Most days I am actually I've been reluctant to go for the bars/powder for so long because i've been researching and working protein into my diet in new ways since I started learning about weight loss and strength training. I'm just curious about getting some in on days perhaps I don't always hit the macro or perhaps for after training sessions the odd time.

Thanks so much everyone for the replies and the suggestions, going to have a look around amazon and check out some of the suggestions in H&B next time i'm there. :) whey-hey ice cream sounds like a good way to get protein in while enjoying a snack as well.
  • LprLady
    LprLady Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are made by GNC. They are low in sugar and high in fiber and protein. They can be ordered on line if you do not have a GNC in UK.
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I occasionally use pulsin maple and peanut sport protein bars. They're made in UK from all natural ingredients. Cheapest place to buy them is amazon. To be honest they taste ok for a protein bar. The first time I had one I think my expectations were a bit high, I was anticipating a protein friendly snickers bar. Def not the case although I quite like them now. They're 15grams of protein, 210cals though, so they have a place very occasionally. To be honest the majority of the time you could use the calories in a better way and get more protein too.
  • recovery114
    Options
    greek yogurt beats any protein bar
    or eggs
    or skimmed milk
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    greek yogurt beats any protein bar
    or eggs
    or skimmed milk

But they aren't great to stick in your handbag :tongue:
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Health shops and supermarkets sell them.
  • Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I brought some of these last week because my weekend macros have been poor. Im generally stuck out in the wood marshalling @ an airsoft site and the general food is junk food. Ive had a couple so far and they are surprisingly nice.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/high-pro/10530459.html?menu=a

My flavour is Chocolate orange, Not sure about any other flavours yet.

Myprotein - Mybar High Pro:

Calories: 230
    Carbs:20
    Protein:29
    Fat:7
    Sodium:0
    Sugar:3

Cant say Ive tried anything else atm. But id be interested to see what else is available in the UK @ a decent price?
    These work out around £1.66 without postage on their own.