what is your plan for keeping weight off this winter?

Options
I gained 15 lbs last yr between now and Feb so I don't want to do that again.

1) staying out of stretch pants
2) no steak until after Feb (because these are the months I put on the most weight)
3) go to gym 3-4 times a week or walk outside
4) don't eat late at night
5) brush my teeth at night or chew gum so I don't eat.
6) don't go to every eat out social event or try to socialize more instead of eat
and eat only 1 plate, no seconds.
7) eat a lot of protein,nuts,cheese, beans,peanut butter to fill me up
8) limit time with negative people,more problem solving,less whining (emotional eater)

any more tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what I'm doing now :drinker: I will start walking and running on the street though, instead of using the sidewalk because people don't shovel them :grumble:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I will give away more of my homemade cookies. Last year I ate them all by myself.
    And I am joining a running group training for 30k. That should keep me going :-)
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what I'm doing. It is working for me so far. Instead of walking, running and biking outside, I will do it inside. I have a pretty well equipped home gym with treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, weight machine, rower, tv with a ton of workout dvd's. I never get night cravings, so I'm good there. I never eat after dinner. I don't sleep well if I am too full and I wake up with a food hangover. So I don't do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well...I suppose I'll get my nutrition on and then I'll get my fitness on...pretty much status quo....
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'll remind myself how I felt and looked when I started and then ask if I really wanna go back there again.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a huge problem with gaining weight in winter. It's mood related. I'm going to try to cook at home as much as possible instead of eating fast food, log calories beforehand, light to moderate exercise...I don't really have a good suggestion to overcome the winter weight though :(
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    So I have amazing accountability which really helps, and I love to workout and be competitive. So that also helps. I am allowing myself 3 cheats between now and the end of the year.. #1 Hibachi dinner with my trainer/best friend when I lose 100 lbs and hold it for 4 days (1 lb away), Thanksgiving dinner, and Christmas dinner. But- I will not miss a training session during that time.

Then, after the first of the year he and I are going to take big giant old black intimidating calipers and measure mm of fat at every test sight. He has challenged my to 16 straight weeks of no cheating, no missing training, 5 days a week cardio as if I'm training for a figure competition. Then after the 16 weeks, measure again. It's only his eyes, but that's enough for me. I'm excited to finish this strong!!!! It's been a long 2 years. This 3rd year is going to be the best of all.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    the same as i do now, except minus hiking with all the snow. debating getting some good *kitten* snow shoes and booties for my dog, because there is a good trail for winter it is part of an abandoned estate so the road used to be paved, that would be better to treck through than straight up trails of climbing rocks and tripping over ****. but other than that, just doing the same thing. never really had an issue with gaining over the winter.

your plan sounds like a good idea. no stretch pants! but they're so comfy! but then you get too comfy and here comes the weight lol. i wanna get jeggings.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In the past, this has always been the time of year when I put on quite a bit of weight. This year, however, I'm coming into winter having maintained my current weight (after losing earlier in the year) over the past few months and I'm hoping to just continue with what I've been doing so far. What's gotten me into trouble in the past, I think, is the lack of activity (read: lack of motivation to carry on with exercise routines that I had started in the spring and summer) due to the cooler weather coupled with eating everything in sight.

Unless it's a total white-out blizzard outside, which isn't terribly common around here, I plan on lacing up my running shoes and hitting the pavement four days a week just like I've been doing all along. I'm also going to do a better job of restraining myself when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Good habits aren't only to be used when the weather is fair.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What I'll do is to plan ahead with my meals, just like I've been doing so far. That way I can plan for holiday treats without going crazy. I'll also keep up with my exercise. In fact, I plan to keep losing weight over the winter to keep moving towards my goal.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Great thread!! This has been a problem for me every year. I normally gain from 5-10lbs from Oct to Jan. Why? I get lazy and I eat more. Also there are so many darn birthdays during this time, including mine, and the festivities, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. So plans to prevent this have started already. I started logging in my foods more often, watching what I eat, stop eating at a specific time in the evening, and doing my workouts consistently. I am a Zumba instructor and I started a challenge with my students. The goal is to at least maintain their weight at the end of Dec. The winner will get free Zumba classes from Jan to Jun of 2014!!! They are motivated!! Some have lost weight already! :drinker:
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I ♥ your list!!! I will be posting some of these on my mirror!! Keep up the good work and keep your eye on your goals!! :flowerforyou:
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I'll remind myself how I felt and looked when I started and then ask if I really wanna go back there again.

So true!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Just keep on doing what I'm doing now - except wear a rain jacket and take an umbrella for my lunchtime walks.....I do weights and P90X cardio in my basement regardless of the weather.....And I will still eat steak at least once a week...Steak is gooooood....:bigsmile:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The season doesn't change anything for me. I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing and I'll continue to lose. I'll eat healthy & get my workouts in.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    embracing the fruit teas as a healthy and cosy evening snack when you just want to cuddle up to avoid the cookies and pies.
  • hopeteeple
    Options
    Hitting the gym 5 days a week.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Same as last year. Not to spend Christmas and New year with people who think, the holiday season is all about how much food and alcohol you can consume, as if your life depended on it.
  • midwestmixtape
    midwestmixtape Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    JUST SAY NO TO CHEAT DAYS FOR THANKSGIVING / CHRISTMAS AND REMEMBER THAT I HAVE TOTAL CONTROL OVER WHAT CRAP I PUT INTO MY MOUTH

Yeah. :3
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can walk around my frozen yard (acres) and pretend to work on each plant, pull non-existant weeds, and make digging motions in frozen ground :D Oh, my activity declines in the winter for sure! I'm thinking about walking at the nearby walking track as a replacement or doing winter hiking if I can make that convenient at all.

I wish I could go back to the pool at my old gym, but they started keeping it so cold, especially in the winter. I can't do cold water :( Tenses my bad back no matter how much I try to control it.