Ladies who work out at home!

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I do a lot of bodyweight exercises that are designed to put a lot of weight on the part you are working (often in odd positions). And I add weight to other bodyweight moves, so it doesn't take hundreds of pounds of weights and all that gym space, because I don't have those. I do use things like large sand bags as weights, too, lol. They work well!

I have to do a lot of isolation work anyway for other reasons, but that's another way to limit having to buy the really heavy weights if that's what's holding anyone back. Non-compound moves use fewer muscles, so you can't lift as much as you can with compound moves. So you don't need weights as heavy :)

I love DVDs. I get all of my cardio from DVDs (dance, mainly), and I also use them for flexibility, dynamic stretch warmups, and yoga.
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    There are 2 apps I used. One which was Nike Training Club but I found that too advanced for me. The one I use now is called WorkOut Trainer. It's a free app and I LOVE it!! They are set to different intervals from 5 mins to an hour. It also helps you track your calories. Good luck!
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    I have a gym membership but sometimes I can't make it, right now we are down to one car so on those days I use the Wii or Xbox
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack atm, have completed 30 day shred. Loving her workouts. :love:
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Fitness Blender!!!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    What have you found most effective for weight loss?

Stopped going to the gym a couple of months ago because it's crap and too much money. I will join a cheaper gym in the new year. I would do it now but i need all the money i can get for xmas!

I have an aerobic step but i don't feel like i've got a good workout in! So what do you do? Any good youtube videos that aren't boring?

I have another 30 lbs to lose and i want them gone! I need someone to kick me up my *kitten* cause this is the 2nd day i haven't worked out for! :(

I decided to invest some money in weights and a barbell. I got a bench for £1 on eBay (seriously) and a pair of sturdy squat stands for £40 second hand and started Stronglifts 5x5. I've lost 35lb since the beginning of the year. It's satisfying, effective and I get to eat like a major pig.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I do a lot of workout videos (torrent sites are your friend) T25, Chalean Extreme, a couple of different Jillian Michaels videos (they're very cheap), etc. I bought a weight bench and barbell/plates off of Craigslist for $30, so I have that for my lifting, and the videos for cardio. I've never stepped foot in a gym.
  • i use dvds like the biggest loser and soon to use insanity. i have weights and do strength training. i have a book for that too again the biggest loser. i walk and have an exercise bike xxx
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    I'm spoiled with a treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike. I do them every day for years now and it doesn't bore me because I watch a show or read a book while on them. It's the best investment we ever made! I'm just lucky we have space for it, I know not everyone does.
  • What I do: Weights, stretch bands, dance (high energy cardio/can include HIIT), running

Other stuff you may like: Blogilates (http://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates) & DVDs like P90x (better idea than Blogilates)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 521 Member
    I've found Jillian Michaels' DVDs invaluable! I've just finished 30 day shred and about to start 6 week 6 pack tonight!! Most of her vids are between 25-45 minutes, and all you need are some hand weights!

I cycle, and have just ordered the JM's 30 Day Shred after reading heaps of positive reviews on MFP and on Amazon.com. Love that it is an intense workout in a short time frame and only requires the hand weights :).
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    you can get 30 day shred on youtube for free, and tons of others as well, just type in what type of workout you're looking for and a ton of stuff will show up
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    I let my gym membership go in favor of C25K, and a couple of weights and stretch bands. There are lots of things you can do at home that don't require bulky equipment but the question for some people is do you have the discipline to actually do it without the drive to the gym?
    oooo i do C25K, got some stretch bands recently and have a small dumbbell.... just trying to figure out what activities to do with them
  • maura_michelle14
    maura_michelle14 Posts: 2 Member
    I've started using Leslie Sansone's dvds. They give a really good workout & seem to go by pretty fast
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    I use this https://www.skimble.com/workouts
    I have the app on my phone, been doing workouts off it since Aug. 27th. Havn't lost much weight since then, since I don't have much more to go, but have definitely gotten definition going in my stomach. I use the free workouts, not necessary to pay for working out. But they have an awesome assortment to go through.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    I have free weights left over from my husband and son about 3 times/week. I have some exercise DVD's and use a hula hoop and a stationery bike in front of the TV. I also walk and sometimes run outside and lots of yard work, housework, hiking sometimes. The gym works for me when it is convenient, but I always find things to do when I am not at the gym. The key to this working for me is to set up a certain time of the day to do exercise. Any other time is extra which I sometimes fit in too.
  • Walking. If you can manage a 3-4 mile walk, at a brisk pace, it's a way to (1) get/stay fit and toned, (2) not get bored--change of route = change of scenery, (3) get fresh air. I was so tired of working out in dark, sweaty, stinky gyms. Buy a pair of snow sneakers for bad weather. It's fun to walk in the snow. The only thing I avoid is the rain. Best fitness partner ever = a dog! A dog never complains and are a great source of enthusiasm and motivation.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    I take dance, I have JM 30 day shred, I walk or jog down the road, stretch/yoga, hike, play with animals, have a in home weight bench, and there is no limit to exercises that just use your body. Look up no equipment exercises. The fact is, there is a BUNCH you can do, but you have to do it.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Fitness Blender and BeFit videos on youtube are great. BeFit actually has a 90-day workout program that you can follow (BeFitin90). Fitness blender, you either have to plan out your workouts or purchase one of there workout programs (I think it was only 8 bucks) if you're not into the whole planning thing. I am also doing Insanity....it was expensive but it was my treat to myself :-)
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    I do the Walk Away The Pounds (WATP) videos at home. You can find the full workouts on Youtube as well as renting them from Netflix. I do the 2 mile ones when Im tired and 3 and 4 mile ones on normal days. For more intensity, on the knee up move-- instead of just doing a hand to knee crossover, I do an elbow to knee crossover. Much more of a standing 'crunch' on the abs.