Do you use a kitchen scale to weigh foods?

Options
Do you use a kitchen scale to weigh food (ounces and/or grams)? I read that it's best to measure things versus using measuring cups or spoons - for example it's best to measure an "ounce" of nuts versus counting them out or using a measuring cup/spoons.
I purchased one this weekend from Amazon...here's the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CM6TVI/ref=oss_product

Do you use one?

:drinker:

Replies

• ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    Yep, I actually just bought a new one because the one I was using broke. I love my scale though, it really is a lot more accurate than measuring spoons/cups; at least in my opinion.
  • melani75
    melani75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do..I think it's much easier to weigh than try to measure out. It's a bit of a pain when I'm measuring multiple items in a meal (tonight we had baked potatoes with multiple toppings) but it makes it much easier to know how to count the calories.
  • cviertha
    Options
    Yes almost always. It's amazing how much some things weigh, like apples? Boy some of those Honeycrisp apples were almost a pound so they counted for 3 normal honeycrisp apples. I do measure out cheese, dressing by cup and tablespoons. I think it's more accurate.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I actually use a digital mailing scale lol... I got it from Office Max bout 4 or 5 years ago.. goes to a tenth of a decimal and also grams.. I believe it goes to 3 or 5 pounds, more than adequate! I love that I can also zero it out and add more things to one plate.
  • twinsfan1976
    Options
    Mine was actually bought as a postal scale, but it has a plastic plate to put on for kitchen use. Easy to read with a digital display and just push a button to change from oz, to g, to lb+oz. Also has a tare button to zero it out after you put something on it. I love that for putting different condiments on my sandwiches and stuff.
  • nautiluver
    nautiluver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeppers............ I weigh everything! I purchased a WW food scale last year - it is wonderful!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yep!! That is my scale!! I have used it faithfully for the last year. Seriously, I'm OCD about it and take it when I travel, etc. :laugh: It's the only way to eat accurately!!
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do use one and it makes a big difference! I purchased a Cuisenart and I love it! It weighs up to 6 lbs. It has a TAR feature and you can also weigh in grams. There is a removable stainless steel plate as well.
  • Dan54
    Dan54 Posts: 15
    Options
    I use an Escali digital scale. It will weigh up to 10 pounds and weighs in .1 ounce or 1 gram increments. It really helps getting the calorie count accurately. For about $30 its a great tool for tracking what you're eating. It completely eliminates guessing at the calorie content of something. Its especially helpful since my wife does most of the cooking and she tends to be very inventive in her cooking. I weigh things as she is putting something together and then weigh my portions. It seems to be working.
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    Me too, Postal scale. I don't weigh everything just the stuff I have no idea about. I can now make some good guesses based on the stuff I have weighed. For instance my honey crisps are tiny, only 53 Calories.
  • annie008
    Options
    Yup!...I weigh just about everything!....but I also use the cups and spoons because I use the metric that is on labels. For example, cereal is measured in cups....so I measure in cups. But like rice and meats or fruits....yup all that goes on the scale!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    No, but it's on my Christmas list. :)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I actually bought the same scale last weekend. It have been great to measure my whey protein, peanut butter, and oatmeal. I use it daily. Measuring cups are very misleading.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: absolutely, I couldn't be without my kitchen scale......i use it all the time :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at digital scales this past weekend. That looks like a pretty good price too. Glad I didn't buy one already! Thanks
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    yes yes and yes agajn,

I know what I should be eating, my problem is portion control and believe me when I say that I could eat 10000 calories of diet food per day without my scale,

I measure everything

I have been measuring for more than 2 months and until my appetite reduces I will continue to use my marvelous machine,

I could even overeat on baby carrots :sad:

lately I have noticed some of the generic foods like apples have 100g measurements and instead of thinking my apple was an average apple, 50 calories I have found my apple is 238g and is like 115 calories, now this 65 calorie difference may not seem like much but if I eat 2 apples a day it could and I may really want to eat a tomato instead,

so get yourself the best digital scale, one that weighs in oz and g and weigh everything
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    That's the same one I use!

Even though I am done losing weight, I still use it daily for most things. Nuts, cheese, pasta, rice, bread, meat
  • lovemy2girls9905
    Options
    I weight and measure everything, it's the only way I know I'm not accidently cheating
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We have the Biggest Loser food scale and use it for everything solid. If its liquid, we still use the measuring cups and tablespoons.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A "BIG" Thank-You to all who responded to this topic. Wow, I guess I've been behind the 8 ball with not weighing my food. Everything you guys said made sense - for example, weighing an apple.

I can't wait until I get the one I ordered from Amazon.

:drinker:

Good Luck to you all.........:flowerforyou: