Coolest NSV ever. No, seriously. THE COOLEST.

Options
brookielaw
brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
Today I did the coolest thing I have done in my entire life.
I rappelled down a building in a fundraiser for Special Olympics Texas. Last year when I weighed more than 350 lbs I watched two of my friends go down. I probably looked a bit like this at the time:
73595621-6c8c-4052-8975-7c0bbcd67c49_zps4b209f9f.jpg

I'm not going to lie, that is a good picture. I was heavier than that when I started.

Anyway, last year, 124 lbs ago, my friends rappelled down their office building and I watched and cheered. There's a weight cap of 300 lbs. This year when my friend emailed his pitch for funds I decided to give it a try. I was safely under the weight limit after all.

It was a rough and scary start. I'm the speck on the left.
startingrappel_zps918604ca.jpg

I eventually got the hang of it (still on the left)
midwayrappel_zps587f3fd5.jpg

Eventually we made it safely to the ground
meandfinch_zps7be1ad78.jpg.

It was an awesome, once-in-a-lifetime experience (unless you're my friend who does it every year and I may give it a shot again next year when I am even stronger & healthier). I think it's the coolest thing I have done in my life and I could not have done it 124 lbs ago. (Or even 40 lbs ago to be honest). I am LOVING living my life to the fullest. I couldn't have gotten there without my awesome MFP friends who helped me to get busy living instead of getting busy dying. My next big event will be the a sprint triathlon in May 2014. What cool experience is waiting for you? YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Replies

• Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You're a pretty brave chick! Lol Congrats for facing such a challenging and making the changes to get there.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That looks like so much fun.

Congrats ! :flowerforyou:
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    That is really cool. Looks like it would be REALLY scary but totally awesome!
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ohmigosh! That is soooo coo! It really is the coolest NSV ever!!! So glad to see people who have lost over 100 pounds! Thank you for posting this! I love how you put it.. MFPals got you to get busy living instead of getting busy dying! I feel the same way! :)
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ohmigosh! That is soooo coo! It really is the coolest NSV ever!!! So glad to see people who have lost over 100 pounds! Thank you for posting this! I love how you put it.. MFPals got you to get busy living instead of getting busy dying! I feel the same way! :)

AMEN!! Go girl.
  • jbastone
    jbastone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Amazing stuff. I am glad that I can share this journey with you as my friend. You are an inspiration to me on a daily basis. Thank you for being YOU and congratulations on this AWESOME accomplishment. You ROCK!!

jb:flowerforyou:

35250411.png
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    that is pretty damn AWESOME. I'm so glad you were able to participate.
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Inspiring!!! Way to Go, GIrl! You are braver than me! lol
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Great post, but I expected this post to be about Antarctica or something.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    OMG! That looks so fun!!!!! Congrats on your loss, you look amazing!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    How cool! Well done!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's amazingly cool! I would so do that too if I had the opportunity. Good for you! And congratulations!
  • princesschelley
    princesschelley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    that looks waaaay fun!! I wanna do that! :) Great job!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    JULIE you need a mirror because so do you. You call me out when you see weirdness in my food log, you check on me when I'm down or injured. YOU have lost 110 lbs!!!!!!! And you do it while holding down a job and family. I get to be greedy and spend my time focusing entirely on me. Thank you!

And thanks y'all for the kind words. I applied for a local Biggest Loser-esque competition at this time last year. & Didn't get it...all of their contestants were smaller than me.

Pfffffffffffffffffffft I'm doing it with friends, family and MFP. So can you.
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yup! That's pretty cool. Congrats!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    First, holy crap that's high and secondly you are awesome!!!!
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yup, you're right, that is a very cool NSV! Congratulations on the amazing weight loss!
  • AnchoredinHimfitness
    Options
    That's so awesome
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    SWEET. Great job girl! I love repelling.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Very cool! I did a similar thing once when i was visiting Australia. When I got to the bottom I realized that I hadn't closed my carabiner properly. That kind of freaked me out retroactively. Other than that it was fun -- just check your carabiner!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!