Does anyone coupon?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I've been watching the TLC extreme coupon show, and I've noticed that most the products are either cleaning products, sodas, juices, prepackaged foods, and candy. I haven't seen anything that I would normally purchase.

If you coupon are you able to buy whole foods and produce. Can you coupon for dairy, meat, produce, whole grains, and eggs?

Can you combine couponing and healthful eating? If so how are you doing it?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I have never seen coupons for non-prepackaged meats or veggies and fruits. Dairy you can do as there are usually coupons for yogurts, cheeses, etc.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I've been watching the TLC extreme coupon show, and I've noticed that most the products are either cleaning products, sodas, juices, prepackaged foods, and candy. I haven't seen anything that I would normally purchase.

you don't normally purchase cleaning products? gross.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I have never seen coupons for non-prepackaged meats or veggies and fruits. Dairy you can do as there are usually coupons for yogurts, cheeses, etc.

This. Before I cared about what my family was eating I used to coupon. I would spend more time that I care to admit price matching, clipping, organizing, etc. I realized that cooking from scratch is much less money and time in the long run and healthier than the prepacked stuff. Yogurt I have a hard time finding coupons for fage which is my favorite, but I have been able to find loads of good deals on cheese, almond milk and cottage cheese.

ETA- coupons may different depending on where you live. Some areas may have awesome coupon savings on the healthier foods, whereas here Nebraska we don't get many coupons that aren't for pre-packaged foods.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

This. Before I cared about what my family was eating I used to coupon. I would spend more time that I care to admit price matching, clipping, organizing, etc. I realized that cooking from scratch is much less money and time in the long run and healthier than the prepacked stuff. Yogurt I have a hard time finding coupons for fage which is my favorite, but I have been able to find loads of good deals on cheese, almond milk and cottage cheese.

ETA- coupons may different depending on where you live. Some areas may have awesome coupon savings on the healthier foods, whereas here Nebraska we don't get many coupons that aren't for pre-packaged foods.

This is me most of my cooking is from scratch. I see where you could do frozen veggies and nuts though.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing, you really can not find coupons for fresh fruit, vegetables and meats, but I have found coupons for dairy and eggs. About once every couple of months I clip coupons for paper products, cleaning supplies, and personal items and get stocked up on those items. I just went last week and saved $55 combining the sales with the coupons I had clipped.

I don't really use any of the frozen or boxed food coupons, as I don't buy much of that type of food. I think you really have to be willing to stock up on things to make the coupons work for you.
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I occasionally coupon, but if you are interested in healthier food coupons, you can use the Mambo Sprouts website.

http://www.coupons.com/couponweb/Offers.aspx?pid=15046&zid=uw18&nid=10&bid=alk09031309117d4ae59c82612&opid=15046

Sorry, that link is long. They have some organic, non-gmo, whole foods type of coupons. I occasionally buy some of the stuff.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Yes. It takes patience and research, but I save quite a bit of money.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Cereal, tooth paste, etc. I've tried it but yeah decided it wasn't worth the time.
  • Jplante312
    Jplante312 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get healthy stuff couponing. I get almond milk, juices, and vitamins and supplements. Also toiletries and diapers. ! It takes time to shop but its worth the savings.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    First rule of couponing- if its not something you need or would already be purchasing its not a deal. That said, paying 99 cents for a container of laundry soap is terrific...but I don't go over board and I usually only buy what I can reasonably use up in 6 months. No crazy decade-worth stock piling.

Grocery coupons are just not as plentiful but you can get ones for pasta, eggs, Silk/almondfresh/milk products, sauces etc. Occaisonally you can get coupons for bread, chips, pop, frozen dinners but you have to be creative to find them. I use the ones for coffee k-cups, lactose free milk, deodorant, and Chex cereal the most since saving a little money beats paying full price for items already going into your cart. Im part of a coupon club at work so I get a bunch thru trading. Can't say that I have really saved that much over time but a dollar here and there does help.