Calories

Options
I have been saying for some time that I'm going to increase my calorie intake but I'm scared to! I've opened up my diary so if you could look at it and tell me what I could do to improve my diet and increase calories easily please do because I'm going crazy:laugh:

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Proper jam, semi-skimmed or whole cow's milk, sausages other than turkey (WTF !), proper hot chocolate made with milk, etc etc

In other words if you were to de-diet the food choices your calories would go up automagically.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Eat a minimum of 1200kcals a day + exercise cals. Work out your TDEE and eat under that. Make sure you eat above your BMR which you can find online.

Calorie dense foods like avocado, nuts are quite good. And yeah, replacing 'light' stuff with normal stuff - e.g. full-fat greek yoghurt is still packed with protein but will keep you full for longer and is more calorific.
  • Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eat a minimum of 1200kcals a day + exercise cals. Work out your TDEE and eat under that. Make sure you eat above your BMR which you can find online.

Calorie dense foods like avocado, nuts are quite good

Thank you
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I took a brief look at your diary and your overall calories appear quite low, as well as your protein and fiber intake. If I were you, I'd recalculate my calorie and micro goals. This thread is very helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I took a brief look at your diary and your overall calories appear quite low, as well as your protein and fiber intake. If I were you, I'd recalculate my calorie and micro goals. This thread is very helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thank you very much! I'll have a look
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Thank you very much! I'll have a look
    Oops, meant to say calories and macro goals. Micros are important too though. :ohwell:
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    On a general note, your diary looks good, you could eat what you are just a little bit more. When I fall short of my calorie goal I add some nuts, fruit or avocado.

Nuts are calorie dense and gives you healthy fats. Just 10grams pecan nuts (which is about 5 nuts) is almost 70 calories.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    In my opinion you are under eating both in terms of calories and overall protein. I will agree with the other people who have responded:

- add a handful of nuts once or twice a day
    - have some dairy (add a slice of regular cheese in your sandwich or add a glass of milk)
    - through in some more vegetables like lettuce (lots of volume while low in calories)
    - put in two slices of turkey instead of just one

I would also go into MyFitnessPal and change the percentages. MFP picks the lower end of the scale for protein consumption. Go for 0.37 g per pound or 0.81 g per kilo as the targeted number of grams and see what percentage that turns out to be. For me that meant raising my protein to 25% of my calories. (Although according to the book "Which comes first: Carido or Weights" I should actually be closer to 35%) You are eating at the 15% mark or lower and I'm not sure that this is enough to cover the needs of your body. Protein ensures that you have the necessary amino acids that you need to live. They are necessary for the creation of new muscle mass which in turn burns more calories.

There are all sorts of small improvements you can make that will add the necessary protein and ensure you are still eating healthy.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If I were you I'd eat more protein. I eat approx 100-170g protein per day & your only having 38g! Aim for 80-100g.