How do we choose a goal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I picked a number near what I could remember being. I had jaw surgery and lost a lot of weight. I got down to 175 and felt I looked okay. So I figured goal will be 165 and I'll evaluate from there.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    155 is in the middle of my range. 132 is the low end. The pic in my profile is recent, I am not a big guy, 29 waist. I think I would look emaceated at 132.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight based on where I was when I was slimmer before. I was on the higher end of the prescribed BMI/weight back in my early 20s. I was in good shape, wasn't obese or overweight for the first time since I was 5, but I still had too much fat on me for my liking. I could stand to lose a good 20 lbs more back then.

It also turns out that I spent a lifetime thinking I was a larger frame, when I'm actually a medium framed man. So it makes sense why I was at the high end of normal for a large frame, but still had weight left to lose.

I'm aiming for the lower end of a medium frame, and will adjust when I get within 5-10 lbs of that to see if I need to stay higher, stay at goal, or go lower. My ultimate goal is to be LEAN, not just "normal", which will leave me a pretty svelte man, like my dad was in his younger days. Whatever my weight is, I'm aiming for a low body fat level and an athletic build. I plan to look amazing naked.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 so when I chose my goal weight I picked a number on the high side of the height & weight charts. I think the range was 128 to 169. The number I picked out of the hat was 165. Before my weight gain (the last 2 years) I was around 164 for most of my adult life. Now I am just not sure. Does that mean my body liked being on the high range? Should I strive to go lower? Any input would help. Thank you!
    Find out your lean body mass (you'll need to probably get it checked by someone experienced with calipers for an approximate reading).

Now decide what body fat % you want to be. Then use the formula:

Lean body mass divided by (1 minus body fat % desired) to get a goal weight.

IE: Lean body mass 100lbs.
    Desired body fat - 25%

100/ .75= 133lbs

Hope that helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Failing2Thrive
    Options
    WOW! What great information. Thank you all so much!
  • StaySeeJ08
    StaySeeJ08 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just used my ideal body weight. My first goal is 150. Its higher on my ideal scalethen depending how the 150 pounds look I may keep going lower just depends really!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I've always been within the "normal" BMI range, so it's really just about dress size for me. I want to be back in a size 6, and for my height, that's in the 130-135 range. Once I'm at 135, my goal weight, I'm going shopping in my closet of "skinny clothes", and see how they fit. If they still don't fit properly, I'll go down to 130.
  • GreekGoddess7319
    Options
    Setting goals shouldn't be about weight because not everyone is meant to be thin. At my largest, I was about 275lb, but I did not feel fat (with exception of the times that my family and even a friend or two made comments like, "Why are you walking like a pregnant woman."). Over the summer, I lost a lot of weight because my mother convinced me to go on a diet with her and I reached my personal goal, which was to fit back into a pair of pants I bought four years ago. As of today, I am 214lb and I feel great, but the comments have not ceased. Of course I expect people who haven't seen me in a while to say, "Have you lost weight? You look amazing!", but still my sister told me she thinks I should continue to lose weight "for health purposes". So while I have reached my personal goal, I have set another goal simply because I want the comments to stop. My three sisters are all thin (in fact, I believe one to be anorexic) and I have always been much larger than them. My driver's license has me listed as 5'11"; according to the BMI chart, the "healthy" range for someone my height is136-172. I set my goal at about 175-180, even though this is still considered "overweight" because I feel good here at 40lb more than that, but it hasn't stopped the comments, and I think that I wouldn't look like me at a "normal" weight. Who know, though. Maybe I'll continue losing and hit "average".
    (Reading each post on this thread was a real eye-opener for me because so many of you claim that, at your heaviest, you weighed less than I have even weighted since 3rd grade. The first comment I remember was going to the doctor, stepping on the scale, and my mom saying, "I weighted 175lb when I got married!" And I don't mean to seem rude, but I would like you all to think about that and be thankful. I sincerely hope that one day I will be "average" and my family will hush.)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I chose mine as it is what I weighed before I had my kids and I was at a healthy weight at that time.