difference between dumbells and barbells?

Options
hey everyone,
I started lifting weights in march, but i only have dumbells, at home I use 10lbs and 15lbs weights at the gym I use 12.5lbs and 20lbs weights. Buying the differnt sizes in dumbells are starting to add up very quickly but I'm only able to get to the gym like 2 days a week. So I guess what I'm asking would it make sense to look into getting a barbell? i've noticed that the plates for them are cheaper so going up in weights wouldn't be so bad. Also with a barbell are you able to lift heavier? I know when i use the machines at the gym i lift heavier than when i do with free weights. any suggestions or advise would be great! I'm only 4 lbs away from my goal so I would like to start lifting heavier to get more defined.

thanks again

Replies

• Kailuadude
    Kailuadude Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    They're pricey but if you can afford them, get a set of adjustable dumbbells. They don't take up much space and go up to sizes that will likely exceed your needs. Bowflex has a 52.5 lb. set, and Powerblocks has a 50lb set (they have smaller and bigger ones too). Bowflex is faster and easier to change the weights; the Powerblocks are more durable. There's a few other brands out there too to choose from.
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would just get dumbells. Some exercises you can't do with a barbell. You can usually find used ones online that aren't too pricey.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would just get dumbells. Some exercises you can't do with a barbell. You can usually find used ones online that aren't too pricey.

yes. But strength is VERY limited. You can't truly compound lift with DB's

It really depends on what your goals on- I am much happier with a bench and a squat rack/power cage and plates than DB's.

I can get everything I need done with a 25 lb plate weight that I can with dumbbells. Dumbbells to me a lot more limiting than BB. But it's really dependent on space- money and goals.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you can make it to the gym 2 days a week, and do this

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • karimonahan
    karimonahan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanaks for that post! i had just downloaded that file this week but seen that it was over 200 pages i didnt know if i would ever read it! lol
    thanks again
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    All you need is a rack, bench, bar, and plates. Bonus points if you can get a pull up bar and/or rings for pull ups and dips.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at the plates anyway why not buy a set of the dumbell bars that you can put weights on just like you would with the barbell. Then you just change what plates are on it for the workout you're doing. Instead of grabbing an entirely different pair of pre-formed ones with varying weights.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    If you check Craigslist you can find them for very cheap or free. I Normally gave up my sets when I was about to have a big move (different city or town).
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options

It is true that you can't do some exercises with dumbbells, and there are some exercises you can't do with a barbell.

I'm personally strongly in the camp of thinking that the exercises you can do with a barbell are the important ones and the exercises that you can do with dumbbells are the unimportant ones.

What is the most important area on your body? Is it your biceps? Your triceps? If so, dumbbells are the way to go, they are easy to use safely and can work those muscles.

Is it your tummy? Your butt? Your legs? Barbells are the only way to really work these body parts and get the look you want. As an added bonus, building muscles in your core is useful strength for everything from heavy shopping bags to kids to yardwork, so it's beyond being about looking good.

Each person has individual goals, of course - just pick the tools that match yours.

Osric
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Here is the short and sweet summary of Stronglifts 5X5, and it's nowhere near as douchey.
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Also, read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about barbell training.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I think it is useful to have both, but if I had to chose, I would def. go with an Olympic barbell.
    Compound moves are done with a barbell and squats, deads, bench presses, rows and Oh presses is all you really need. In addition yo can do push-ups, dips and pull ups and you are good to go.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    olympic dumbbells, but, I think a barbell is more important for most people...

god-20.jpg

they are kind of bulky, but, they will make your weights universal.

ETA: I had to find a second image since I used a ****s sporting goods link and it was censored.. so stupid
  • karimonahan
    karimonahan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

yes. But strength is VERY limited. You can't truly compound lift with DB's

It really depends on what your goals on- I am much happier with a bench and a squat rack/power cage and plates than DB's.

I can get everything I need done with a 25 lb plate weight that I can with dumbbells. Dumbbells to me a lot more limiting than BB. But it's really dependent on space- money and goals.

^^^This exactly.