Morning exercise!!!

Options
I am not and have never been a morning person. But due to my busy life SOME of my training will have to be mornings. But I really struggle with performance ie speed strength endurance you name it when I workout in the morning. What I eat or if I eat seems to have no effect. I am keen to look at triathlons but with these being all earlyish morning events I am wondering how or even if you can overcome your own circadian rhythm to perform at your best in the morning???

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Do you eat before you exercise in the AMs? My performance in the am improves greatly with coffee! :)
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Eating or not eating seems to make no difference. And I mostly avoid caffeine as I have a heart arrhythmia.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    for me swimming is a good morning exercise. I can go slow to start and then speed up. I'm never as fast as in the evening for some reason but I still think its worth the effort
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    Do 30 minutes of light Yoga before you train.
  • AbsyPernet
    Options
    I always work in the morning, I have learnt that I need to get up at least 45 mins before my workout, eat a banana or a handful or nuts/dried fruits etc... in order to have the energy to last the whole workout, especially if it is a cardio morning, like Insanity
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yes you can overcome it. I used to be the worst morning person ever (about 2 years ago). It wouldn't even be possible to talk to me before midday, which coincidentally was roughly when I'd get up left to my own devices.

Fast-forward and most mornings in the week I'm happy to get up at 4.30 am for a run. There was a long time when I didn't enjoy getting up that earl but it's slowly been growing on me. Start by going to bed way earlier on nights before morning workouts and decide that you'll "just do it" for the next 2 months, you need to build a solid routine before you can truly evaluate how you feel.

In terms of food, I sometime have a boiled egg or banana before my run, but most of my performance seems to be related to when/what I ate for dinner the night before. I do always make sure to drink a glass of water just before bed and then one just as I wake up to make sure I'm properly hydrated.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of what you are used to! Just get started! You might not be at your best for a while but your body will get used to morning workouts and it'll get better!!
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    your body will get used to morning workouts and it'll get better!!
    ^ this. your body just needs time to get used to the new cycle. Usually takes me 6 weeks to be fully acustomed to a new routine.

Id also consider detoxing your system if you havent tried already as an option. I to was never a morning person but after detoxing for a few weeks i started waking up with more energy and alertness, somedays i managed to get through fine with 3-5 hours sleep. Detoxing can also help to keep your imune system strong. I dont drink coffees or energy drinks anymore. There are different ways to detox your system. I used medication(Ganoderma capsules).