I can't stick with an exercise routine!

Options
It is really hard for me to stick with an exercise program no matter how much I enjoy it. Zumba, 30 day shred, leslie sansone, etc it doesn't matter. I can stick with it for a week at most before I get bored and have to move on. Then I get bored again and the cycle continues. Whenever I redo a program my body goes through the beginning phase again to get use to the "new" routine. I guess my question is although it's better to stick with a program for its duration how much will frequently changing programs affect my overall progress?

Replies

• diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ronit_rai
    ronit_rai Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com/fun/go-from-zero-to-hero-in-one-year.htm
    just keep some patience :)
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I get bored with "programs" really quick too. But I LOVE tv. Mostly documentaries. Seriously, I could spend an entire day watching documentaries, and I love reality tv. So I treated myself to a netflix subscription and a tv connector cord for my ipad. My stationary bike is in my living room and everyday I spend at least an hour on it while watching stuff on Netflix. I love it! This is my main form of exercise, and I also run a few times a week. It has really worked for me, because I look foward to it. That is the key for me to be consistant with exercise, actually enjoying it. Sometimes I didn't have time to fit a workout in during the day, so my boyfriend will watch a movie with me while I am on the bike.

I'm not saying "hey, get a netflix subscription". If you look around at people's profiles, you will see that the really successful people have a passion, whether it's running, cycling, swimming, and some people have passion for programs like Insanity, Zumba, Etc... My point is that I haven't seen too many fit people on here who are bored with their workouts. I see fit people who are PUMPED about what they do.

So maybe just try different things. If programs all eventually bore you, expand your horizons, you just might find your new passion!
  • losing4799
    Options
    take weekly photos or make blog entries which publicize ur journey? it'll add a whole new accountability factor and maybe it'll force u to keep going when u can't be bothered (story of my life).
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have the boredom factor as well, which is why I am trying different things to keep it interesting. Sometimes that "different thing" is a long walk in a different town, but sometimes it is hiking up a mountain. I've never been a "hiker" but wanted to get out one day 4 weeks ago today, and discovered I couldn't do it. That moment became my starting point, and I've been on a few hikes since then. Today, in about 2 hours, I will go back to that same place and see how much further I can get after 4 weeks. I am doing zumba for a few hours after that. I have tried elliptical, stationary bike (BORING!), jogging, and by Christmas I'll be trying weights of some kind (waiting to have money for some professional advice, tips so I don't hurt myself). In the spring, I'll be trying kayaking. Once I gain some strength, I am going to learn to swim.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Who says you only have to do one of those things? Mix it up if you are board? Zumba one day, insanity another day, etc... I get board pretty easily so my routine isn't the same every day. I do lift 3 days a week and then run 2 days a week. But my lifting days aren't exactly the same each day (I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women so there are different stages and each stage rotates through 2 workouts... by the time I'm bored it's time to change stages) And to keep me motivated to run, I have a race I'm working towards.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't do any exercise routine. I just have at hand multiple workouts DVDs of many different types and I do whatever I like. I only set myself the goal of hours of workout per week and percentage of those being high intensity (to not end up doing Pillates all week :laugh: ).

I couldn't stick to doing a workout too often.

I don't say this is a great solution. But it works for me. I am toned (as toned as I can be with the fat remaining on me), I have a little muscle definition and I feel great. I gained also little by little workout endurance so I can do longer workouts.

But... this is not a solution if you want to be all sportsy and muscular, like a pro. Myself, I just want to incorporate a good workout in my lifestyle, I'm never gonna be an athlete, a bodybuilder or a hardcore working out machine.

Maybe someone eith more information in this field can help you more.
    But if you are just a regular person trying to workout a little, doing many diverse workouts can be a solution to doing the same workout for weeks/months. Of course, you should take care of what routines you are doing: to have workouts for all your muscular groups (don't skip leg day!), to have muscular recovery day after a big weight training, to incorporate the right amount of cardio and strenght training, to incorporate the right amount of low and high intensity workouts, to provide yourself a good warm up and a good stretch, etc.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It is really hard for me to stick with an exercise program no matter how much I enjoy it. Zumba, 30 day shred, leslie sansone, etc it doesn't matter. I can stick with it for a week at most before I get bored and have to move on. Then I get bored again and the cycle continues. Whenever I redo a program my body goes through the beginning phase again to get use to the "new" routine. I guess my question is although it's better to stick with a program for its duration how much will frequently changing programs affect my overall progress?
    I happen to enjoy exercise, wish i could spend more time/money at a gym... but if you don't enjoy - you tell yoursef that it's just one of those things you have to do whether you enjoy it or not. like brushing your teeth, or writing term papers, or getting up early to go to work, or whatever it is you do. iwhen i first started going to a gym i had to really push myself, but i could see the results so i kept it up. you are doing this for YOU.

as for what to do - find a few things that you DO enjoy and mix it up - do zumba twice a week, take a power walk twice a week, and do some strength training twice a week.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you think you are bored then you are bored.
    If you think you can't then you can't.
    if you think you can or you can't you are right..........

get where I'm going with this ?

I get it though. All those programs do sound boring to me too. Only because I have found the thing that DRIVES me!

Weight training!! I am very passionate about weight training and how it changes the composition of bodies.

If your interested drop me a line or go watch some videos of me on instagram my name is annacondak.
    I've been at the gym now consistently 6-7 days a week for a little over two years. I have the best lifting buddy in the world, my husband!! You don't need a lifting buddy to workout though!

I love the rush I get when I beat a personal best. I record my different workouts in my journal so I can reference them and try to beat them from last time.

The heavier the weight I lift the tighter and more compact I appear. My current profile picture I am 160-163 lbs and I am five foot seven.

Newbies do not get frustrated. Lifting weights is a skill like any other skill takes practice. Most people in their day to day lives don't move their bodies enough or work on their flexibility. To lift weight correctly and with good form starting out you may notice that you will have some things to work on. Yes use the videos I post for motivation if it motivates you but first and foremost remember YOU are the one that you have to beat not me. If something is hard or challenging then there is something you need to work on, If something hurts then perhaps you have a muscle imbalance that you need to work on. If something still hurts find a different way to train so that it won't hurt.

For example I've worked my way up to being able to do 35 lb dips. I feel this is impressive. I did not start doing dips with 35lbs though. I started feeling like a weakling with my 100lbs on the assisted machine to help heave my body up. But I kept at it I kept challenging myself and eventually I was so happy to be able to do ONE BODY WEIGHT DIP! Then you tell yourself WHAT IS NEXT!

I'm a true believer on starting with the basics. You need a good foundation to start with.

An example of this is why are you squatting on a bosu ball if you can't do a proper body weight squat ?

What I've done to get the body I have now goes as follows: Deadlifts, Squats, Box Squats, Leg Press, DB bicep curls, DB tricep extensions, Skull Crushers, Bench, DB chest press, DB fly, Cable Chest Fly, Pullups, Pushups, DB rows, Cable Rows, Straight Bar rows.......ect... ect...........not to mention the different intensities rep ranges and grips one can do

I'M NOT BORED

I invite you to come over to the iron :-)
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    She's right. You don't have to go hardcore like a body builder. BUT you can learn something from them. A three day a week split works for many that just want to put themselves in the "general health" My husband trains a 70+ year old man who is doing this just so he can stay strong and be able to get through his day to day activities without to much trouble!!!

He usually does an upper body day a lower body day and a whole body (three days a week)

Also working on stability as this client is worried about falling in his home. He has made some progress and now feels more confident!

A good trainer will ask you questions about your life style and what you are willing to commit to. The first workout should be an assessment of your abilities. It might seem easy but the trainer wii need to see what movements you struggle with and how flexible you are. If a so called "trainer" is having you gassed and going to failure on the first workout and they know nothing about you FIRE THEM!

I'm not giving specific advice (sort of) because I don't know anything about your health history or medical history.

I am only trying to inform some information.

Thank you.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think the important thing is that you are doing SOMETHING. I think you need to consistently workout, but I don't think you need to consistently do the same program. The only thing is if you do the same program it is easier to tell if you are progressing any (getting fitter), but as long as you are putting intensity into whatever you are doing, you should progress.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think you meant "won't". If you can keep going to work even when it's mind numbingly boring, you can stick with a workout. That said, a lot of those things are boring. I won't work out in a gym because I find it horribly boring to do cardio on a machine. Find stuff you DO like. Hiking, bicycling, and kayaking are my go-to cardio workouts. I use kettlebells for strength training along with body weight fitness.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I happen to enjoy exercise, wish i could spend more time/money at a gym... but if you don't enjoy - you tell yoursef that it's just one of those things you have to do whether you enjoy it or not. like brushing your teeth, or writing term papers, or getting up early to go to work, or whatever it is you do. iwhen i first started going to a gym i had to really push myself, but i could see the results so i kept it up. you are doing this for YOU.

as for what to do - find a few things that you DO enjoy and mix it up - do zumba twice a week, take a power walk twice a week, and do some strength training twice a week.

^ Good advice. Just do a variety of things to keep it fresh and more importantly, stick with doing something, whatever it is, on a regular basis. Once you do it for a month or so it'll become habit. Then it's just like the poster above said, it becomes like showering, brushing your teeth, going to work, it's just something you have to do. Some days you may not feel like doing it, but you do it anyway, and once you start seeing the results and your body changing, that will be rewarding and you'll want to keep going.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I just walk.

If I just walk around my apartment complex, I get bored and quit.
    If I just walk around the block, I get bored and quit.
    If I just walk to the store and back, I get bored and quit.

But ... I recently found a nearby park that has a 1/2 mile sidewalk already measured out. The walk goes around the park, past 3 ball fields, a playground, a skateboard ramp, and several open green spaces. As I walk around this loop, I see little kids, families, little league games, people with dogs, people picking up dog poop, people not picking up dog poop (!), kids on skateboards, people flying kites, 5-year-olds playing soccer, a flag football game, people taking pictures, people working out, etc. Each loop around, I see something different. I know how far I am going, and I can track my pace, speeding up or slowing down if I wish to hit a particular target. I see people walking in the opposite direction, and I try to project where I will pass them again on the other side of the loop. I play music and try to figure out where I will be when the song ends.

I don't get bored walking at the park.

So keep trying stuff. Maybe the next workout won't bore you. Maybe the next gym you join will have what you need. Maybe your next workout buddy will keep you focused. Maybe you just need to find a nice park and walk.

Just keep trying stuff until you find the thing that keeps you interested and focused.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I used to like videos too. But like you said, same routine, same jokes being told by the video host, and I'd get bored. So I signed up for a gym membership to take classes that had much the same material even though I could only do 10 minutes of Zumba before getting winded and needing a break. The new routines and interactions (whether it's talking to people or just passively listening to the instructor tell a joke), kept it exciting. Today you could probably get the same effect by searching additional exercise videos on YouTube and doing them till you get bored, then finding something else.

You do not have to do the same routine over and over or "stick to" any one program. You just have to MOVE to burn calories and get fitter. However you accomplish this is completely up to you.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Well, I hate pretty much all exercise. Some is interesting some even a little fun but I still hate it.
    When I was exercising regularly the only way I stuck to it was a simple self challenge. It didnt really matter which I did, but I had to do it harder everytime. I had to burn min 10 cal a minute. I had to get better. I had to do it.
    My most enjoyable exercise was bellydance and tennis. Bellydance didnt typically burn the min required calories so Id add jog in place or taibo to bring the average up.
    As long as youre working out semi regularly youre doing well.
    Keep experimenting to find what works for you.
    I'll be hopping back on the exercise wagon once I lose 25-30 more lbs. Current weight is too rough on knees and ankles.
    Follow what feels right.
    Kimmie
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's great to mix it up and great that your body has to get used to the new thing again. It's hard to know you are progressing is the big problem. With both weight training and certain dance/yoga or sport moves, it's really fun to have something you can't do yet. That motivates me and makes it fun. I get to see whether I can do 'it' again on Monday, and I'm impatient about seeing if I'm any closer :)

I'm so thrilled that I've gone from 'is that even possible' to doing this certain move with ease over the past few months. Ease! I have a handful of those that I work on all the time, and they double as my main strength or flexibility exercise for the part they work hard. Now I'm working on adding to the difficulty and it's really hard again. So fun :)

I get bored, too, if everything feels just like a repeat of the same old thing. Try to set some difficult goals that take training to get up to and you may get hooked on working on those!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    What works for me is making my own exercise routine. Its much more fun and effective then trying to follow someone elses because you push yourself.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Keep trying, you'll find your groove! Mine surprised me, I love lifting free-weights!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I have serious problems with stick-to-it-iveness too, if I let myself stop then it's crazy hard to start again. My "trick" as I want to try new things is that I don't replace my current routine with the new routine (at first). I keep doing my old routine while I "experiment" with the new routine as "extra exercise." Then I don't feel guilty or like quitting when I've nearly mastered the new routine and I can drop the old one. So for instance my routine is circuit training, I want to try zumba, so I keep doing my circuit training routine but add 15 minutes of zumba, then 30 minutes of zumba, then I'm reducing the circuit training routine or stopping it. I want to try yoga, so I keep doing the zumba, but start adding a 20 minute yoga stretch before bed, then start making the yoga routine longer and more intense before I feel like it's okay to quit the zumba. This way, I never enter into a break from exercise while I get frustrated trying to learn or master new exercise skills.