Tired vs Energized

Options
When starting a new workout routine, at what point do you stop feeling tired and start feeling energized? Is there anything nutritionally I can do to battle the sore and tired feeling after my workouts?

Replies

• lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing and how long have you been doing it for?

Are you getting enough energy from your food?

I tend to feel crappy and tired after working out when I've been eating crappy food (even if you're under in calories).
    or
    If I do a lot cardio I usually leave the gym red faced, sweaty, and cranky.
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I felt tired for about 3 weeks or so. Maybe less. Then I started having more energy, not less. Moving is easier, climbing stairs is easier.
  • livebreathelove
    livebreathelove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started working out this week. Three days were 30 mins on the elliptical and one day was strength training with a personal trainer. It's been years since I've worked out and my nutrition is pretty good. I do tend to eat more protein and veggies before my workouts.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Goodness me, 30 mins on an elliptical trainer for three days when you haven't worked out before - that's a very ambitious start! Way to go but - maybe you have taken on too much to begin with?

I imagine it was the trainer who suggested this, or your gym coordinator - but maybe you just need a bit slower start?

Example - I hadn't worked out for years, and back in May I started doing running with Couch 2 5 K. The first week starts with just a few minutes of running, one minute at a time - run, rest, run, rest, run, rest etc. Many people find this difficult due to low fitness levels of a typical couch potato - that was me. However, a slow start means you can conquer more in the long term.

I started feeling really energised and sleeping great too after 2 weeks of doing C25K. But I never felt what you describe - sore and tired. Depending on how sore you are actually feeling, it may mean you may take it a bit easy? :)
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how sore you're feeling. Miserable and having a hard time just walking/moving around? Then I'd scale it back. If it's just moderate soreness - that lactic acid feeling but nothing too miserable - then I'd stick with what you're doing.

Anytime you do something that's a totally new workout you're pretty likely to get some soreness. You just don't want it to be so much that you feel like you can't function, you know?
  • livebreathelove
    livebreathelove Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm trying to take it day by day and gauge how my body feels. Today, I rested because I am just sore all over. But that decision helped a lot and I know I can make tomorrow a gym day. I chose the elliptical because I used to be able to do it with ease. I'm quickly learning that I may not be able to do all the things I used to do - yet - and I need to be patient with myself.