Stationary bike or elliptical?

Options
So, my shins are screaming at me to take a long break from pounding the treadmill. I'm gutted (especially after forking out for running shoes!), but I know it's not the end of the world. Something needs to go in its place, though. Something low impact. Something ideal for HIIT workouts. I already lift 3/4 times a week - this is just for a small cardio workout on a couple of non-lifting days (on which days I can't make it to the gym to use their equipment).

My main contenders are the bike and elliptical, I guess. Could somebody help me come to a decision, please? :)

Replies

• DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    love my elliptical but if you are looking for higher intensity go with the bike. I get shin splints too and have to be pretty careful. great exercises out there to get over them--don't neglect them.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Its a personal preference which do you prefer using, I prefer the Elliptical but have both and a rower all quality items purchased in new condition from Ebay for less than a fraction of the price of any one new, if you have the room look for the bargains otherwise I rate the Rower as best workout Elliptical 2nd and Exercise bike last.
  • losing4799
    Options
    bike can hurt my back... I like the ellip.
  • KintsugiCurlyQueen
    KintsugiCurlyQueen Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks! When you say great exercises to get over them, what do you mean?
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have both in my living room, and I get a better workout with the elliptical. I've always found I can get my heart rate higher and get a good sweat on from it better than the bike. But that's just me :)
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    While I love my real bike and would use it over the elliptical, I would still prefer the elliptical over the stationary bike due to the upper body movement. I love it when my shoulders and/or chest are sore. It warms them right up and relieves the pain. I vote elliptical.
  • BethAnnC448
    BethAnnC448 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am doing my stationary bike..the elliptical gave me a strain in the groin area...hurt like hell for a few weeks..I was told that I was not relaxing my upper legs (according to my brother who is a weight lifter)..may try it again but will have to do it alot slower.
  • KintsugiCurlyQueen
    Options
    Thank you ladies and gents - at the moment it's looking like the elliptical! Although more personal opinions are welcome :)
  • KintsugiCurlyQueen
    Options
    Interesting! http://voices.yahoo.com/elliptical-machine-vs-stationary-bike-weight-loss-8400167.html?cat=50
    I just can't imagine HIIT on an elliptical, that's the thing.
  • kaz159
    kaz159 Posts: 1
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical over the stationary bike. I never feel I've pushed myself on the bike (got rid of it yonks ago).

I like cycling so hoping for a road bike for Christmas :)
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Interesting! http://voices.yahoo.com/elliptical-machine-vs-stationary-bike-weight-loss-8400167.html?cat=50
    I just can't imagine HIIT on an elliptical, that's the thing.

It simple to do HIIT on the Elliptical one of my workouts:

Warm Up 5:00 min:sec 40 to 45 spm
    Repeat 3 Times
    Interval 0:15 min:sec 50 to 55 spm
    Interval 0:45 min:sec 40 to 45 spm
    Repeat 3 Times
    Interval 0:15 min:sec 55 to 60 spm
    Interval 0:45 min:sec 40 to 45 spm
    Repeat 3 Times
    Interval 0:15 min:sec 60 to 65 spm
    Interval 0:45 min:sec 40:00 to 45spm
    Repeat 3 Times
    Interval 0:30 min:sec 55 to 60 spm
    Interval 0:30 min:sec 40 to 45 spm
    Recovery 2:00 min:sec None
    Repeat 3 Times
    Interval 0:30 min:sec 60 to 65 spm
    Interval 0:30 min:sec 40 to 45 spm
    Cool Down 5:00 min:sec 30 to 40 spm

Adjust resistance etc as required to make it work for you
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    My heart rate goes higher and I can maintain longer on the elliptical compared to the bike. I would vote elliptical every time. Plus it's easier to "dance".
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike and a water rower. I use these in the winter since I am a wuss and don't exercise outdoors when it is below 30. I love the elliptical and the water rower because I can use my arms. A stationary just isn't the same as a real bike since your arms are just sitting there. At least on a real bike you have to control it. The water rower also gives my abs a good workout and it is very low impact. I can do HIIT on all 4 of them.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I prefer the bike. But my favorite is the Arc trainer for lower body.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ELLIPTICAL!!! the only way to go. If I am getting on a bike its going to be for a real ride.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Which do you prefer in the gym?

HIIT on an elliptical isn't difficult; I just turn resistance up and down and change my speed at the same time.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I find HIIT to be easier to accomplish on an arc trainer than elliptical. I can't get my HR up very high on the elliptical but going hard on the arc trainer I can make it skyrocket.
  • theloftlady
    theloftlady Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The rower hurts my back and the bike hurts my kness, so I have to us the elliptical trainer....and I love it. Low impact and a great calorie burner, sweat maker!
  • heatedarrow
    Options
    While most have a personal preference of one over the other (elliptical for me), I found its always good to change it up once in a while. I found I plateaued a bit after doing the same elliptical program for ~1.5 months. I've now switched from the traditional elliptical to the total body crossramp, and it seems to be giving me a more intense workout with the preset "fat burn" program.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter. Intensity is intensity be it on the bike or the elliptical.

Do the one you prefer and you feel comfortable using.

Personally, I think the bike is the better option for ease of control when doing HIIT but that's just me.