Best Meal Replacement Shake?

Options
hlcook
hlcook Posts: 92 Member
Hey all,

Any recommendations for the best tasting meal replacement shake? I much prefer to eat food ... but I work shift work and often find myself in a situation where I'm not able to make or take food with me, so having something very portable (and able to stay clean...) is a bonus.... unfortunately most of the "add water" shakes I try are disgusting.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Milk
  • hlcook
    Options
    Milk

Noted :)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I personally would ditch the meal replacement shakes and find the time to make a meal for work. I don't like the meal replacement shakes and find they don't have a ton of great nutrition for the price of them. I also find they don't keep me full.
  • hlcook
    Options
    I personally would ditch the meal replacement shakes and find the time to make a meal for work. I don't like the meal replacement shakes and find they don't have a ton of great nutrition for the price of them. I also find they don't keep me full.

I'm trying that ... but it's difficult when you a) have no refrigeration and may be out for 12-14 hours and b) the same place you keep your lunch is where people puke and bleed and spew nastiness ... (I work on an ambulance)

What ends up happening is I end up trying to find a place to eat between calls, and ditching my lunch, which ends up costing more $ in the end.
  • Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Dont know if they are available in the USA but USN Diet Fuel Ultralean is one ive tried that actually tastes REALLY good. It contains milk powder so is quite creamy. Anyways here's a link:

http://uk.usn-sport.com/en/diet-fuel
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What do you need for your daily calorie/macro goals? Can't really make recommendations without knowing what you need.

Personally I like orange juice, vanilla protein (Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex), and vanilla ice cream.
  • daveculhane7
    Options
    try the Benevita weight management system,it was launched across europe last month and it is very very good and the shake tastes great
  • shrinking_sarah
    shrinking_sarah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use premier protein ready-to-drink shakes that I purchase at Costco. The chocolate is ok plain. The vanilla is a bit sweet but mixed with coffee it's awesome. (you can also mix the chocolate with coffee. or tea) :smile:
  • abuelita1949
    Options
    Have you tried Biotest Metabolic Drive Low Carb protein powder. Can be found online. The best I have ever used. Using it now.
  • violetrix
    violetrix Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of myprotein.com? They're good quality and affordable and most importantly taste great! I've got Mocha, Latte and Banana flavours at the moment and none of them taste horrible and synthetic. You can just add water or milk, I use a mix of both but either way it still tastes like a nice semi-thick mocha/latte/banana flavoured shake.
  • srowe0908
    Options
    Herbalife - it's amazing. It's how I've lost my first 20 pounds so far! I make my shakes with milk, but you can use water if you prefer. It's a powder formula and I've tried A TON of meal replacement shakes and hated them all. Herbalife I actually enjoy! I can get you more informaiton if you're interested! The shakes come in many different flavors - Vanilla, Chocolate, Cookies & Cream, Wild Berry, Cafe Latte, Dulce de Leche, and Pumpkin Spice (limited time only). I do them at work in a blender bottle, which saves time and money! Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, sometimes I just drink a Muscle Milk Light chocolate. When they're really cold, they taste good. Even my kids like them.

Otherwise, I mix a Jay Robb whey protein shake in Vanilla. Supposedly voted "best tasting" and has the following:

Made With 100% rBGH-Free
    Whey Protein Isolate as the protein source

110 calories
    Sourced from grass fed cows not treated with rBGH (Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone)
    •25 grams of protein per serving!
    •Lactose-Free
    •Non-GMO (made with lecithin from Non-GMO sunflower seeds)
    •Gluten-free ingredients
    •No fat, No cholesterol
    •No sugar, No aspartame
    •No artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners
    •No casein, No MSG
    •Made with stevia

I mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, half a banana, and some Crystal Light cherry pomegranate powder. Or you can use coffee, or whatever flavors you like.
  • pr_diva_1970
    pr_diva_1970 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I am a nurse that works the night shift in a very busy ER. Sometimes you don't even have time to heat up let alone eat. I started drinking the Designer Whey protein shakes and love them, especially the vanilla. I'll make smoothies when I am home with frozen fruits and I'll make them with milk when I am at work. I need all the calcium that I can get...lol

Vitamin Shoppe has them.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person and have a shake in the AM for breakfast. I started using IdealShape MRS and it was decent in water and really good mixed with OJ or almond milk. Price wise, it was the cheapest out of the MRS options I found. It's also not a multi-level-marketing system like Herbalife, Body by Vi, or Shakology which is why it keeps the cost down. Further to keep the cost down, you can go for a straight protein shake. I now use Syntrax Matrix protein powder. It's also good in milk. almond milk, and decent in OJ. Haven't tried it in water.

Most MRS and protein shakes I found were 130-200 cals per serving, not really enough calories for a meal by most standards. Mixing with something other than water will bump up the calories. Since you don't have a fridge available, you could use shelf-stable rice, soy, or almond milk. I think most come in individual boxes for easy transport. Adding chia or flax seeds will also bump up the cals a bit as well as add fiber that'll help keep you full. You could add the dry ingredients to a blender bottle and then add the milk, juice or water when you're ready to eat. The only draw back is that most shakes taste better cold verses room temp or warmer.
  • alibiani
    alibiani Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this!
  • vbodyme
    vbodyme Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Shakeology .. no brainer :)