Favorite Bread for Sandwiches

Options
Hi all...before I started watching what I was eating I often made sandwiches from yummy whole grain or multigrain bread, typcially from the bakery and it was so dense, filling and yummy. Of course those days are gone and most of the breads I see that are at a reasonable amount of calories are comparable to wonder white bread. I really do not care for this type of bread, even the whole wheat versions. I guess I can compromise and have an open face sandwich but thought maybe some of you know a great, filling bread that I can try. So what is your favorite type of bread for making sandwiches?:smile:

Replies

• MissKaylaDawn
    Options
    I love the Sara Lee Delighful 45 calories Bread. I like the wheat and honey wheat, just depends on how I feel that day I guess :). I do have to say I'm still in love with White Bread even though I haven't eaten any in almost six weeks :P
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I like organic whole wheat breads. My husband usually does the grocery shopping and he always buys something different, but most of the breads he buy shave under 100 calories per slice. They are denser breads than Wonder or Sara Lee, hold up well for sandwiches and taste great. Right now I have a loaf of La Brea bakery whole grain bread but it's not sandwich size bread. It's delicious and I like it but I end up having a half-sized sandwich for the same number of calories.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sarah Lee Delightful Honey 45 cal bread. I'm not a big wheat person. but I love this bread, and less calories than most breads. and surprisingly not too expensive.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I've been eating 100 calorie multi-grain thin buns.. very yummy!
  • carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My current favorite is Sara Lee 100% Honey Whole Wheat, only 45 calories a slice. I make my sandwich with one slice of bread but pack on the fresh veggies. Sara Lee makes several varieties in whole wheat you just have to check the ingredient list. You might want to try making sandwiches out of pita pockets just to change it up a bit. They come in whole wheat too, I like the thin pocket variety.
  • shintowa
    Options
    "Whole Foods Organic - Whole Grain Bread" 100 calories for this treat, but the bread is long enough that I slice one slice in half to make a small sandwich. It holds up well to whatever I put to it, and it is flavorful enough to be there, but not so strong that that is all you can taste.

Calories 100
    Total Fat 1 g
    Saturated 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Sodium 210 mg
    Potassium 0 mg
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Total Carbs 19 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 3 g
    Protein 4 g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 4%
  • laurawhitaker
    Options
    My favorite bread for sandwiches, Arnolds sandwich thins! Only 100 calories,comes multiple flavors, just enough for a sandwich....:bigsmile: :love:
  • phyllismassey
    Options
    I don't like wheat bread but love the deli thins, they're 100 calories, but very filling. You can even use them to make mini pizza's. http://savingdollarsandsense.com/2010/04/07/pepperidge-farms-deli-thins.html
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I love Brownberry Double Fiber Wheat bread. 80 calories per slice and the fiber makes it more filling plus all the other benefits of fiber. 5g of fiber per slice. 17g of whole grain. Very soft and delicious. I can't eat white bread...it tastes like cotton or something. Too flimsy and bland. :) Hope you find a new yummy bread.
  • jtinker2010
    Options
    I love Ezekiel Bread which can be found in the freezer section of most health food stores. It has NO FLOUR....made from sprouted grains. It even has protein. It is very nutty and flavorful and took me a little while to get used to, but now other bread tastes flat and boring. Try it....
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I love the arnold sandwich thins and also like using pita pockets and tortilla bread for sandwiches YUMMY and each is only 100=110 calories
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Arnold thins are Oroweat on the West coast. I also go to the farmer's market and they have a baker there that does wonderful breads with no fat, preservatives or sugar. Of course, calories are not on it but with 4-5 ingredients I can pretty much tell you it is much healttier than the grocery store crap. My sister likes the Sara Lee 45 cal bread - I tried it - it's soft like white bread but to me had no flavor. Earthgrains also makes a 100 calorie thin. Both sandwich thins are great for turkey burgers too. I also like a sandwich on a Western Alternative Bagel (110 cals and you can order online if not available in your area http://www.westernbagel.com/buy_online_the_alternative_bagel.php )
    I spread with Laughing Cow Light cheese and meat, tomato and lettuce - YUMMO.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I prefer the white bread lol. So I get the Heiner's 35 calorie white bread.

When I would eat the nice wheat kind, I got the extra fiber kind, so at least with more calories I felt like I was getting something from them.