filling, but low cal?

Options
I'm a little frustrated. I am so busy during the day that I don't find time to consume enough calories to keep me satisfied until dinner. I took pretzels to work for a snack today, but ate them when I found a few minutes between breakfast and lunch. I hate using all my calories on snacks so I don't. But I get so hungry by the time dinner arrives that I overeat. I drank a bunch of water on my way home from work hoping to make me feel full, but it did not help at all.

Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    try protein drinks or bars
  • eannes
    eannes Posts: 11
    Options
    When you snack try to have a little bit of protein & fat with your carbs so you will feel more satisfied.
    For example a piece of fruit with a scant handful (around 9) walnuts or cashews, or a slice of cheese.
  • LadyLynne
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. In fact, it actually gets to the point where I don't eat ENOUGH calories. My number is somewhere around 1,600 a day yet I continue to always fall around 715 extra at the end of the day. I can't seem to eat that much food. In between school and work I hardly have time to go to the bathroom!

I've found a few things that work though. I know it's not the best way to enjoy a "snack" but I do get a kick out of cucumbers and Italian dressing. I just toss them together and eat that when I have the time. Also, the tip about the protein shakes is good as well. I try to get as much protein as I can in the morning so I'm not stuck hungry 20 minutes after I eat breakfast. I usually have some whole grain toast, eggs, and a fruit..usually strawberries.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    If you need calories try whole grain bread and natural peanut butter, or nutella (not good if you can't have much sugar)
  • becomingsara
    Options
    POP CORN...especially popped at home (pop it in the a.m. zip-bag it and there ya go) it has a bit of protein in it, and more if you add things to it, like nutritional yeast which tastes quite cheesy on the popcorn! I have found a brand of already popped corn called popcorn indiana, and it is fantastic. Most of the servings is 2.5-3 cups for 130 cals or less. (which is not germane only to that particular corn...all popcorn in it's innocence is low cal)
    Hope you get some great ideas!
    ~ Sara :0)
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    One thing I do is prepare quinoa and make it into a salad with chopped veggies and a light dressing (olive oil/balsamic is great). There are many recipes online. It takes about 30 minutes but you can place it in 1 cup containers and eat it for snacks all week. It may sound like a lot of work but it isnt and the quality of food, the calories (low) and high protein content will definitely keep you going. It is filling and super healthy.

I dont get around to it every week, but the weeks I do, I rarely overeat in the PM. Hope it helps!
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    :smile: I like Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Peanut granola bar. They taste really good and they are pretty filling. :bigsmile:
    Good luck!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If I want to have something filling but low calorie, I go for something that is not high in carbs. I normally like to save my carbs for my larger meals where I can have proteins with them. Carbs tend to make me hungrier 30 minutes after eating them unless I have that protein portion with them, and most carby snacks are nothing but carbs.
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    :smile: I like Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Peanut granola bar. They taste really good and they are pretty filling. :bigsmile:

Aaaaaacccckkkk!! Those things are TOOOOOOO GOOD. They are one of the few things I've struggled with in the last couple of months since I started. I swear, I wanted to eat the whole box.

Snackwise, light string cheese is good, only 60 calories and really calms the tummy down. Or yogurt. Or celery and hummus. All fairly low calorie and satisfying.