Dinner party

Options
Few Questions
So if you have a Dinner party at night. What do you do with your calories?

A. You save them for the night?
B. You exercise more that day?
C.How do you count calories if you don't know what's in it?
D. You just eat vegetables?
E. Do you drink the wine?
F. You count it as your cheat day and eat whatever you want?
G. You eat before and don't eat anything in the party?

I found myself binging in parties and I don't like that.

What do you do in this situation?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I use portion control and eat mindfully.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Moderation on things you don't know the calories in. Portion control on the things you do know the calorie content. (veggies, fruit, cheese, etc.)

Perhaps one glass of wine and sip to make last longer.

Try to avoid any desert type foods.

Eat a little something before so you're not super hungry when you get there.
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Few Questions
    So if you have a Dinner party at night. What do you do with your calories?

A. You save them for the night?
    B. You exercise more that day?
    C.How do you count calories if you don't know what's in it?
    D. You just eat vegetables?
    E. Do you drink the wine?
    F. You count it as your cheat day and eat whatever you want?
    G. You eat before and don't eat anything in the party?

I found myself binging in parties and I don't like that.

What do you do in this situation?

Overall use portion control. I don't skip wine.

A. No, I don't save them all but will shrink down portions a bit and make sure my prior meal(s) are protien packed.
    B. Yes
    C. Take the best guess of mfp and add 20%
    D. Where's the beef?
    E. O_o how is that even a question
    F. nope
    G. No, eat at the party!

I use to binge a bit at parties as well, the way I curved it was by eating a protein packed day. I still drink, and tomorrow is another day. Hopefully your lifestyle is one that does not contain dinner parties 7 nights a week.
  • malena43
    Options
    hahaha

Thanks girl!!! :)
  • malena43
    Options
    So true!! thanks

Moderation on things you don't know the calories in. Portion control on the things you do know the calorie content. (veggies, fruit, cheese, etc.)

Perhaps one glass of wine and sip to make last longer.

Try to avoid any desert type foods.

Eat a little something before so you're not super hungry when you get there.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I cycle my calories depending on how I feel and what's going on, so if the food is good, I eat what I want within reason, and then just have a few lower days. If the food isn't great, I don't eat much, but I definitely do not , except when driving, skip the wine :).
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    if i have a dinner party coming up, i first decide if it's gonna be worth changing my cals around for the day. So i try to figure out what they're having and whether there's the option to stay after for drinks. If i figure i'm gonna want what they're serving and maybe hang around for drinks after, then i will juggle a good portion of my cals around amd maybe eat something light early in the day to hold me off. If i figure i'm probably gonna be really high on my cals then i may exercise a bit more in the day, or just figure it out the next day by splitting the cals between the two days. If i think i'm not gonna want what they're serving, then i'll just pick at a few things and have a drink and not really worry about the cals till the next day.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of the above. I almost always make an extra effort to exercise for the extra calories if possible before going to a dinner party/potluck/out to eat with friends. Then, I eat well-balanced but lower calorie meals throughout the day. While I'm there, I try to make some smarter choices too. I want to enjoy myself and try different foods, but I am less likely to go for seconds now or to eat more than one dessert. I also do my best to log estimates so that I know where I'm at for the day. I still may have a glass of wine too depending on if it looks like I can fit it in decently! Once in awhile, I've accepted that I might go a little over too. As long as it isn't often or by too many calories, I still feel in control choosing to use those days on the occasional dinner party with friends rather than at home binging on an entire bag of chips.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A. I would save some extra calories for the meal, but by far not 'all' the calories of the day.
    B. No.
    C.Rough estimates.
    D. No, but I do chose what to eat with some care. I'll try to grab something that forms a 'normal' meal.
    E. I'll even drink two glasses, no problem, but I'll fit them in my calories.
    F. A cheat DAY? There are no cheat days, only cheat meals.
    G. Then what's the point of a dinner party?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've been to one, and I saved calories for it and still managed to stay under my goal with two small pieces of pie (I had a bit of cheese and crackers and perogies too). It was tough though. I'd have a longer workout and stick to low calorie filling foods the rest of the day for sure.