1200 calories and swimming

Options
I have already lost 8 pounds and I am really happy but I have started to swim again because I used to be competitive and I am now swimming with a Master's program about 4 times a week. These are pretty intense workouts and I know I am burning a lot of calories, and I am on 1,200 calories a day. However, I think I am stalling my weight loss now because I am not eating enough calories. I will stay on 1,200 calories on days I do not swim but should I be eating more calories on day I do swim? I am finding myself very hungry and I am afraid my body is going into starvation mode. I just want to do this right :)

Replies

• lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would say try it! I started Calorie cycling after thinking I wasn't getting enough calories with my work outs, and I feel a lot more energized and say a sudden loss in body fat. If in a couple weeks, it hasn't helped, you can go back to your 1200 everyday :)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you log your workouts, MFP's calorie goal should change to allow you to eat more.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Absolutely add food ,swimming in masters is hard work.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    eat back exercise calories! and you dont have to eat them all back in one day if you cant! feel free to save them up and have them through out the week if thats easier
  • kaekubina
    Options
    Thank for all the feedback! Yeah, I input my swimming one day and it gave me
    Like 900 calories and I just thought that was way too much.
    I have been reading that people will eat some of them back but not all. Maybe I will eat 1500 calories on days I swim? That might do it.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I totally agree .. eating 1200 when you are exercising just doesn't seem like enough.

I eat back some of my exercise calories and I really think that is the way to do it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have already lost 8 pounds and I am really happy but I have started to swim again because I used to be competitive and I am now swimming with a Master's program about 4 times a week. These are pretty intense workouts and I know I am burning a lot of calories, and I am on 1,200 calories a day. However, I think I am stalling my weight loss now because I am not eating enough calories. I will stay on 1,200 calories on days I do not swim but should I be eating more calories on day I do swim? I am finding myself very hungry and I am afraid my body is going into starvation mode. I just want to do this right :)

If you are not eating enough calories, you will lose weight. Your weight will not stall. If you are eating at maintenance, your weight will stay the same. On the other hand, you can swim to your heart's content, but if you are eating at a calorie surplus, you will gain weight.

Are you recording your exericse calores? If so, is it possible you are overestimating them?

Are you logging your food? If so, is it possible you are underestimating calories consumed?

In any event, my feeling is that 1,200 calories is too low for someone who does competative swimming.

Instead of eating a lower amount on days you don't swim and more on the days you do swim, you can eat around the same amount of calories each day. Sure, you will be over on the days you don't swim, but you will have met your calorie goals at the end of the week, which is more important.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    These are pretty intense workouts and I know I am burning a lot of calories...

First step is to figure out how many calories this activity actually burn - "Intense" means very little in terms of calorie burn - how far (laps, metres, whatever) are you swimming?

As a frame of reference, a 160 pound person would need to swim right around 2 miles (130 lengths of a 25m pool) to burn 900 calories. That's 2.5 hrs of continuous swimming at a 2minute pace.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Trial and error I'd say too. Increase your calories slowly so maybe 1300 for a week then 1400 the next. Just a suggestion.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Trial and error I'd say too. Increase your calories slowly so maybe 1300 for a week then 1400 the next. Just a suggestion.

^^^ This.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I swim and do aqua and found the burns this site gives a bit generous too. I opened a FitBit account and their burns seem about right. I'd say calculate them there and log them here and make sure you eat those calories back or else you're not netting your 1200 and risk malnourishment!
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 1200 is probably too low for you on any day, swimming or no. What is your BMR?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I agree, find what works for you.

I lost my weight on 1200 cals a day and ate back most of the exercise cals. I have been in maintenance for nearly a year.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i think 1500 to 1600 would be good. Maybe even a little more.