Info from those who have been on a cruise.

Options
2»

Replies

• jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been on 7 or is it 8 cruises, mostly RC or Carnival to the Caribbean. Packing for an Alaskan cruise is beyond my idea of fun...I like the sun and beaches considering I usually go in the winter and do live in Canada where we get some cold winters...ha ha Most cruises you do not need cash as all purchases are charged to your room card and paid at the end of the cruise, you normally must have a credit card on file in order to do that, maybe they allow a cash deposit but I am not sure.

As for the cabin, in my opinion considering you do not spend a lot of time in your cabin a window is all you would need, an inside cabin is difficult because you cannot tell what time of day it is...good for sleeping if that is what you want.

Some times when your luggage will go thru security they actually x-ray to see if you have anything that should not be brought on board (weapons etc) and if any bottles in there they can and may open the luggage to check, that happened to my sister and they removed the alcohol and she had to pick it up at the end of the cruise so it was a real waste.
    If you can get an alcohol package and intend to drink, it is a good idea...I do not drink much of often so it is not an issue for me, I get the soft drink package and never need to worry....I usually get caught up spending in the on board shops and the spa...love jewelry and they have some pretty nice stuff...and after all, a cruise is the most relaxing vacation I can think of so the spa is awesome.
    I try to keep my purchases between $500-$1000 on board. I bring cash and make sure I have extra room on my credit card for shopping or spending when on shore trips.
    No ships have mandatory excursions but getting off and just checking out the places on your own costs nothing....and can really be fun but be careful to watch your times and where you get on and off your ship.
    I have never felt the need to take anything in the way of food on board, they are all you can eat so enjoy...there are some places, like Starbucks and candy stores etc as well as specialty restaurants that cost extra just plan for them if that is what you want.
    Relax and enjoy, I envy you!
    Bon Voyage
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    Well, I have been on 7 or is it 8 cruises, mostly RC or Carnival to the Caribbean. Packing for an Alaskan cruise is beyond my idea of fun...I like the sun and beaches considering I usually go in the winter and do live in Canada where we get some cold winters...ha ha Most cruises you do not need cash as all purchases are charged to your room card and paid at the end of the cruise, you normally must have a credit card on file in order to do that, maybe they allow a cash deposit but I am not sure.

As for the cabin, in my opinion considering you do not spend a lot of time in your cabin a window is all you would need, an inside cabin is difficult because you cannot tell what time of day it is...good for sleeping if that is what you want.

Some times when your luggage will go thru security they actually x-ray to see if you have anything that should not be brought on board (weapons etc) and if any bottles in there they can and may open the luggage to check, that happened to my sister and they removed the alcohol and she had to pick it up at the end of the cruise so it was a real waste.
    If you can get an alcohol package and intend to drink, it is a good idea...I do not drink much of often so it is not an issue for me, I get the soft drink package and never need to worry....I usually get caught up spending in the on board shops and the spa...love jewelry and they have some pretty nice stuff...and after all, a cruise is the most relaxing vacation I can think of so the spa is awesome.
    I try to keep my purchases between $500-$1000 on board. I bring cash and make sure I have extra room on my credit card for shopping or spending when on shore trips.
    No ships have mandatory excursions but getting off and just checking out the places on your own costs nothing....and can really be fun but be careful to watch your times and where you get on and off your ship.
    I have never felt the need to take anything in the way of food on board, they are all you can eat so enjoy...there are some places, like Starbucks and candy stores etc as well as specialty restaurants that cost extra just plan for them if that is what you want.
    Relax and enjoy, I envy you!
    Bon Voyage
    Thank you that is very helpful . I was thinking exactly that.. To go on my own off on the places they stop at.
  • Schatze1975
    Options
    There is no mandatory excursion .. I mean you can stay on ship and relax. I hope. Gosh I can see where these trips add up fast!

Correct. This is what my grandparents used to do after they'd done dozens of cruises. They had seen everything they wanted to see at all the ports in the Caribbean so they just stayed on the ship when it was at port. The pools areas, dining areas, and lounges are (usually) MUCH less crowded since lots of people decide to get off the ship to do whatever.

I may be just like your grandparents. I may stay on the boat.
  • Matt24442
    Matt24442 Posts: 324
    Options
    Don't get a balcony room, who cares, it's just more money, you are never in your room anyways.

Luggage- i just brought the suitcase that i had with me

Ive been on Royal Carribean and Carnival- Great food on both.

One thing on cruises is that it's too packed, too rushed, and a little unorganized honestly. I'd say go on the islands, especially the nice beaches and shopping areas. Enjoy