Do you HAVE To weight train of iifym?

Options
So I'm starting the iifym lifestyle. I have 100 pounds to lose and am currently not weight training. Do I need to start weight training to be successful with iifym? I just noticed on a bunch of forums that usually iifym is coupled with weight lifting. One day, I would like to start weight training, but I want to know if it's necessary. Any advice is much appreciated :)

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No, but you should.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't ever have to weight train. It's a choice just like any other exercise while losing weight. How do you have your macros set up?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not necessary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    IIFYM has nothing to do with weight training or fitness...it's just a philosophy that illustrates that you don't have to sit around eating nothing but salad to be "healthy". That said, many people who lift and are otherwise into fitness use IIFYM to optimize performance...your macros do have a direct correlation to performance as well as body composition.

Also, I would suggest that you weight train...cardio and diet will ultimately leave you skinny, but weight lifting will give you the rockin' body.
  • project_C
    Options
    Thanks everyone, sorry, I'm getting used to MFP and learning how to use the forums. Sorry for the late reply.
  • project_C
    Options
    You don't ever have to weight train. It's a choice just like any other exercise while losing weight. How do you have your macros set up?

Thanks for your reply. Currently, I went through Macro Fit to get my starting macros.

On a rest day my macros are 25% fat (50g), 37.5% carbs (170g), and 37.5% protein (170g).

As for a workout day my macros are 27.5% fat(66g), 41.2% carbs (224g), and 31.3% protein (170g).
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Weight training at least twice a week is absolutely necessary with any diet. If you don't do it, you lose muscle along with fat and that is very unhealthy. You could end up a fat skinny person.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Weight training at least twice a week is absolutely necessary with any diet. If you don't do it, you lose muscle along with fat and that is very unhealthy. You could end up a fat skinny person.

No it's not necessary but is highly beneficial.

Agreed.... incorporate it now as part of your regimen, no need in waiting unless you have some physical ailment that would cause you not too.... Best of Luck
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Nope, but it'd be good to incorporate it.

You can do basic body weight exercises aswell to ease yourself into weight training without using any equipment, such as squats/planks/lunges.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    With 100 to lose, it is wise to use weights too. I have a lot of loose skin I'm trying to tighten up. The sooner you firm up hopefully the less loose skin. No guarantee.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No, but you should.

QFT
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    no but you will look better so start squatting and get those thighs for the guys lol
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No, but you should.

QFT

Everyone should