I Have No Clue...

Options
So hello there...
I am 19... tired of being overweight...

I want to become healthy.
I want to feel better about myself...

Dieting is hard though...
Really hard :/

I'll help encourage others if you'll do the same!

Replies

• shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's a very personal thing, weight. Realizing what you want at 19 is great. I waited till I was in my mid 40's before I got serious, and I have a lot of physical problems.

Realize you are not the only one. Start looking at labels, portion size, calories, fat, carbs and protein. Portion size is usually a shocker. Enjoy the lessons, exercise, etc.

You'll have days you really don't want to do this, but look at all the success on this website. Keep yourself encouraged as much as possible. It will be come second nature after a whiel, but it isn't over night.

Hang in there, you can do this.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Dieting is hard so don't. Instead, make healthier choices now to set yourself up for success throughout your life. :-)
    Seriously, for the first time since I was 7 I am not on a diet. I am working toward a goal weight that will make my back, hips and knees healthier for the rest of my life. That I am looking better is a side benefit. :-) that I can keep up with my 7 year old is terrific and that I can climb trees again is just plain fun!
    Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend. I try to be encouraging and I admit it when I blow it.
  • CosmicAshtyn
    Options
    Shirleygirl91: Yea... diabetes and other health problems run bad in my family... I want to be healthy... and I want to be happy woth myself...

Melissaphipps: thank you ^•^
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Weight is such a personal thing, and motivation is sometimes hard to keep. But You've got this girl :)
  • idembia
    idembia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, healthier food choices is the key! And yes, read the success stories from others here for encouragement. I joined earlier this month and although I have never tried dieting before, I got a lot of info here and that equipped to make food choices that helped me shed 5kg in a month!

I don't like the word 'dieting', so I don't use it a lot, I prefer 'healthy' eating.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    you are right dieting is hard. but with this site and mobile app as a tool it can get easier. i'd love to be your friend and help cheer you on. make a really small goal and work towards it. dont pick your ultimate goal yet.. you have to take baby steps. otherwise you will get discouraged. also make up rewards (non food related) that you can have when you reach your goals. TAKE BEFORE PICTURES. i can not stress that enough. i wish i had full body shots and underwear shots from when i first started.. but i dont. they can be a great motivator when you compare pics later on. also id recommend taking measurements.. because sometimes the scale isnt showing results but you are totally losing inches. know that you wont necessarily see your changes at first because your brain wont want to accept it but it will be there! good luck!!! if you need to vent or rant about frustrations or anything with this feel free to send me a message. =)
  • AmazonEphiny
    Options
    First of all, it's SO GOOD that you're starting early! Lots of young adults don't really think about taking their health into their own hands. I know I didn't.

Also, I agree with what everyone here says. I thought it'd be too hard to cut down on what I was eating, but I've learned that I don't have to cut out everything I like. Instead of cutting out pizza or ice cream entirely, I just have to supplement with healthy foods, eat it in moderation and understand what my dietary 'budget' is for the day. Logging everything is so helpful.

Good luck! You can do it.
  • CosmicAshtyn
    Options
    Thank you guys for everything. All of your comments are encouragging and I just want everyone to know I will be friends with anyone :) and if you want to talk then shoot me a message. I don't get on the website a lot but I have the mobile app.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Dieting is hard so don't. Instead, make healthier choices now to set yourself up for success throughout your life. :-)

YES, THIS!