ouch! and input needed.

Options
so I was just at the gym, all ready to get my Monday on and start my week of right, and the gym was PACKED. like every treadmill was taken...I found on near the end and just barely stepped on and to my utter dismay some (idiot?not too strong a word here I dont think) left the belt running. I usually step to the side cause Im worried about this happening but I just didnt even think about it. so I flew off and scrambled and basically looked like a fool. not to mention rug burns on both shins and knees. I did hit my right knee HARD. right now it is scrapped and swollen and bruising the guy next to me goes "are you ok? I musta left the thing on when I switched to this one cause that belt was slipping" I mean really?! thats super dangerous dude. anyways......Im icing but my question is...
has anyone experienced such a fall on the knee cap? its slightly down and to the right but definitely on my knee? what should I look out for as far as injury goes? I wont work out tomorrow if it feels too sore but Im scared I did something bad...maybe time for a Dr appointment. what a drag, I really wanted to get some serious calorie burn in this week and tonight especially.
really sad :(
thanks for any input!

Replies

• Chipperoo23
    Options
    I would start with ice to take care of inflammation. Then feel it out through the day tomorrow. If it doesn't start feeling at least a little bit better tomorrow, you may have done some damage and require a doc's appointment. :\
  • ladymac67
    ladymac67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately, a doctor's visit is in order... ice and more ice - yes and try those heat patches to alternate heat and ice for the first 24 hrs. Don't work out tomorrow - or just do upper body hand weights or something else. Good luck! -Karen.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: when I injured my knee, I used a lot of ice and then when it didn't heal fast, I went to the chiropractor and got his analysis of it.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I do breakdance from time to time. About a year ago I slammed my knee hard against hardwood floor. I think it hurt for over 2 weeks. You just give it a couple of days. If it doesn't feel like it's recovering then it's bad news for you and you'd have to go to the doctor's. Don't freak out chances are you're ok.

Do rub it with bengay or something.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I have had multiple knee injuries and surgeries. I also have screws in one knee for patella stabilization. When dealing with a fall like this and an impact like that you definitely need to use ice and then alternate with heat. This will help with pain and inflammation. They usually say to alternate every hour to two hours with the ice and heat for the first 24 to 48 hours. It will be sore for the first few days and can be sore for up to a week but I think you will be fine. If it isn't feeling better in a couple of days then I would seek medical attention but I would give it a few days. It will hurt for a few days but unless your unable to walk tomorrow then you should be alright. I have fallen directly on my knee and it usually just causes swelling and bruising but it can lead to other serious problems like tendon damage and cartilage tears and other problems so make sure that you listen to the pain and let that lead your decisions. Hope that all of the above answers and this helped you.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate it :) this morning it is still swollen and a little black and blue, I think I may have just aggravated the bursae in the joint, but even though its a little stiff and sore I can walk easily and nothing seems damaged tendon/bone wise which is a MAJOR relief. ill take it easy and just circuit train my upper body and abs today and hopefully be back to cardio later this week...