Ladies who work out at home!

Options
124»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I work out at the gym too. At home, I like walks, bike rides, samba videos, and You Are Your Own Gym for strength training.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells, bicycling, kayaking, trail running. I started with Wii Fit but that seems like a whole lifetime ago.
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Some great responses here. Will have a proper read tomoro x
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do the Walk Away The Pounds (WATP) videos at home. You can find the full workouts on Youtube as well as renting them from Netflix. I do the 2 mile ones when Im tired and 3 and 4 mile ones on normal days. For more intensity, on the knee up move-- instead of just doing a hand to knee crossover, I do an elbow to knee crossover. Much more of a standing 'crunch' on the abs.

Walk Away the Pound is currently "unavailable" on Netflix but are on Youtube now. Hope they stay there - simple yet effective and she is easy to look at and listen to.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Jillian Jillian Jillian! Oh and Jillian micheals lol
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    For cardio, I walk when it's nice and still light outside; sometimes I'll take a 30 minutes walk during my lunch break at work. I also have a lateral thigh trainer - it's like a steppy thing, but the motion goes more of a side-to-side than just a straight up and down, and it B-U-R-N-S!!! LOL I read that it simulates hiking uphill. Yay. I also jump rope and use a weighted hula hoop (still trying to master that one) because they're fun.

But I know I need to incorporate weights/ resistance. My husband wanted to get free weights, but I can't use those because I have wrist (carpal tunnel) and elbow (cubital tunnel) issues, so we jointly decided to get and share a Bowflex. The resistance workout is great and it doesn't hurt me like straight lifting a 20 lb weight.
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use EA Active more workouts for the wii, there is a new one coming out soon called
    wii u fit which looks really good

The EA Active has step aerobics on it, loads of other stuff, and 6 week workout there is some intense
    cardio on there to sprinting and boxing

hope this helps a little I know there are some serious workouts on here so it depends on how active you are
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it varied to keep boredom from setting in. I walk/run (c25k) in the neighborhood, different paths each time; some days I do pushups, crunches, lunges, squats etc in the living room; some days I do fast-pace yoga with my kid or jump on the big trampoline for a half hour, some days I do the elliptical but it just died so I'm going to have to find something new if we can't fix it :( I'm going to be adding in some fit ball work and free weights this week, either way.

Other than my one yoga video, I don't dig parking in front of the TV for workouts. Makes me lazy.
  • HandyASH
    HandyASH Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical that I love!! I know it cost money though:(
    I am currently also doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred great workout, it is challenging and I feel the soreness the next day. i hear all the Jillian Micheal workouts are effective. I also have a 10 lb kettle bell and medicine ball. There are great videos on you tube for this. I have designed and coordinated my own workouts with these, the moves I enjoy doing the most.
    Hope this helps:)
  • fatcookie06
    fatcookie06 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    turbo jam and turbo fire are my all time favorites!!
  • emienne
    emienne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    looks like lots of great ideas here! Popping this message on so I can find this thread tomorrow and have a good read while I have a bit of child free time :)
  • joneschar
    joneschar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, saving for later.
  • rbienvenu
    Options
    It think it's gotta be a combo of many things for weightloss. The important thing is you have to take your weightloss seriously, you have to take getting fit and staying fit seriously. You have to get really aware first of all of the consequences of not following through on your commitment to losing weight and getting shape.

You have to look at, and really write down the consequences to your health, especially, but also in your self-esteem and confidence. You have to realize that during your life you affect over 10,000 - 20,000 people with who you are and the choices you make. You are an example to others, to your friends, your children and your family. And it's about taking personal responsibility.

This may sound like heavy stuff, but until a person really gets this, about how your health affects others then it's difficult to maintain that commitment and you'll experience the yo-yo dieting that so many experience. Losing weight and getting in shape is a head game more than anything else. You gotta get your head right before you will see any lasting results.

Then write down all of the advantages of losing weight and getting in shape. Get in touch with how great you'll feel, how your clothes will fit, how flexible and light you'll feel, the confidence that you'll exude. Write many of them, 50 would not be too many. And keep these lists side by side at your desk so you can see them everyday.

Also, it's important you stay hydrated. Make sure you are drinking enough water. Read the book "Your Body's Many Cries for Water."

Take everything out of your house you know you should not be eating. Set aside one day a week to allow yourself to eat anything you want, provided you've been "good" the other 6 days.

Exercise is super-important as well. Weight loss through regulating your eating is only one side of the fitness coin. The other side is exercise, consistent exercise. Even walking consistently daily for 30 minutes is better than nothing.

When you are really serious and decide to "kick it up a notch" dive into a home workout program that's had a history of success like JNL Fusion.

You can find that here http://yourfitnessfactor.com

Hope this helps. And much success with your weightloss. You can do it. If others have so can you!
  • StrongBodyX
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I know I'm kind of intruding on this forum section, but I thought I'd ad a recommendation. I workout at home, and vary my workouts between resistance training and aerobic training. I do a lot of functional exercises with dumbbells as well as push ups etc.

I also incorporate resistance bands, resistance tubing and mini bands. Level X loop bands are the exercise bands that I utilize for functional exercises. Anyone can find these at Amazon.com >> http://twe.to/fo8v. I use these since they contain four (4) bands in one bundle, and the 2 heaver bands are really rather powerful.

I spotted a discount code which one should make use of on checkout >> GP5TVQ4M <<. I believe it is for 10% off. Check'em out if you happen to be interested.

Hope this helps,

Shane
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred ...

She has a variety of videos/dvd and you just need to do it!
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Exercise really doesn't do that much for me. I do kettlebell routines for strength and shape (and dat booty), as well as yoga for peace of mind and flexibility. Burns maybe 200 calories per session, every other day... basically nothing. I don't exercise to lose weight, I eat less food to lose weight.

I know some people really get a kick out of doing zumba for 2 hours, but life is short and for me that is a monumental waste of time.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    What have you found most effective for weight loss?

Stopped going to the gym a couple of months ago because it's crap and too much money. I will join a cheaper gym in the new year. I would do it now but i need all the money i can get for xmas!

I have an aerobic step but i don't feel like i've got a good workout in! So what do you do? Any good youtube videos that aren't boring?

I have another 30 lbs to lose and i want them gone! I need someone to kick me up my *kitten* cause this is the 2nd day i haven't worked out for! :(

I walk to work because it's only a half mile away. I also walk for local errands. Walking is great exercise because once you walk somewhere, you're stuck and have to walk back. I've lost over 40 pounds since April by changing my diet and walking everywhere (and I've saved a lot of money spent on gasoline).

You could also check craigslist.com for your area. A lot of people buy exercise equipment they never use and sell it for huge discounts. Also, check freecycle.com for free stuff people are giving away. I think craigslist has a free section, too.
  • Plooty222
    Plooty222 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've always worked out at home and before I ripped apart my ankle last year tripping over a dumbbell that I hadn't put way, and I had great results with a combo of lifting and videos. My best results have come with progressive resistance training using adjustable dumbbells or body weight in combo with flexibility and a little cardio using videos.

Some of my favorite YouTube channels are:

- Body Rock TV
    - Lionsgate BeFit
    - PlumTV
    - Pop Pilates
    - Cafe Mom
    - Fitness Blender
    - Jessica Smith TV

thank you!!!
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the last week of C25K and will continue running after, perhaps moving on to 10k, I love that it's free and easy to fit into my day...I personally wouldn't bother with a gym membership again now! I've also done Jillian Michaels DVDs which are fab. I invested in a barbell, rack and some heavy weights which have been amazing but there is obviously a cost element to that.
  • jajsmom
    jajsmom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I left the gym over a year ago because of timing and childcare. I'll run on and off around our property, but mostly I mix up Jillian Michaels DVDs. I do them M,W, F. I also have a machine for arms and legs I use on off days.