NSV-Skeleton 5k Completed

Options
A few weeks ago I posted a 5k NSV of 40:30 over a fairly level course which was nothing like the 5k I was entered in to do today. Goal going into it was under 50, hoping for 45 (4mph pace), it was a very hilly course.

Perfect weather sunny and 65, a smaller race of about 80-90 people walking and running. It was chipped this year which is great for us who start towards the back. However I found myself in the middle and was worried I was going to mess everyone else up. The cue to go sounds and I find myself trying to PASS others I was shocked. Before long my running buddy couldn't keep up and started walking while I ran on. My music quit so I frantically tried to fix it, somehow it got onto a light rock station but it worked it was all upbeat and kept me going. I had my runkeeper app up and heard my first half mile was under 7 min so I was stoked. Hit the mile marker in 12:20! I was shooting for 15 so I was happy as could be. They switched the direction of the course making my easy part more difficult (hilly) but I did the second mile in about 25 min total. Heading back home I jogged most the downhill, got slowed up by a kid who got a pricker in him so I had to stop and wait for cars to go by before heading on. Mile 3 sounds in my ear 37 min...um what? I was thinking 40s...so I start running that kid that got hurt was ahead again and slowed up as I was picking up so I had to slow a bit. Get into the lot for the finish I turn for home and see it says 38 something so I find the last bit that I have in me and finish in 39:03!!! (and miss the time mat oops). Broke my training records by over a minute!!! I am so excited right now its not even funny! I beat my goal for the day by 6 minutes and improved my time from 2 yrs ago (strictly walking) by about 13 minutes!!!! Its amazing how having people to focus on helps you out in a race!! Didn't place top anything for my age group but did win a $25 gift cert as a door prize so it more than paid for my entry :)

Replies

• Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Adrenaline and excitement gets you moving faster everytime. Congrats on the PR!
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Isn't the feel truly amazing?
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    Yes it is all week I was nervous that something would go wrong and I'd do worse than I did 2 yrs ago. A nice deep cough set in last week, but luckily didn't affect my running ability. I'm not one who smiles much but you still can't get the grin off my face for doing as well as I did today (still about 12 min slower than the winner of my divison, but I finished ahead of a decent amount of people.) I even had my own cheering section there which felt good too, my mom came in from out of state then my very athletic roommates were there and they couldn't believe how well I did...I love impressing my fit friends what can I say lol
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Very well done! You exceeded your goals! :flowerforyou:
    When is the next race? :bigsmile:
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    Haha really wanted to do one on Nov 2nd a Biggest Loser one is about an hour away but looks like I will be out of town. Thinking about one in December otherwise most likely March :-\ Had a blast doing it yesterday though it was much more fun than my regular work outs lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!