Knee pain when running - help please

Options
Hi! Started running 4 or 5 days a week around 1.5 months ago. I've worked up to jogging 4 miles each time, around 11:30 or 12 min miles. Within the first couple of weeks I started having knee pain, inner knee pain. It typically only happens when running, and starts hurting about 1/2 -3/4 of a mile in :( . I purchased new running shoes from a running store, and they said these would help but they didn't at all with the knees. They are nice shoes and make running easier however, very lightweight.

Thoughts? Would it help if I got those knee wraps?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't experience knee pain when I run, but had shin splints. I don't have any problems, now that I have inserts in my gelled shoes. Could it be that you need extra cushion too with some inserts?
  • lisa4748
    Options
    I don't experience knee pain when I run, but had shin splints. I don't have any problems, now that I have inserts in my gelled shoes. Could it be that you need extra cushion too with some inserts?

I had thought about that, especially since these shoes aren't all that cushioned. Are you using like Dr.Scholls or something else?
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    Doctor! Go to a doctor and ask this question in case there is something wrong with your knee, if there isn't anything wrong then ask this question again in a fitness forum, but go to the doctor and get it checked first! :) I have knee pain when I run sometimes, but I got it checked out by my doctor and apparently it just is what it is... My knee gets sore sometimes and I don't have an underlying injury .... But I'm not a doctor and even if I was I couldn't examine your knee through your typing here lol so don't guess with your health.
  • physiologist
    physiologist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had pain while running due to lack of strength in the muscles of my thigh after a knee surgery. So all the force of impact was going to my joint and not being cushioned by muscle. What helped most was doing the strength training exercises listed on this page: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=363
  • lisa4748
    Options
    Doctor! Go to a doctor and ask this question in case there is something wrong with your knee, if there isn't anything wrong then ask this question again in a fitness forum, but go to the doctor and get it checked first! :) I have knee pain when I run sometimes, but I got it checked out by my doctor and apparently it just is what it is... My knee gets sore sometimes and I don't have an underlying injury .... But I'm not a doctor and even if I was I couldn't examine your knee through your typing here lol so don't guess with your health.

Thanks. I appreciate the concern and will if it continues. :) It obviously hasn't been bothering me bad enough to stop running. I keep going for another 3 miles after it starts hurting, several times weekly. It goes away immediately when I stop. Going to try OP recommendation on the inserts first.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

100% correct advice!
  • marniekerr
    marniekerr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Have you had your gait checked? Orthotics can do wonders for knee pain! Also, if your feet roll in, or roll out, it's important that the shoes you have help correct, not intensify the issue. A chiropractor, or podiatrist can perform a gait analysis to see if that's the problem.
  • lisa4748
    Options
    I had pain while running due to lack of strength in the muscles of my thigh after a knee surgery. So all the force of impact was going to my joint and not being cushioned by muscle. What helped most was doing the strength training exercises listed on this page: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=363

Nice. TYVM. Will try this too. Especially the stretching. I'm afraid to admit it here, but I never stretch before or after running. :( Could be the problem.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Check with a doctor, just to be safe. I hurt my knee back in early March and waited close to month before I saw my doctor. During that time, I could barely walk. He gave me a shot in the knee, and I've been good to go since.

Also, make sure you have decent insoles in your shoes (Dr. Scholl's Active Series are good). If you can swing it, go to a running store & get properly fitted for a decent pair of running shoes. A good running store will also check your gait and recommend the right shoes depending on how many miles you're walking/running each each and on what type of surface. A few friends who run recommended I do that a few weeks ago, and it has made a big difference for me.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I used to pop my knee like popping your knuckles, but I read that weight loss can help solve the problem. So, maybe your knee pain will go away with the same? Idk? My friend recommended me wearing gel Aasics ($40). I bought some inserts meant for running @ the sports store. As I said, once I got some cushion, my shin splints went away. I don't like to go to the doctor, so I'd try the inserts, keep your receipt, to see if that would help first. Once my legs got used to me running, they got stronger & don't get sore as 6 months ago.

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sooooo...... Two months ago you were sedentary, and now you're putting in 20 miles of roadwork in a week like a seasoned Athlete? You might want to dial it back a notch there, Tex. That isn't the type of mileage one works up to in just six weeks.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sooooo...... Two months ago you were sedentary, and now you're putting in 20 miles of roadwork in a week like a seasoned Athlete? You might want to dial it back a notch there, Tex. That isn't the type of mileage one works up to in just six weeks.

^this

Earlier this year, I did something similar using a program of my own design called "too much, too fast, too often". Sounds like you're doing both the TM and TO parts of it, and it may be TF for your current level. I stopped this plan when I developed a case of plantar fasciitis. My advice is to cut back on mileage and run every other day. From there, very gradually increase mileage. Even better, search around and find a beginning runner program and follow it, even if you think you can do more. See how your knee likes that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi! Started running 4 or 5 days a week around 1.5 months ago. I've worked up to jogging 4 miles each time, around 11:30 or 12 min miles. Within the first couple of weeks I started having knee pain, inner knee pain. It typically only happens when running, and starts hurting about 1/2 -3/4 of a mile in :( . I purchased new running shoes from a running store, and they said these would help but they didn't at all with the knees. They are nice shoes and make running easier however, very lightweight.

Thanks in advance.

Please return those shoes so my eye can stop twitching. I hate when people make promises that aren't so. I'm sorry your knee hurts but maybe try a program that assumes you are starting from a very low level activity and then works you into running gradually. I've heard of something called Couch to 5k I think and from the name I gather that it may be such a program. For the time being I don't think I'd use it till I got it checked out by a dr.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    look up "runner's knee". it is an overuse injury.

i agree with dav and jof. too much too soon.
    running should not be an extreme sport.

dial back the mileage - 3 times a week is about right for new runners.

one long run a week. your long run could be your 4 miler, but cut the other two in half for now.
    max 10% mileage increase per week.

get a good post run stretch routine, and get a roller for your it band.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance.

Please return those shoes so my eye can stop twitching. I hate when people make promises that aren't so. I'm sorry your knee hurts but maybe try a program that assumes you are starting from a very low level activity and then works you into running gradually. I've heard of something called Couch to 5k I think and from the name I gather that it may be such a program. For the time being I don't think I'd use it till I got it checked out by a dr.

bit too late for c25 now, since the op has already exceeded 5k. i agree there is a need to slow down, but no real need to do c25
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

^this

Earlier this year, I did something similar using a program of my own design called "too much, too fast, too often". Sounds like you're doing both the TM and TO parts of it, and it may be TF for your current level. I stopped this plan when I developed a case of plantar fasciitis. My advice is to cut back on mileage and run every other day. From there, very gradually increase mileage. Even better, search around and find a beginning runner program and follow it, even if you think you can do more. See how your knee likes that.

Ditto. Even as a "runner" I managed to increase mileage too quickly while training for a half marathon that ended with me having a strain and eventual stress fracture in my foot... and what should've been nearly a 30 minute PR for my race turned into a very painful 13.1 miles at a very slow pace. 10% increase is what is typically recommended each week. Like others have suggested, dial it back, check on your running form too. Your stride and strike can lead to different pain and potential injury.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

took ten posts before someone said this???

take a week off to recover... and change your regimen... if yiou dont back off your gonna snap yo **** up bad and you wont be running for a month or longer..
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
  • klhessling
    klhessling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Cross train and do squats to strengthen your legs. It will help with the knee (and hips and back)
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Agree with people saying too much, too soon - something I still do when I get overambitious training for a race. Do some reading on Runners' World website. Their advice is usually very good. Often knee pain is the result of weakness in the hips and back, so cross training is essential. Good luck, and congratulations on your progress!