Websites with training plans for 1/2 marathon?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a 5K runner but am planning to run a 1/2 marathon in March 2014. Does anyone have any good websites that have training plans they've used that were successful?

As I mentioned, I run 5ks for fun (and run 3-4x per week about 3 miles at a time), but I'm looking to step it up a notch and go for the 1/2! Any good websites or forum recommendations will be helpful. thanks! :)

Replies

• Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has good training plans. I used his Novice 2 for my first half marathon (and am currently using it again for my 2nd half, after a summer running hiatus :).
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I googled it one day and came up with a really do-able 20 week half marathon training program. I wanted an 'ease into it' program and this fits. Sorry I can't give you more info! Try googling 20 wk half maration training.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Just Google it and you will be able to do something that works for you. I just finished my first half today and i used a program that i found online. Basically one long run a week with 3 or 4 other runs mixed in. I also did some hill work and farkels.

You have enough time where any of them should work.

Good luck!
  • jusnwoop
    jusnwoop Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could try http://myasics.us/, I haven't used it for a 1/2 (yet) but have set up a training plan to get to 'sub 60' for my next 10km race.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    There are also some great apps if you have an iPhone or smartphone :smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I like Hal HIgdon too. I used his 10K training program and am doing the 15K one now.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I am using Jeff Galloway's training plan. Currently working my way through the 10k, and then will be using the half marathon for the spring, and the full marathon for the fall. I like it because I needed something that was built around being able to take walk breaks.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone.

I did try Googling at first (before posting this) but was overwhelmed with everything, so figured I'd see what some of you consider tried and true. :)
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My running buddy had found one online that we stuck to and it worked great for us. I don't know where it is, otherwise I'd send you the link but it was basically something like this:

Monday: 3 miles
    Tuesday: cross train (swimming, biking, or whatever)
    Wednesday: 3 miles
    Thursday: cross train
    Friday: rest day
    Saturday: 4 miles (+ 1 additional mile each week)
    Sunday: rest day

Then each consecutive week, the Saturday run would increase by 1 mile until we worked our way up to 12 miles. Then the Saturday before the actual 1/2 it was lowered to 8 miles so as not to over strain ourselves before the big race. Also, there were two consecutive rest days before the race, so Thursday and Friday were rest days with just a simple walk and then Saturday was the actual 1/2 marathon. The final weeks of the training also increased the week day runs up to 4 or 5 miles, depending on the day.

I really grew to love those Saturday runs and finding I was able to push my body to do things it had never done before. In fact, I ran 9 miles yesterday just for the fun of it. Being able to run further than you've ever run before brings such a sense of accomplishment. You will love it. Good luck to you!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Just checked this one out and it seems like an excellent training plan. I am in the same boat that the OP is in. I can (and have) run 5K's easily and would like to increase my runs to be able to do a full marathon in late '14 to early '15