Stomach Size

Options
I recently stopped a medication that controlled my eating. As a result, I'm eating more! While some may be thrilled, I've noticed an increase in my stomach (it looks soo much softer/rounder than before), and my thighs have also felt tighter in my jeans. I am okay with gaining a few lbs, but I just want to make sure I still stay fit and muscular.
My routine: rollerblading at least three times a week. Weights 2-3 times a week (dumbell "full body" work outs tha tI find on the internet).

Is my eating more causing a temporary "enlargening" of my stomach? I assume my thighs may be getting larger because of the weights.
Thank you!

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Any unusual swelling up is probably water and glycogen storage , or bloating from getting used to eating more food again. Both of those things should dissipate to a large degree, given time.
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's what I thought i found a long time ago, but I couldn't find it, probably from not using the right wording in google. I appreciate the info!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of "glycogen" causing a puffy look or making someone's clothes not fit quite as well. That doesn't make much sense to me.

To some degree, hydration levels can change how defined you look. Bodybuilders often intentionally dehydrate to make themselves look somewhat more shredded before a competition.

Anyway, you say you're eating more and you seem to be noticing a decrease in definition and increase in body measurements. Sounds like you're just plain ol gaining weight.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    I agree, glycogen not so plausible but water can cause bloating. Im sure its just you getting used to eating alot, i go through phases for days at a time where i look bloated and puffy but it goes away
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of "glycogen" causing a puffy look or making someone's clothes not fit quite as well. That doesn't make much sense to me.
    Glycogen was in reference to the thighs, on the understanding the OP is coming off a deficit after quite a while, which will store water as well, as you know. Water weight certainly affects how well my clothes fit, so not much of a stretch for me to make.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I agree, glycogen not so plausible but water can cause bloating. Im sure its just you getting used to eating alot, i go through phases for days at a time where i look bloated and puffy but it goes away

um... glycogen is hydrophilic?
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A lot of people gain some stomach fat when they start to gain weight. This is probably a very good thing, maybe even needed, as long as you stay within healthy limits. Try to embrace it and be kind to yourself....
  • jadisfeigns
    jadisfeigns Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all ! I appreciate the looking into it by a scientific standpoint, as well as what you said ViktoryaC...I have been learning to embrace it.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Some foods can cause bloating like soda, increase sodium etc..If you havent changed your diet but just eating more of it, you could just be gaining weight.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Glycogen storage is definitely a factor in muscle fullness. That's why bodybuilders will "re-feed" on tons of carbs the day before a show after being very low-carb for several weeks.