Weight training with no gym access

Options
Hello,
Sorry if this has been asked lots of times before, but I've been reading lots of posts about how weight lifting is really beneficial during weight loss, but I can't afford a gym. Is there anything I can do in order to replicate the same sort of effects at home? I've read a few people talking about bodyweight exercises - would this be a suitable replacement? And could you direct me to some resources to show me what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• coupe302
    Options
    Go to your local sporting good store, buy you a set of dumbbells (inexpensive), visit http://www.bodybuilding.com/. They have videos and pictures on how to weight train with dumbbells. I know a local guy that I fabricate all his exercise machines (I'm a welder) for bodyweight exercises, he is really lean and cut.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford any equipment, body weight exercises are great to start with. The internet is full of free information on how to's and youtube videos if that's your thing. I just googled it and found this. It's a 6 week program laid out in PDF's:

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/18-weeks-of-free-bodyweight-workouts-54-workouts

and yeah if you can afford to get some weights, that will definitely help. I got two 8lb dumbells at Five Below for $4 each. Or use something heavy in your house! I used text books for a little. Kettlebells are a good investment too.
  • Hedwigeon
    Options
    Thank you for your replies :-)
  • cathymalem
    Options
    HI, I would highly recommend www.fitnessblender.com. Has all sorts of workouts from cardio, but also lots of strength training, really user friendly. Thanks
  • rachjenn
    Options
    I'd suggest body weight training (such as press ups, sit ups etc) or if you can afford, buy dumbbells or resistance bands (often cheaper)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Resistance bands are a good option. They are $10 or less per band and you can get a few different ones and get the same effects. Then you can go on youtube or fitnessblender and get some workouts. Body weight exercises help too.
  • Hedwigeon
    Options
    Thanks so much for your great suggestions! :-) A huge help.