Low Carb Breakfast Ideas

Options
Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on low carb breakfast ideas.
I am currently eating a small bowl of Sainsburys Balance cereal which seems to keep me full until lunch time, but I am aware it is higher in sugar than I should be taking in.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
L

Replies

• slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelette seems to do the trick, add some tomatoes and spinich. Or use two whites and one whole egg if you can not face a egg white omelette only.
  • Foosday
    Options
    Getting away from cereals and breads is the best tip if you're trying to remain low carb. Eggs and a side of veggies, the infamous "bulletproof coffee", dinner leftovers, frittatas, salads, meat, cheese...all those things are more typical low carb breakfast fare. If I had to guess, I'd say eggs/bacon is probably the most popular breakfast amongst low carbers.

ETA: There is absolutely no good reason to avoid egg yolks. Eat them--that's the best part of the egg, both nutritionally and taste wise.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Steak and eggs is my favorite breakfast!
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How low in carbs are we talking?

I have egg whites and greek yogurt almost every morning, but I also have a homemade muffin as well which can be "high" in carbs. You could also add some vegetables to your egg whites to make it more flavorful and hearty, usually green and red peppers and onion go well with eggs, and you can mix in some spices to the egg whites as well, maybe some garlic or onion powder?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Low fat yoghurt. Raw veg dipped in hummous. Eggs.
  • kaylacollinscna
    kaylacollinscna Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Getting away from cereals and breads is the best tip if you're trying to remain low carb. Eggs and a side of veggies, the infamous "bulletproof coffee", dinner leftovers, frittatas, salads, meat, cheese...all those things are more typical low carb breakfast fare. If I had to guess, I'd say eggs/bacon is probably the most popular breakfast amongst low carbers.

ETA: There is absolutely no good reason to avoid egg yolks. Eat them--that's the best part of the egg, both nutritionally and taste wise.

I do usually use one regular egg and then the rest are egg whites for me. I substitute egg whites to keep calorie count and cholesterol down and protein up. The increased volume of egg fills me up and it agrees with my calorie budget that way.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you mean low sugar or low carbs?

If you like the "feeling full till lunchtime" route - then try oatmeal. (I used to eat this every morning but stopped because i was trying to go low carb - i would mix two parts rolled oats eith one part instant oats, a few tablespoons of ground almond, some sugarless dried fruit like cranberries, cinammon. in the morning i would take 3 tablespoons in a cup, add boiling water and a little milk, cover the cup and let it sit for about 5 minutes. then eat).

nowadays i eat cottage cheese or cottage chese mixed with a little greek yogurt. or as others suggested a frittata with eggs and veg.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If cereals are your preference, read the labels on all the cereals and granola mixes in your grocery store and buy the lowest sugar/carb one. Add to a generous portion of fat free/sugar free greek yogurt. Add a few sliced or chopped nuts if your mix does not contain any. Add a few drops of liquid stevia if you desire the sweetness.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My fave breakfast is low fat greek yoghurt with fresh fruits (apple, strawberries, grapes, oranges etc) and a teaspoon of honey. I sometimes substitute the fruit with a spoonful of flax seeds.
    Agree with above poster, not all cereals are high carbs/high GI. Natural muesli or porridge may make good alternatives
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Have a look here they have some interesting ideas http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/ :smile:
  • ladyvaderpants
    ladyvaderpants Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and ideas.

I think my biggest issue is with retraining my brain to understand that I can have, in my opinion, "non-breakfast" foods such as veggies/meat for breakfast.

My brain is so set that it's cereals and toast for breakfast that it is hard to change my thinking.

But then it's only been a week and I have a long way to go!
  • beckie1982
    Options
    Thanks for repping the egg yolk!!!! : )
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Bacon and Eggs.
  • caker_baker
    Options
    I find the breakfast that keeps me fuller longest is oatmeal-add yummy things like fruit and nuts to make it less boring! My low carb breakfasts are usually protein smoothies. It's easy to sneak veggies into a protein smoothie (kale, spinach, beets). I usually put frozen banana and peanutbutter in mine and you can never taste the veggies. I find it hard to have protein in the morning unless it's protein powder in my oats or smoothie.

Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Smoked fish - salmon, trout, mackerel.
    Soft boiled egg with asparagus spears for dipping
    Slice of ham or bacon and tomatoes
    Egg scramble with any veg - mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes. And cheese.
    Yoghurt with berries
    Cottage cheese.
    Half a grapfruit.

There you go, a week's worth of breakfasts!