FAT LEGS UGH!

Options
Whenever I lose weight it always come from the arms/ chest first, stomach area next, and lastly legs/ butt. Is there ANYTHING I can do to lose weight faster from my legs (yes I know I know you can't spot reduce...)? My arms are getting almost too skinny, and my collar bones are starting to look a little too prominent. Any advice?

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It could be that that's your normal body shape. For me I've always had thin arms & legs and a bigger top half. No matter what exercise I do I'll always have that body shape. Some people just have naturally bigger legs.
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my weight around my hips and thighs, and when I started losing, it all came off my torso first. I started noticing changes in my lower body a few weeks after introducing strength training into my fitness routine in the form of a pump class -- lots of squats and lunges! I think that the strength training combined with filling my diet mainly with whole, unprocessed foods was the key for me. (I'm no nutritionist or fitness expert -- this is just what I believe worked in my case.) And considering how I was convinced for YEARS that I'd always have big ol' wobbly legs, I'm pretty proud of how lean they are now :smile: Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can't beat genetics. No matter what you do, your body decides where it loses first.

You can target muscles to strengthen or for growth, but spot reductions can't occur.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    I'm the same. My *kitten* is bigger and not in proportion to the rest of my body. I'd suggest working your legs in strength training - also squats, lunges.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Whenever I lose weight it always come from the arms/ chest first, stomach area next, and lastly legs/ butt. Is there ANYTHING I can do to lose weight faster from my legs (yes I know I know you can't spot reduce...)? My arms are getting almost too skinny, and my collar bones are starting to look a little too prominent. Any advice?
    There is no such thing as 'spot fat removal', sadly enough. What you can do is do some strength training to give yourself some shape. And no, it won't make you look like a bodybuilder.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can't beat genetics. No matter what you do, your body decides where it loses first.

You can target muscles to strengthen or for growth, but spot reductions can't occur.

This.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Hm. Annoying isn't it.

Once your body has used up all the arm/chest fat it needs, then it'll turn to the other areas.

Personally, I wish I could get rid of these damn moobs. But that's a way off - apparently!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

This.

Quoted again for emphasis. This is ME! But, I know that it will eventually come off. At least to the point of my genetic make up. Be patient.

ETA: While you're waiting, find a way to love the healthy, strong body you have. Aside for surgery, you play the best hand of the cards life deals you.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yup thats where all my fat is
    Thighs!!!! I guess just keep working at it
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options

This.

this again.