Work out 6 times a week, eat healthy, not losing weight

Options
Good morning, my Ffitness Pals!

I work out 6 times a week, eat healthy (1,200 calories per day) but yet not losing weight for more than 2 months

I have not lost much weight recently, I am jojo-ing between +/-4 lbs although I work out 6x a week. I understand that I am building muscle mass but nevertheless, I think the lack of weight loss is mainly because of my diet. I simply need to step it up a bit. I do most of the time eat very healthy but I am feeling that I need new inspiration on how to raise the bar a notch and also see changes on the scale. Any advice how to reboot my system? Thanks for input. Wish you all a wonderful weekend!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you tried eat back your exercise calories as the website suggest? 1200 calories isn't enough for a person who is active. Also, do you weigh and measure your foods? And on 1200 calories, you are not building new muscle, just making your muscles more efficient. What is your height, weight and age and workout routine? And can you open your diary?
  • rafaelaiam
    Options
    Thanks for prompt reply,

I have not logged food for a very long time, and the one that I did log recently is poorly representative of my otherwise overall diet. I will open it so that you can view it.

And yes, I do weigh my foods or have an idea of how many calories I eat as I normally always eat the same things. But maybe I should start logging properly again.

I am 171 cm, 81 kg, 28 years, woman
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Eat more!
    And eat clean food!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think the lack of weight loss is mainly because of my diet. I simply need to step it up a bit.

Ding ding ding.
  • vtotheicky
    vtotheicky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should eat your exercise calories back. If you're working out 6 days a week your body needs to be refuelled.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for prompt reply,

I have not logged food for a very long time, and the one that I did log recently is poorly representative of my otherwise overall diet. I will open it so that you can view it.

And yes, I do weigh my foods or have an idea of how many calories I eat as I normally always eat the same things. But maybe I should start logging properly again.

I am 171 cm, 81 kg, 28 years, woman

Try logging your foods. Keep track of what you are eating. You may think you are at a calorie deficit, but without a food log, you can't be certain. Log every single bite for 6 weeks. Eat back your exercise calories - that's how MFP works.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do most of the time eat very healthy

You may well eat healthy, but you may also be in a calorie surplus. The only way to check is to log accurately and consistently.

You may well find the answer right there.
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, start logging again. Even if you eat a lot of the same foods, just copy-from-yesterday (I love that feature). And always try to meet your calorie goal, don't go too much under. Your metabolism will thank you.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how "healthy" you are eating if you are not consistently in a deficit. A deficit is the only thing "required" for weight loss.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have not logged food for a very long time

Then you don't know what your calorie intake per day is. Weigh & log everything, avoid too much sodium, try to hit your macros, & make sure you don't eat too little to stay healthy.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    please eat more food
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Also, what kind of work-out are you doing? Is it all Cardio? How long... You could also be overtraining and under eating.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if the 1200 calorie method isn't working try the TDEE -20% method. There could be a significant difference. Its worth looking into
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I understand that I am building muscle mass but nevertheless, I think the lack of weight loss is mainly because of my diet. I simply need to step it up a bit.

No you are not building muscle mass at this deficet. Your lack of weight loss is due to lack of logging and keeping track and probably not eating your exercise calories back.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Watch the programme "Secret Eaters" - most people unconsciously eat more than they actually think...
  • rafaelaiam
    Options
    Wow, thanks all for support and feedback. I normally do cardio mixed with HIIT and some weights. Some days I do cardio in the morning and weights in the pm. I will also take your advice and start logging again + start looking at my carb/sodium/sugar intake and will make some amendments there to see if I notice any difference.
    Thanks kindly once again!
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    please eat more food

:huh: If the OP is not losing weight, and that is the goal, then she is not in a calorie deficit. Eating more food is not going to magically cause weight loss. As she stated she does not log her food so just because she said she is eating 1200 calories doesn't mean she is, she obviously is not or she would be losing weight.
  • rafaelaiam
    Options
    And I am pretty sure I am not a secret eater, he he!

I have full overview and am honest with what I eat. However, I do have days where I eat things I know I should not, but I take full responsibility for it by burning it off and by understand the scale might stand still the next time I weigh myself. But I eat healthy salads that contain much water, aware of what fruits I eat, I eat good proteins, etc etc. Oh, well, a luta continua because I am not giving up!
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    And I am pretty sure I am not a secret eater, he he!

I have full overview and am honest with what I eat. However, I do have days where I eat things I know I should not, but I take full responsibility for it by burning it off and by understand the scale might stand still the next time I weigh myself. But I eat healthy salads that contain much water, aware of what fruits I eat, I eat good proteins, etc etc. Oh, well, a luta continua because I am not giving up!

But when it comes to weight loss none of this matters if you are not eating in a calorie deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, you really need to log your foods consistently otherwise, we really don't know how many calories you are eating. After 1 month of proper logging, then we can make an informed decision. But if you are active, 1200 calories won't be enough. Based on your stats, 1700-1900 daily is a bit more appropriate. I also set macro's around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats.

Also, you don't need to eat clean or "healthy". Many of us eat dirty and lose weight consistently. In fact, I eat a Klondike bar every night before bed and don't have an issue with weight loss.