Anyone willing to share pumpkin based recipes?

Lithuria
Lithuria Posts: 132
edited September 22 in Recipes
Hey guys I wondered if you could help me on this one,

We don't really use pumpkin much in our cooking here in the UK (unless of course you live in the Harry Potter-verse :p) and we only ever seem to get pumpkins, even the cooking ones, around this time of year for Halloween novelty value...well I really want to take advantage of the produce available! I've been looking around online for some pumpkin based desserts but everything seems to use canned pumpkin....well there isn't such a thing as canned pumpkin here ^_^ or at least, not in any of the shops I frequent...

So I was wondering if any of you guys out there had any reduced cal recipes of pumpkinny goodness using just a fresh bought pumpkin? In fact, even savoury recipes would be great, I just really wanna try the stuff!

Cheers!

Replies

• raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    I LOVE pumpkin! I posted a recipe for a pumpkin smoothie and pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (found this recipe on MFP) on my blog. Feel free to check them out:

http://raelbee.wordpress.com/
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I throw pumpkin in my protein shakes a few times a week. It's just a scoop of chocolate or vanilla protein powder, half a cup of pumpkin, a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and a cup of soy milk, blended with ice. Delicious! I forget that I'm drinking a protein shake, since it tastes like pumpkin pie.

I'm planning to make those oatmeal pumpkin cookies for Thanksgiving. I want to bring a dessert that is lower in calories than our usual selection of pies, cheese cake, and pastries.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    There's a thread on here somewhere for them. I've seen them posted twice in the last couple of months. Good luck finding them.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Hungry Girl's Yum Yum Brownie Muffins :

1 18.25-ounce box devil's food cake mix
    1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Mix the two ingredients together. Don’t add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water.
    The mixture will be very thick, so you might be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. Do NOT do this!
    Place batter into a 12-cup muffin pan lined with baking cups or sprayed with nonstick spray. Place pan in the oven, and bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Yield: 12 muffins

Nutritional Info: 181 calories, 3.5g fat, 357mg sodium, 37g carbs, 2g fiber, 20g sugars, 2g protein

Serving Size: 1 muffin

I think alot of recipes call for canned pumpkin because there isn't much difference in the taste from fresh vs canned. It's cheaper and less mess for the same taste. You can puree your own and use in any recipes. Also making pumpkin pie in glass cookware sprayed w/ Pam instead of using pie crust cuts alot of fat and calories with the same great taste!
  • dragonfarie
    dragonfarie Posts: 84 Member
    To use a fresh pumpkin in place of canned:

Option #1: The Oven

Cut pumpkin open and scoop out the seeds. Place pumpkin halves face down in a baking dish. Add 1/2" of water to pan: this helps keep the pumpkin flesh moist.

Bake at 450º until you can pierce the skin with a fork (about 45 minutes to an hour).

Scoop flesh out of shell with a spoon.

Option #2: The Microwave

Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut the pumpkin into large chunks (so it will fit in microwave), leaving skin on. Place pumpkin chunks in a shallow, microwave-safe dish with a lid (or cover with plastic wrap).

Spray the cut pumpkin surfaces with cooking spray, and cover. Cook on high for 15 minutes, or until tender (feels soft and cooked).

Option #3: The Stovetop

Cut pumpkin in half, scooping out the seeds. Then, cut pumpkin into large chunks, but leave the skin on.

Place chunks in a large steamer basket (or a colander placed inside a dutch oven, with water on the bottom). Steam for 20 minutes, or until pumpkin is tender.

Alternately, you can add water to the dish, eliminating the spray, to keep the pumpkin from drying out.

You then just peel the skin off and mash the cooked pumpkin until there aren't any chunks left. Use it in place of any canned pumpkin you see in recipes.
  • if you only have a fresh pumpkin (rather than canned), you can use it in all the same items as you would use canned pumpkin, with a little extra preparation.

Cut your pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds and all the stringy goop. Roast it until tender at 325 (F). I usually start this process skin side up, then flip it after a while. I don't remember the exact time, but check it every 10 minutes or so.

Once the flesh is very soft, remove it from the oven and let it cool a bit. Scoop the flesh out of the skin, and put it in a blender, or a bowl (if you have an immersion blender). Puree. This is usually a little more watery than the canned version, but you can use it just the same.

One can equals about 2 cups. Use what you need, and freeze the rest in 2 cup portions for pumpkin-y goodness at a later date!

Pumpkin-Cranberry Spice Muffins

1 box Spice Cake Mix
    1 can pumpkin puree (or 2 cups)
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 c applesauce (opt)
    1/4 c fat free plain yogurt (opt)

Mix all together. Pour into greased muffin tins- 2 Tbsp per cup. Makes 24.

Per muffin (made with applesauce and yogurt): Calories 110; Carbs 23; Fat 2; Fiber 1; Protien 1; Sugar 14
  • This is a terrific recipe for Butternut Squash Soup by America's Test Kitchen and it works just as well with pumpkin or other squash. It is so simple and uses no cream and has such good flavor.

First you saute an onion or a few shallots with a bit of butter and the guts and seeds of the squash (apparently there's a lot of flavor in the insides). Then cut the unpeeled squash into manageable pieces and set up a steamer rack in your stock pot, place the squash pieces on the rack and add about six cups of water. Cover and steam the squash until it's soft, then remove the squash and set it on a cookie rack to cool off so you can scoop the flesh off the skin.

While the squash is cooling, drain the liquid in the stockpot and discard the squash guts/seeds/onion mixture, then return the liquid to the stockpot. Add the squash pieces and blend with a stick blender (you can do it in batches with a regular blender, too). Add salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg to taste.

There may still be a more precise recipe online, but ATK has a subscription only website so it's hard to find their recipes.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Pumpkin-Cranberry Spice Muffins

1 box Spice Cake Mix
    1 can pumpkin puree (or 2 cups)
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 c applesauce (opt)
    1/4 c fat free plain yogurt (opt)

Mix all together. Pour into greased muffin tins- 2 Tbsp per cup. Makes 24.

Per muffin (made with applesauce and yogurt): Calories 110; Carbs 23; Fat 2; Fiber 1; Protien 1; Sugar 14

yum! these sound delicious!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Not exactly a recipe, but a quick snack I like to make with pumpkin is to mix the puree in with greek yogurt, add cinnamon/and or pumpkin spice then sweeten with whatever you like, I prefer honey.
    I also add it to tomato sauce to make a heartier sauce with more nutritional value. I'm thinking about doing the same thing with chili.
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Thanks for the great tips on Pumpkin prep you guys, I wanna make all these recipes now :D I may do just that this weekend, pumpkin soup with pumpkin and cranberry muffins :D
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I mix 1/3 cup with cooked oatmeal in the morning, add some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spices to taste, and then top with a drizzle of maple syrup. Makes for a super tasty, low-cal breakfast! I also mix with plain yogurt, spices and 1Tbsp jello s/f vanilla pudding to make a quick pumpkin mousse for dessert. Enjoy!

Ps. That spice cake + pumpkin mix sounds awesome!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Copied from my blog:

Whole Grain Pumpkin Banana Muffins
    From Cooks.com: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1862,138166-235200,00.html
    Here's the recipe as-is:

WHOLE GRAIN PUMPKIN BANANA MUFFINS

2 ripe bananas
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1 can pumpkin
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1 cup white flour
    1 cup wheat flour
    1/4 cup ground flax
    1/4 cup wheat germ
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
    1/2 cup pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Mix bananas, pumpkin, and eggs in food processor.

3. Mix those wet ingredients with honey and oil.

4. Mix all dry ingredients.

5. Stir dry ingredients slowly into the wet.

6. Fold in raisins and pecans.

7. Spray muffin pan with Pam or other baking spray. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full.

8. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Put on a baking rack to cool.

Makes up to 24 muffins.

Substitutions that I made:

1) No-Sugar Added Applesauce instead of the canola oil

2) Walnuts instead of the Pecans (because that's what I had)

3) Left out the splenda - it was sweet enough with the honey alone

4) Substituted "Power Flour" for the 2 cups of flour in the recipe. Power Four is equal parts Barley flour (Barley Meal),Brown Rice Flour, Wheat Flour and Spelt Flour. The original recipe also calls for additional equal parts of Amaranth and Kamut flours, but we couldn't find those when we made the Power Flour awhile back. We made a big batch and use that for most flour needs now.

5. Cooked my own pumpkin rather than use canned. Usually you can find baking pumpkins in most grocery stores in the fall... I think they're sometimes called "sugar" pumpkins. See recipe below for some instructions on cooking a pumpkin. One small baking pumpkin made the equivalent of a large can of pumpkin puree.

My recipe made 23 regular sized muffins with the following nutrition:

130 calories, 24g Carbs, 3g fat, 3g protein, 86mg sodium, 11g sugar

Pumpkin Pie
    From this site: http://www.squidoo.com/pumpkin-pie
    Ingredients
    * 1 medium sugar pumpkin
    * 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    * 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 4 eggs, lightly beaten
    * 1 cup honey, warmed slightly
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions
    Cut pumpkin in half, and remove seeds.Place cut side downin a casserole dish and add about an inch of water. Bake at 375 degrees F until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork (about 40-55 minutes). Cool until just warm. Scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peel. Either mash, or puree in small batches in a blender.

In large bowl, blend together 2 cups pumpkin puree, spices, and salt. Beat in eggs, honey, milk, and cream. Pour filling into pie shell.

Bake at 400 degrees F ( 205 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge of pie comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

I made 2 regular sized pies out of this recipe.

Substitutions:

1) I again substituted applesauce for the vegetable oil.

2) I used agave syrup instead of honey. I thought the agave syrup tasted great with the pumpkin - a little earthier than honey is.

3) This isn't really a substitution, but I strained my home-cooked pumpkin before using it - when you cook it at home it tends to retain a bit of water. After pureeing, I just let it sit in some cheesecloth inside of a wire mesh strainer for awhile so that some of the excess water would drain out. It might be easier if you do that before pureeing it...

My crust:
    From this site: http://www.asksasha.com/Healthy-Cooking/Healthy-Easy-Pie-Crust-Recipe.html

1½ cup flour (I used the Power Flour described above)
    little bit of salt
    ½ cup oil (I used olive oil)
    2 Tbsp milk - soymilk/almond milk work too
    Sift four and salt. Combine oil and milk. Combine to flour mixture. Finger mold dough around pie pan. Bake a 375 for 20 minutes

I've seen recipes very similar to this that add sugar to the crust, but I thought it was perfectly good without the sugar.

Nutrition Info for 1/8 of a pie: 332 calories**, 37g Carbs, 19g Fat, 5g Protein, 171mg sodium, 17g sugar

**Now... that's a lot of calories -however, over 200 of that is just the crust!!! I'm determined to find a crust that's homemade but has less fat/calories for next time...
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    bumping for the recipes
    :flowerforyou:
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ had great pumpkin recipes a few weeks ago! im sure you can search for them.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    This is interesting!!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Bump!

Hoping to try that pumpkin smoothie!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    I made up this recipe night before last. Pumpkin adds fiber and nutrients.

Lasagna with (hidden) Pumpkin:

8 ounces lasagna noodles
    1 pound lean ground chicken (or beef or turkey)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    8 ounces mushrooms, optional
    1 jar (about 16 ounces) spaghetti sauce, your favorite
    1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
    1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled
    1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
    2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside. In a large skillet, brown meat, onion, and mushrooms; drain well. Stir in spaghetti sauce, pumpkin, garlic powder, salt, oregano, and basil. In a 2-quart buttered baking dish (about 11x7x2-inches), layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the sauce and 1/3 of the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat layers twice. Bake lasagna at 350° for 30 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and bubbly. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Serves 6.

My son and husband didn't even know the pumpkin was in there! could've probably added more but wasn't sure since it was the first time I made it.
This discussion has been closed.