Does tea count as water?

Options
If you steep your own green tea-do you count it as part of your water intake? Just curious..........

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    As long as it is caffine free I always count it as water.. and I drink a ton if it during the day if I am at my desk,
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    I don't count water and I don't drink green tea... but if I did I'd count it as water :)
  • aimeew8
    Options
    I would count it as water since tea itself has 0 calories but if it is sweetened be sure to add it as a snack or something to get the right calorie count!:flowerforyou:
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I dont. I have always considered it a dieretic. (sp?) anyways, I believe even if its caffine free it still has caffine. I could be wrong, but I recall a dr once telling me that.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I would count it as water since tea itself has 0 calories but if it is sweetened be sure to add it as a snack or something to get the right calorie count!:flowerforyou:

I put 1/2 of a packet of stevia in it-but I do log the tea/stevia and as water too.
  • Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I count it, it's just flavored water in my opinion. :drinker:
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't personally count it as water.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    As long as it's unsweetened, I've always counted the Black Tea I drink as Water. I just think of it as water I took outta the ditch so it has some leafs floating around in it ;)
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    As long as it's unsweetened, I've always counted the Black Tea I drink as Water. I just think of it as water I took outta the ditch so it has some leafs floating around in it ;)

ha ha ha ha NICE!!!!!! lol
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    azlady7, it depends on the tea. Some teas (like Rooibos) are naturally free of caffeine and won't have any trace amounts, while others (like green tea) can legally have 2% caffeine and still be labeled decaf (in the US).

As for me, I tend to only count tea as a water serving if I don't add anything too it, like an herbal tea. With black tea et al I add milk and sugar, so even if it's decaf it doesn't seem like "water" to me. I don't drink much green tea, so I suppose it's your own call!
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Weight Watchers would let you count decaf unsweetened tea as water for up to half of your daily water intake.
  • amccabe110
    amccabe110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I thought I remembered being told that coffee & tea are counted as water.....however, I'm not logging either as water here-I drink plenty of water as it is. As well as we're talking liquids-I have been using the database to log my morning coffee from Dunkin Donuts-its counting a Large coffee with milk & one sugar as 160 calories! I went to the DD nutrition website and found that a large coffee is 25 calories....I find it hard to believe that milk & one tsp of sugar is 135 calories! According to Google (my lifesaver), 1 tsp of sugar is 15 cals, and 1 Tbs of milk is 9 cals....needless to say, I now log in 70 calories for my morning coffee-eaasier than giving up something I rely on :laugh:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers would let you count decaf unsweetened tea as water for up to half of your daily water intake.

Actually, what I remember from WW (20 years ago) was you could count 1/2 of the serving of decaf unsweetened tea toward your water intake. So if you drink 12 oz., that counts as 6 toward your water for the day.

:drinker: I drink 12 oz. of tea in the morning (with just a splash of lemon), and then ~ 72 oz. of water the rest of the day. :drinker:
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I thought I remembered being told that coffee & tea are counted as water.....however, I'm not logging either as water here-I drink plenty of water as it is. As well as we're talking liquids-I have been using the database to log my morning coffee from Dunkin Donuts-its counting a Large coffee with milk & one sugar as 160 calories! I went to the DD nutrition website and found that a large coffee is 25 calories....I find it hard to believe that milk & one tsp of sugar is 135 calories! According to Google (my lifesaver), 1 tsp of sugar is 15 cals, and 1 Tbs of milk is 9 cals....needless to say, I now log in 70 calories for my morning coffee-eaasier than giving up something I rely on :laugh:

Yes I usually log things separately (ingredients wise). I usually don't find the bulk product in the data base but add everything in it individually. I know it takes time and effort, but well worth it to me.
    Found an onion once in the database that was 400 calories per 1 cup!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha Definately have to keep your eyes open.