Does anyone else struggle to eat breakfast?

Options
So I'm in my twenties and haven't eaten breakfast since my early teens. My first food of the day is at about midday. (I have normal working hours.) I keep reading that one MUST eat breakfast, that the ONLY way to keep a healthy diet is breakfast, etc etc, but my problem is that I physically can't eat breakfast. For an hour or so after waking up I feel vaguely nauseous and the thought, or presence, of food makes it much worse. (No, I'm not pregnant. :tongue: ) Can't stand the smell of any food for the first hour of the day and attempting to force down fruit or cereal makes me physically sick. By the time I get to work I'm fine and able to eat. It's weird.

Does anyone else experience this, if so what is it? Second question, is it worth me torturing myself and risking having to clean the carpets forcing breakfast down, or does it not matter so much when considering diet/weight? Is it really the most important meal of the day?

Replies

• julianadelbosque
    Options
    I used to be like that in middle school and early high school. I would force down a granola bar or something but it was difficult and made me feel gross, but I didn't have the chance to eat for 4-5 hours after that so it was a necessity.

If you don't want to eat then, don't eat! If I don't want real food in the morning but want some protein, I will make a latte with skim milk. ~100 calories and 10 g of protein that will get me through the first two hours or so of my day before I eat a more substantial meal/snack. And if you don't eat breakfast, you have more calories for the rest of the day! These days I'm trying to eat a small breakfast (under 150-200 calories) because I'm almost always hungry within two hours regardless of how much/little I eat, and I'd rather have those calories for a later meal that will actually keep me full.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Eating early in the day does nothing special to your metabolism. Eat when you're hungry and aim to get in your calorie allotment by the time that you go to bed at night. Simple as that :)
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that one MUST eat breakfast, that the ONLY way to keep a healthy diet is breakfast, etc etc,
    Complete nonsense. It doesn't matter if you eat breakfast or not, it will not effect your weight loss or health whatsoever. I don't know where that myth came from, maybe from parents who made that up for their kids so they would ate something and not walk around like anorexic sticks or something.

Yes, I have the same thing, I can't get myself to ate anything in mornings. So I don't. The most important thing is to ate at some point of day and get all the minerals, vitamins and calories in. Meal timing or meal count is completely irrelevant.
  • Ayne6246
    Ayne6246 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't remember EVER eating breakfast except when I am traveling. Then I make sure I eat regular meals. Strangely or maybe not so strangely, when I travel, I tend to lose weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat. I only have breakfast now because I'm just starving in the morning if I don't. I didn't use to.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. My first meal is anywhere from 1-3pm depending on the day.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    yup thats me ! i just cant do it!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I need to be up a good 5 hours before I can eat or I get sick. And I lost just fine, I don't think it will mess up your progress.
  • heidigrubb
    Options
    I used to be this way, still am to an extent. I started eating something really light with not a lot of flavor to start out with (like an english muffin or a piece of toast), and then kinda upped the flavor slowly. I still can't eat before 7 am. Just the thought of it now makes me nauseous. But I have worked up to having a yogurt at my desk around 8-8:30 ish. And I am satisfied until lunchtime.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel like my throat doesn't open for about 2 hours...
  • sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I just can't eat really early in the morning. Makes me feel so sick. I usually drink an Atkins shake or some fruit when I get to work, which is at least a couple hours after I wake up. If it's the weekend, I love to eat a hot breakfast, but again, it's usually a few hours after I wake up.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, breaking the fast. That's all breakfast is, doesn't matter at what time you break your fast (breakfast)

Eat when you are hungry and don't force yourself to eat, unless you have a medical condition.

I'm never hungry in the morning and I eat ''breakfast'' 6-7 hours after waking up only *shrugs*
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6, hop on the train at 7 to be at work at 9. I couldn't physcially eat between getting up and getting on the train, so I eat when I get to work.

Usually an instant porridge pot or something similar...

If you can't face eating when you get up, don't eat. Have a snack mid-morning or something. No biggie.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    So, if you're fine when you get to work, why not just eat breakfast then?
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't struggle to eat it ... but I usually purposely put it off as I'm not that hungry first thing in the morning. I find if I eat breakfast, I usually eat 300-500 more calories that day (about what I would eat for breakfast!)
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    yes definitely when I was your age. Coffee and cigs first thing seemed to zap my appetite.

Nowadays I am more health conscious... although I have yet to give up the ciggies.... I know I need fuel for the day ahead
  • j0j0ba
    j0j0ba Posts: 66
    Options
    yes i have to force it down.. always have had to but if its a full irish fry up breakfast especially after a night out i have no bother :tongue:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Eat when you feel hungry. A general guideline is to have a larger morning meal, a smaller lunch, and a light dinner. Start off with a small breakfast, and follow the rest of the guideline. When you get up in the mornings you'll start to feel hungrier earlier.

If you work early in the day, you'll need that fuel to get you through to lunch, without grazing all day. Eat a protein-rich breakfast to stay sated longer. I find having more protein keeps me feeling fuller longer than a more fiber-rich breakfast (like eggs instead of oatmeal, though I switch up a couple times a week for the benefits)

Of course, always follow what works best for you. The above is just what's worked for me.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I am not a breakfast eater at all.....never have been. It works for me
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am a breakfast fan, but you should never be forcing yourself to eat. If you aren't hungry at breakfast-time, don't eat it :)