PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Paleo has worked for alot of people and there are plenty of people out there who really believe in it and have been doing it for years so it is sustainable, just know to really do paleo it takes alot of dedication and alot of learning early on. I would get some paleo friends if you are serious so they can help give you tips.

"Sustainable" is an individual concept in terms of diet. I hate how people look at these diets as "If you were hardcore enough, you could do this." Hardcore is not forcing yourself through a sheer act of will to adhere to a diet that excludes foods you like. That's foolishness. Hardcore is having the discipline to eat what you like without abandoning the basic scientific principles behind weight loss/maintenance/gain, whatever your goal may be.

If you like the general "Paleo" guidelines, and you really believe it is something you are interested in and capable of doing long-term, then knock yourself out. But I don't think it's a good idea as a "challenge" or to lose a certain amount of weight. If you're going to stop doing it at some point, why bother in the first place?
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've been considering a version of paleo for a while. But my reasoning for doing so has been less about weight loss and more about additives and gmo. Eliminating grains and dairy for me means eliminating a lot of prepackaged and processed food. While I won't be following paleo to the letter. Ill probably be doing what works for me with paleo as a general guideline. I've lost plenty of weight doing non paleo calorie counting so you don't need paleo to lose weight. But it might help with avoiding some of the frighteninggarbage most major ccompanies hide in your food. A good rule of thumb. If it has more than five ingredients, it's probably a bad idea.

Imho

Couldn't you just buy whole grains without added ingredients? The brown rice, pearl barley, oats etc that I buy all have just the one ingredient. They do come in a package, but it would be quite hard to carry 5lbs of oats in my cart without a container :tongue: I don't see that as any difference than putting my produce in a bag so it doesn't get icky in the cart.

I've done it all-paleo/primal to vegetarian/vegan and through all of it I've realized there's no good reason to go to such extremes. To totally eliminate food groups is just setting ourselves up for failure and there's no sound science to back it up.
  • stephlahtinen
    stephlahtinen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been considering a version of paleo for a while. But my reasoning for doing so has been less about weight loss and more about additives and gmo. Eliminating grains and dairy for me means eliminating a lot of prepackaged and processed food. While I won't be following paleo to the letter. Ill probably be doing what works for me with paleo as a general guideline. I've lost plenty of weight doing non paleo calorie counting so you don't need paleo to lose weight. But it might help with avoiding some of the frighteninggarbage most major ccompanies hide in your food. A good rule of thumb. If it has more than five ingredients, it's probably a bad idea.

Imho

ive been doing the whole eating healthy, counting calories thing for over a year now with a lot of success...i recently switched up my workout routine from just basic gym work/cardio/etc to include crossfit and a lot more weight lifting so i was thinking i would transition my diet choices as well and see how that worked for me.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Any diet that has a name is silly.

Any diet that strictly prohibits certain foods is silly.

Any diet that does both of these is double-silly.

By all means focus your diet on lean meats and veggies. But don't listen to what other people tell you are acceptable foods and unacceptable foods. Focus on your nutrients and eat things you enjoy.

THIS X2
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Imho

ive been doing the whole eating healthy, counting calories thing for over a year now with a lot of success...i recently switched up my workout routine from just basic gym work/cardio/etc to include crossfit and a lot more weight lifting so i was thinking i would transition my diet choices as well and see how that worked for me.

By all means switch up your diet if you want something different. Introduce new foods and new meal ideas.

You don't need some silly restrictive diet to do this. If you think paleo sounds good, incorporate some common paleo foods into your meals, whatever those might be. But there's no reason to buy into "paleo" and skip the ice cream.

This is actually a good idea. You can look around at all the various silly diets out there and work some of their common foods into your meals. Have a big pile of paleo meat for dinner one night followed by ice cream, then have some vegan enchiladas for lunch the next day. Or whatever.

What I'm saying is if you're bored with your food take food inspiration from others. You don't need to totally buy into their "diet" to enjoy their meals.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Me and my BF both eat Paleo.

Him because he has a autoimmune skin condition and his Micro Biologist told him to remove grains and dairy products from his diet.
    I because I support him.

We both hate it and unless it's for a medical condition like this case I see no reason to restrict one's diet

Weight loss happens at a calorie deficit wether you eat dairy and grains or not
  • NeIIaBeIIa
    NeIIaBeIIa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find that when I do it about 90% of the time, 90% true to the "protein-veges-nuts theory" I am a much much happier, healthier person. (If I did it 100% I'd probably be even better, but I am somewhat self destructive at times :ohwell: ). Some people find that it can be socially restrictive, I've not really found that (apart from the alcohol of course, I"m OK with that a few times a week).

I know that I have gluten intolerance and major digestive and health issues if I ignore that (still do sometimes, duh). And I know that if I don't eat dairy I am similarly much happier. Won't go into details. I'm still not convinced that dairy shouldn't be just for baby cows ... isn't for me in any case (still do sometimes however, duh :wink: )

So it's a natural "food plan" for me, has been since 2003, I was doing it well before I knew someone came up with a name for it...! I think it's only a "diet" if its not your normal way of eating, and you don't intend to do it forever. I do.

Try it for at least 3 weeks and see if it works for you, good luck! :smile:
  • Routerninja
    Options
    I like the *idea* behind paleo. Eat clean, no processed foods, but you can take a lot of those ideas and just work them into your macros. I dont like giving up dairy, but I just cut down on it. Mind you, I am at like 3k calories a day, so a LOT fits into my macros, That being said, I still do some processed stuff, and dairy. (You can pry my light string cheese and greek yogurt from my cold dead hands.) But I have made some changes like I will go to the local farmers market for organic veggies and better quality local meats.
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of Paleo, and I try for it, but it's sometimes difficult.
    Paleo ppl will say it's not a diet but a lifestyle. I agree, because the idea of it is to eat like our cave-people ancestors, without the processed crap that is in most people's meal plans.
    I find it hard to stick to Paleo because I love dairy and peanuts, and most people say they are not paleo.
    Also, my husband is a vegetarian who is super fussy, so there is a lot of bread and pasta around for him.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm Whole30 rather than Paleo, but I'll address why in the list...

Pros - I feel amazing. Not eating sugar makes me feel calmer, stop craving junk food, and I've lost weight too. My cholesterol levels and inflammation factors in my blood work improved dramatically. My skin looks better - people tell me all the time that I look like I'm glowing. Which you could attribute to just losing weight, but when I lost weight 8 or so years ago just restricting calories, I had people tell me I looked skinny, too thin, should eat more, etc. My parents were concerned for my health. This time, eating paleo/Whole30 - I regularly get told that I look "healthy", and I'm at exactly the same weight that I was at when people thought I looked overly thin and unhealthy. Go figure. I'm pretty sure that a lot of that was the first time I was restricting fat to cut calories, this time I eat loads of coconut oil and ghee and that makes a huge difference. I also found recently that I have a gluten sensitivity. My doctors always told me that my knee pain was just arthritis from lots of knee injuries - take pain killers until I can have my knees replaced when I get older. Since changing my diet - the knee pain is GONE. My knees still make crunchy noises and if I torque them in the spots where I don't have any cartilege, I can feel it - but they are not constantly swollen and hurting anymore. It's AMAZING. I can run again, and I thought I had to give that up permanently.

Cons - I think the logic behind paleo is kind of stupid. I prefer the logic behind Whole30 - which is basically that you eat things that make you healthier and don't eat things that damage your health, your hormones, or your mental state. I don't care what my ancestors ate, I care about how what I'm eating right now affects my body. Arguing about whether cavemen ate potatoes is pretty irrelevant, IMHO. I also have some facebook friends who eat Paleo and maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like they eat like nothing but bacon. And on Whole30, you can only eat bacon if it's compliant - i.e. no sugar or preservatives. Which is super hard to find and means you're probably not eating much bacon. Bacon itself is fine, but most of the store bought stuff has nasty ingredients and isn't worth eating often anyway. I'm not giving up bacon completely, but it's a rare treat and not a protein, as some people seem to think.
  • coucoudodo
    coucoudodo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I have been doing the Paleo-Zone Challenge at my box too. I am at week 3 of week 4.

I was already starting to eat more Paleo (90%) three weeks before the challenge so it wasn't as bad to begin with and I wasn't eating a lot of junk food and trying to make healthier choices.

Progress so far: I have lost 5 pounds, and 5 inches off my waist in three weeks. And I've been working out 5 times a week. (3-4 times at the box and another activity on the weekend) and yes, I did have the occasional cheat on the weekend that wasn't paleo-zone. (I'm only human!) But people are noticing my progress.

But seriously, I was still counting my calories so that I don't go overboard. Because you can't lose if you go over your calorie allowance even if you eat Paleo. Paleo will not be the reason you lose fat. A calorie deficit will. I have experienced that eating Paleo will help you feel fuller longer on foods that have less calories because you can really fill yourself up easily with vegetables which are low calorie. But if the reason of the challenge is to feel better and healthier overall, try it for three weeks! You will notice a difference!

But here are my Pros and Cons at week3 of my Paleo-Zone Challenge:

PROS:

- You feel amazing! Believe me, what you put in your mouth really does make a difference. I have so much energy and feel great!
    - Get to try new recipes
    - Feel less bloated and gassy....:blushing:
    - Grain-fed meat is a lot tastier. (I never thought I would taste the difference)
    - More regular
    - Because I am eating more vegetables and fruits, I feel less hungry all the time and can actually control my portions better.
    - You can't be Paleo all the time, it's socially restrictive. So when you do have something you have been missing, (icecream, nutella, bread), it is just that much satisfying!

CONS:
    - It has lots of restrictions (pasta, bread, nutella, booze, beans, corn etc)
    - Hard to access grain-fed meats (depending on where you live)
    - Need to plan ahead
    - Lots of contradicting information on what is considered Paleo.

For people saying that its more expensive going Paleo, I would say that I disagree. I track all my expenses and my grocery bill for me and my bf have been going down for the past two months since we started going Paleo. Of course, this might vary if you don't have access to grain-fed meat easily.

The secret is plan plan plan. Don't just come home to an empty fridge or else you will be tempted to eat that box of KD that's been in the cupboard for so long. Try to cook more portions at your supper for leftovers the next day at lunch!

Good luck :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Con: no legumes

That con alone is too big for me. I eat legumes every single day and have for several decades.
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options
    Self-imposing a dietary restriction can make it easier to resist typical treats served at holiday parties. But if you go paleo and want to lose weight, don't ditch calorie counting. I went paleo for a while and actually gained weight because fatty meat wasn't satisfying my appetite as much as grains and legumes do. I know people are always saying that meals with protein and fat are more satisfying, but that hasn't been the case for me.

Can't hurt to give paleo a try for yourself, though.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't be healthy on a plan like this. I have reactions to most fruits and veggie, I also can't eat red meat or pork. That being said Paleo is based on eating lean meats and veggies which is healthy and a lot of people would benefit from eating more of these foods. For those who don't mind the restrictive nature of paleo can be very successful with it and it can be a permanent lifestyle change. Is is necessary for everyone to follow in order to be healthy? No... You have to choose if paleo is the right path.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Paleo definitely feels like the most sustainable eating plan to me. I don't really have to count calories - if I eat Whole30 approved foods until I'm full 3-4 times a day, it adds up to being right about the amount of calories I want, so I don't have to watch too carefully. If I eat bread/sweets/etc. - I feel like I'm starving to death on the same amount of calories and not only do i have to count, but I have to restrict to get there, and it's not fun and I don't feel like I can sustain the effort for very long. People are correct though that if you're trying to lose weight it's worth counting. Especially if you eat many nuts, you can go over on calories, but to me it's more like I can eat until I'm full to maintain, cut back just a bit to lose weight. That's very doable.

Also - it's still pretty easy to eat out. Yeah, you have to ask for modifications sometimes, but meat/fish and steamed veggies or salad with olive oil and vinegar isn't a crazy request. Honestly I think it would be harder to be a vegetarian at some places and eat anything nutritious.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Whole30 approved foods

That phrase makes my skin crawl.

Also: Oh, look, you can buy things right on the Whole30 (TM) website! Yeesh.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I say give it a try OP! I myself am not Paleo/Primal (I like cheese) but I do eat a diet based in lean meats and veggies and keep it as minimally processed as possible and I've never felt better. People might tell you something like that is needlessly restrictive but if it works for so many people is it really needless? Isn't a lack of restriction what gets so many people in trouble in the first place?!

A strictly controlled diet is just what is needed for lots of people.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Whole30 approved foods

That phrase makes my skin crawl.

Also: Oh, look, you can buy things right on the Whole30 (TM) website! Yeesh.
    Shudder. It couldn't appear more cult-like if it tried...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Also - it's still pretty easy to eat out. Yeah, you have to ask for modifications sometimes, but meat/fish and steamed veggies or salad with olive oil and vinegar isn't a crazy request. Honestly I think it would be harder to be a vegetarian at some places and eat anything nutritious.

Processed foods like olive oil and vinegar are okay, but beans are not. Makes no sense at all.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was/am trying, but only b/c I have an autoimmune skin condition and I figure it's worth a shot.

But, it's hard for me, as I don't love meat and I do like pizza (and crackers and alcohol....).

I do feel better when I don't eat refined carbs, but like others have said, it's a bit hard b/c food preparation is a constant and nothing is shelf stable. You can make dinner with pasta, canned tomatoes/beans/rice/etc. But, with a meat and fresh centered diet, it's harder.

I also cannot bring myself to cook with lard eat bone broth.

If I wasn't trying to help with a medical issue, I am 99.9% certain that I would never have stumbled upon it and decided to try it.