excersize on days in between C25K

Options
I just started C25K and I want to be able to do that fully, so since its only 3 days a week is it ok to do other strength excersize in between those days or will that tire my muscles out too much??

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Really, it will depend on your own fitness level. I'd say do something on those "rest" days and adjust it depending on how you feel. I do strength training on days I don't run.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Strength training. Something like StrongLifts, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat.
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When I did it, i just did it everyday in the morning and then a workout at night. I took rest days as I felt needed or I would go back and do an earlier weeks day instead. I just found that the 3 days a week was not enough to keep me motivated and now it has got me in the habit of running every day I love it. I guess it depends on your fitness/what you feel is right for you and your goals.
  • ImRemko
    ImRemko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can even lift and do cardio on the same day if you want. Just don't do cardio and lifting right after each other, unless you really need to. On separate days is always good.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Ditto lifting.

You could also try yoga!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you are fully aware of what your body is capable of doing if you are asking this question.

Get after it OP, it may be uncomfortable being more active at first but seriously, to your not too distant ancestors, a 3 mile run is the equivalent of you walking to your car in the morning to go to work. You will be amazed of what you are capable of doing if you only believed you could and went out and did it. Throw some strength training in there throughout the week and find out what you are capable of doing.
  • trevnem
    trevnem Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! Ill do something!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I do NROL4W as well as C25K. Some days I do them back to back (with running AFTER lifting) and some days I do them separately. So far, it's working well for me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you are fully aware of what your body is capable of doing if you are asking this question.

Get after it OP, it may be uncomfortable being more active at first but seriously, to your not too distant ancestors, a 3 mile run is the equivalent of you walking to your car in the morning to go to work. You will be amazed of what you are capable of doing if you only believed you could and went out and did it. Throw some strength training in there throughout the week and find out what you are capable of doing.

^^^ Ditto this. It's incredible what just a little training can leave you capable of. In one year I've gone from not being able to run for the bus, to running 10k in 57 minutes. The human body is an amazing machine when you follow a scheduled maintenance plan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would recommend hitting the weight room on your non-run days.