Atkins

Options
Is anyone here doing Atkins? My husband, myself, and my brother-in-law have a challenge to each other, to see who can lose the most weight by Christmas. The loser has to go the winners home and cook dinner for them Appetizer, Main, and dessert. My BIL informed me last night, he has been doing Atkin's for the last couple of weeks and has lost 20 lbs... That's impressive. My husband wants to try the Atkins diet, but I'm not so sure. I'm down 5lbs since Sept. 9th, and I still have a few weeks to go. Kat :smile:

Replies

• Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We have been doing low carb, (Atkins) high protein every other week. The week we do the diet we look an average of 21/2-3 lbs.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    We have been doing low carb, (Atkins) high protein every other week. The week we do the diet we look an average of 21/2-3 lbs.

I'm surprised to hear that works. My understanding (and personal experience, lost 50lbs) of Atkins was to get your body in ketosis and stay there. That's where the weight loss phenomenon takes place. To switch back and forth would just keep putting you back out of ketosis.

Good luck. I'd love to hear how it works out over the long run.
  • thegilly6
    Options
    My BIL informed me last night, he has been doing Atkin's for the last couple of weeks and has lost 20 lbs... That's impressive.

20 lbs in 2 weeks seems awfully fast. While much of that is more than likely water weight I wish both you the best of luck. I lost 50 lbs on Atkins a couple of years ago. I works. However, my wife complained of my "mood swings" and "bad breath." The problem with Atkins was that it wasn't a food program I saw myself using for the rest of my life. As soon as I got off of it the weight came right back to me. There are too many other foods out there that I love to be strictly protein.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your input. I told my husband that I will commit for 2 weeks of the Induction period, and will go from there. Kat :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You're going to gain it back.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here doing Atkins? My husband, myself, and my brother-in-law have a challenge to each other, to see who can lose the most weight by Christmas. The loser has to go the winners home and cook dinner for them Appetizer, Main, and dessert. My BIL informed me last night, he has been doing Atkin's for the last couple of weeks and has lost 20 lbs... That's impressive. My husband wants to try the Atkins diet, but I'm not so sure. I'm down 5lbs since Sept. 9th, and I still have a few weeks to go. Kat :smile:

There's an Atkins support forum on MFP if you want to check in with the nice folks there

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/5181-atkins-support-group
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    go to www.atkins.com for all the info you need to do it. It is NOT high protein. Atkins is low carb, moderate protein, high fat.
  • thegilly6
    Options
    go to www.atkins.com for all the info you need to do it. It is NOT high protein. Atkins is low carb, moderate protein, high fat.

Not sure if this was directed at me or not. Let me clarify. I feel the MFP plan enables me to eat many more foods than the Atkin's plan does. A plan that I can spend the rest of my life eating. When I'm at a friend's house or out to a restaurant I can easily get to something that works into my program. It's forgiving in the sense that I can compensate with exercise when I do get a little out of the box. It's not like working toward and keeping my body in ketosis where I'd need to start all over again if I blow it. As I mentioned. I've done it. It worked very well for me then. I wish anyone on a weight loss journey the very best, however they choose to do so.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    a general reason why people lose significant weight from low carb diets initally is due to glycogen depletion.
    1g of glycogen(carb) holds about 3g of water. it is safe to say that most of the weight that you get from carb based products may have additional sodium to create water weight. however when you do start the diet, your sodium will drop, along with fiber(some times). less residual products will be in your GI tract,

the average person holds about 500g of glyocgen max. so lets say thats 2000g of weight. 2kg=4.4 lbs.
    along with residual, other water weight factors etc. This makes plenty of sense. when you do start eating back your normal meals you will "gain the weight back" but fat loss during the process will be gone.

by going on atkins diet you are forcing yourself to stop drinking regular soda, alot of sugar. etc.
    Any fat loss during a diet is only gained back if you consume more energy than required for normal needs.

When you do something like atkins it is not sustainable for a lifetime and the effects of low carbs/ketosis are unknown for long term. It is not the best diet to go on.

another factor is how much does your brother in law weigh?
    Weight loss should be a % of someones original weight. I can drop 5 lbs 2x faster than someone half my size and that is female can
  • MermaidTX
    Options
    a general reason why people lose significant weight from low carb diets initally is due to glycogen depletion.
    1g of glycogen(carb) holds about 3g of water. it is safe to say that most of the weight that you get from carb based products may have additional sodium to create water weight. however when you do start the diet, your sodium will drop, along with fiber(some times). less residual products will be in your GI tract,

the average person holds about 500g of glyocgen max. so lets say thats 2000g of weight. 2kg=4.4 lbs.
    along with residual, other water weight factors etc. This makes plenty of sense. when you do start eating back your normal meals you will "gain the weight back" but fat loss during the process will be gone.

by going on atkins diet you are forcing yourself to stop drinking regular soda, alot of sugar. etc.
    Any fat loss during a diet is only gained back if you consume more energy than required for normal needs.

When you do something like atkins it is not sustainable for a lifetime and the effects of low carbs/ketosis are unknown for long term. It is not the best diet to go on.

Weight loss should be a % of someones original weight. I can drop 5 lbs 2x faster than someone half my size and that is female can

This guy's been on a ketogenic diet since 2001

http://imgur.com/a/vNj3y
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

that doesnt show the permanent effects it could have on his body in the long run. physical appearance =/= health.

I am not saying its healthy or unhealthy. we dont know
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options

From what I have seen from people that have tried it .. this is exactly what happens. Just seems like a lot of work for a lot of heartache in the end.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets cause you to lose more water weight than balanced diets. You are welcome to make that part of your strategy, to win the game.
  • MermaidTX
    Options

that doesnt show the permanent effects it could have on his body in the long run. physical appearance =/= health.

Almost 13 yrs seems "long term" to me but you're right it's relative. BTW, he's healthy -- http://dd.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/1l0dzj/help_with_bloodwork_results/cbui6py
  • Messier108
    Options
    I think atkins is great. Prior to doing low carb I suffered from bulimia for 4 years. Abstaining from carbs was so crucial to my recovery because a) I wasn't eating anywhere near as much as I was as my diet basically consisted of any sweets I could get my hands on b) the program allows for you to gradually ease back to eating more carbohydrates and allows you to have a healthier relationship with sugar.
    It's different for everyone, I guess. I hope you do well with the weightloss! :)
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options
    My husband did Atkins (for a diet challenge too). He won the challenge by losing 15 lbs in a month, but as soon as the challenge was over he gained it all back (and then some). I think a person has to really like doing a low carb diet to make it work long term.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    yeah atkins is great for quick weightloss. Long term not so much but doesnt sound like thats your goal seems like it's quick and fast loss?

Personally, if you want to weigh low on that day so you win the competition. Avoid eating a lot the day before...NO CARBS OR SALT! The week leading up to I'd go back to induction and eliminate as much sodium from your diet as possible. Dehydrate yourself somewhat (dark color urine), and drink diuretics that day (strong tea and coffee). I assume you'll be dressed so of course wear light clothing and no shoes.

good luck on your competition
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

From what I have seen from people that have tried it .. this is exactly what happens. Just seems like a lot of work for a lot of heartache in the end.

One could say the same about pretty much every plan.
  • thmgoodw
    Options

I'm not saying that it is or it isn't, but many really smart people in the nutrition and weight loss field support it and have used it for awhile.

The Duke University Lifestyle Medicine Clinic (one of the top weight loss clinics in the country) has been in existence for 40+ years, and predominantly uses Atkins with its clientele. I don't know the exact starting point that they started the emphasis on Atkins, but it was definitely awhile ago.

Is it for everyone? Most certainly not. I also know that the >50% carb recommendations on here at MFP probably aren't ideal for a majority of people either ;-)
  • burbacka1132
    burbacka1132 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for a several months back in 2004 and lost a good amount of weight - almost 25 lbs - so I would say it does work. I couldn't sustain the diet though (I am a carbaholic), and ended up gaining back half of that.

It sounds like you have a relatively short-term goal, so good luck to you.