When others start to notice your progress...

ophelian
ophelian Posts: 32 Member
Seventeen pounds gone since May 28! Unfortunately I'm coming to the realization that shopping for new clothes will soon be necessary and I have...absolutely no money. :sad: Time to start hawking stuff on eBay! I've been finding satisfaction with MFP and my weight loss solely in following the discipline and seeing the numbers on the scale decrease, but yesterday my friend actually commented on my progress for the first time. After lunch she said to me:

"You're looking great by the way - you're like, half the person I met two years ago."

Admittedly it was a bit startling to think I was five or six sizes larger in 2006 when I don't necessarily feel any smaller yet, but the compliment was a nice boost to help motivate me further. I'm curious to hear about how others felt when they were first told they looked fit or slimmer. Proud? Accomplished? All of the above?

Replies

• ophelian
    Seventeen pounds gone since May 28! Unfortunately I'm coming to the realization that shopping for new clothes will soon be necessary and I have...absolutely no money. :sad: Time to start hawking stuff on eBay! I've been finding satisfaction with MFP and my weight loss solely in following the discipline and seeing the numbers on the scale decrease, but yesterday my friend actually commented on my progress for the first time. After lunch she said to me:

"You're looking great by the way - you're like, half the person I met two years ago."

Admittedly it was a bit startling to think I was five or six sizes larger in 2006 when I don't necessarily feel any smaller yet, but the compliment was a nice boost to help motivate me further. I'm curious to hear about how others felt when they were first told they looked fit or slimmer. Proud? Accomplished? All of the above?
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    When I need to go shopping and have very little cash, it's thrift stores for me!!!

I love our area thrift stores, their prices are really good, and my money goes farther. I just make sure I wash or dryclean everything I find before I wear it. Why pay $15 for ONE blouse when I can find 7 of them for the same price? The way fashions change so rapidly, there's always something nice in the racks. It just takes a little time and patience to look and try on.

I know a lot of people look down on that practice but honestly if it weren't for thrift stores for me and my kids, I would have sunk a long time ago.
  • ophelian
    That's a great suggestion! Thanks! I've checked out a handful of them in my town but a lot of the stuff is pretty bland and grody. Maybe I'll have more luck in a bigger city...
  • Jendaya35
    Jendaya35 Posts: 79 Member
    I shop the thrift stores for alot off our clothes. I have 3 children that are just crazy hard on clothes and I refuse to buy expensive clothes for them to destroy. Not only does it save money, but they get more of it for the money.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    That's a great suggestion! Thanks! I've checked out a handful of them in my town but a lot of the stuff is pretty bland and grody. Maybe I'll have more luck in a bigger city...

:glasses: Look for a "Value World" formerly Value Village. Or the DAV Thrift Store. Goodwill is also not slouching lately - they're actually more expensive than the two others I mentioned.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    PhotographerOfNature Posts: 452 Member
    Thrift Stores are the Best! I love them!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Stores like Walmart are great too, they have some cute stuff these days AND great prices!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    i too shop thrift stores and wal mart the way i stain up clothes why pay so much!! i did reward myself with a $120 pair of jeans that were on sale for $55 when i hit my first goal of a size 8 and when i hit a size 4 i will reward my self again i have never been this small in my life.

as for the compliments holy cow i can never explain how good it feels when someone gives me one--just yesterday a co-worker called me tiny (yes!!!!!!) as i have always been called short but never tiny im still in shock over that one :love:

soak it all up you deserve it
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    I also have had the experience where the Goodwill was more expensive than Wal-Mart. I bought a pair of reversible mesh shorts for $6.00 for my then 6 month old son and then I went to Wal-Mart and they had bascially the same shorts for $3.00!!

I know that the money I gave to Goodwill was for a "good" cause, but they are USED shorts. I don't think they should be that expensive.

I guess my point is to SHOP AROUND. :glasses: Happy Shopping!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!