Runners- new problem!

Options
Ok, so I am training for a 1/2 marathon. The nights before I run (I run early in the am) I sleep terribly, up every hour, etc. I think it's in anticipation of my am run? Why is this? Anyone else?? I ran 7 miles today and did fine, but exhausted now from a bad night of sleep!

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am training for a 1/2 marathon. The nights before I run (I run early in the am) I sleep terribly, up every hour, etc. I think it's in anticipation of my am run? Why is this? Anyone else?? I ran 7 miles today and did fine, but exhausted now from a bad night of sleep!

my guess would be excitement. this happens to me the night before a race or if i'm doing a long run in a new area. if caffeine affects you i would make sure you do not have anything with caffeine in it before bed.
  • burbacka1132
    burbacka1132 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Is it because you're thinking about what you need to wear or bring (energy chew, water, ipod, etc)...? Maybe try setting all that stuff out before you go to bed the night before?
  • librarygirlontherun
    Options
    I do that too. but lack of sleep does not seem to harm me. The night before a race I will take an Ambien. Last spring I ran my fasted 1/2 2:12 after not having slept good for an entire week. We had a death of a staff memeber at our school and it was very sad, drepressing and stressful.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Its just anxiety. Sometimes I take a melatonin the night before long runs. It helps me sleep and I don't feel groggy in the morning. Well, I feel groggy for 5 minutes, but once I'm up and moving I'm fine.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Try to take the time to make sure you are organized fir your run before bed. Lay out your clothes shoes water etc so you are not strewing about where things are. Take a nice calming relaxing soak before bed to claim you down.
    You maybe worrying about over sleeping so try to get to bed early.
    Relax it is just a run and you can do it.