PALEO: pros, cons and whatever else you may think?

Options

Replies

• agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Whole30 approved foods

That phrase makes my skin crawl.

Also: Oh, look, you can buy things right on the Whole30 (TM) website! Yeesh.
    Shudder. It couldn't appear more cult-like if it tried...

The whole idea though is to cut out foods that cause problems for many people to see what happens. Once you've gotten them out of your system, you are encouraged to re-introduce whatever foods you miss and see how you feel eating them. So if you want your legumes, try them after 30 days of not having them and see if you still feel as good. If you do - eat them. If you don't, it's up to you. Would you rather not eat them and feel better or feel worse and eat them? Do what works for you. Same with dairy or anything else.

I've not heard of a lot of cults that are all about figuring out what's the absolute best thing for you as an individual...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Whole30 approved foods

The whole idea though is to cut out foods that cause problems for many people to see what happens. Once you've gotten them out of your system, you are encouraged to re-introduce whatever foods you miss and see how you feel eating them. So if you want your legumes, try them after 30 days of not having them and see if you still feel as good. If you do - eat them. If you don't, it's up to you. Would you rather not eat them and feel better or feel worse and eat them? Do what works for you. Same with dairy or anything else.

I've not heard of a lot of cults that are all about figuring out what's the absolute best thing for you as an individual...

The whole idea is to sell books.

Right from the Whole30 (registered trademark) home page:

"LET US CHANGE YOUR LIFE. $14.95. SIGN UP NOW."
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Any diet that has a name is silly.

Any diet that strictly prohibits certain foods is silly.

Any diet that does both of these is double-silly.

By all means focus your diet on lean meats and veggies. But don't listen to what other people tell you are acceptable foods and unacceptable foods. Focus on your nutrients and eat things you enjoy.

Well some of us that approach doesn't work. I need to impose restrictions on myself for a number of reasons. While your advice might work for some people. You should perhaps consider that those of us who have had eating disorders or are recovering from them. Might not be able to handle that kind of diet.

I eat basically a keto regime. I eat high protein high fiber, low carb and low cal. It works well for me.

- I don't eat wheat products (bread, pasta, processed foods)
    -I don't eat refined sugars (I eat fruits but limited amounts)

Although I do partake in a taste or two of certain things. My low carb regime stops me from eating a number of items on a regular basis.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone. But for me this is how I choose to live my lifestyle. I don't go out and preach this to most people since they won't want to give up those foods they like.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Pros:
    Yummy delicious meat

Cons:
    No bread
    No cookies
    No ice cream
    No potato chips
    No pasta
    No pretzels

See where I'm going with this?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Any diet that strictly prohibits certain foods is silly.

Any diet that does both of these is double-silly.

By all means focus your diet on lean meats and veggies. But don't listen to what other people tell you are acceptable foods and unacceptable foods. Focus on your nutrients and eat things you enjoy.

Well some of us that approach doesn't work. I need to impose restrictions on myself for a number of reasons. While your advice might work for some people. You should perhaps consider that those of us who have had eating disorders or are recovering from them. Might not be able to handle that kind of diet.

So impose restrictions on yourself. If you have trigger foods or something that's fine.

But don't impose restrictions on yourself because some Diet Plan ($14.95 a month!) tells you that those foods are automatically bad and they have The Secret To Weight Loss (tm).

Eat what works for you. Don't eat certain foods, or avoid certain foods, because some fad diet tells you they're "Approved" or "Bad" or whatever.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Con: no legumes

That con alone is too big for me. I eat legumes every single day and have for several decades.

Peanuts!

Nomnomnom...
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Whole30 approved foods

Heh, except most of the people I know who are doing/have done Whole30 never bought the book. You can get all the info without it - the book is just useful in understanding the science behind the rationale.
  • tsaalyo
    tsaalyo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    PROS:

It can work well and quickly for weight loss
    No need for the hassle of calorie counting
    Can help regularise cravings
    Can help with digestive discomfort

CONS:

Restrictive food choice
    Lack of cake
    Can be expensive
    Can be hard to implement into day to day life
    Did I mention lack of cake?

There is ALWAYS the need for counting calories. Always. Your weight is an equation of calories in vs. calories out. That's IT. There are no magical foods. If you eat 10,000 calories worth of organic salad in a day, you will gain weight. If you eat 1,500 calories worth of KFC in a day, you won't. All food plans are basically shams. If they work, it's only because it manages your calories without you realizing it. And that's why people get off them when they reach their goal and then gain everything back. You need to learn to manage your calories with your everyday diet. No, NO food plan will teach you that. Only you can, using the food you already eat every day. That's the only reliable way to get lifelong results.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Whole30 approved foods

Heh, except most of the people I know who are doing/have done Whole30 never bought the book. You can get all the info without it - the book is just useful in understanding the science behind the rationale.

It doesn't matter whether everyone following the plan has bought the book. The plan exists in order to sell books. It was developed to sell books.

There's nothing magical about it. It's not special. It doesn't have The Secret. Whole30 is a commercial operation designed to sell books and online memberships.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I have been doing the Paleo-Zone Challenge at my box too. I am at week 3 of week 4.

I was already starting to eat more Paleo (90%) three weeks before the challenge so it wasn't as bad to begin with and I wasn't eating a lot of junk food and trying to make healthier choices.

Progress so far: I have lost 5 pounds, and 5 inches off my waist in three weeks. And I've been working out 5 times a week. (3-4 times at the box and another activity on the weekend) and yes, I did have the occasional cheat on the weekend that wasn't paleo-zone. (I'm only human!) But people are noticing my progress.

But seriously, I was still counting my calories so that I don't go overboard. Because you can't lose if you go over your calorie allowance even if you eat Paleo. Paleo will not be the reason you lose fat. A calorie deficit will. I have experienced that eating Paleo will help you feel fuller longer on foods that have less calories because you can really fill yourself up easily with vegetables which are low calorie. But if the reason of the challenge is to feel better and healthier overall, try it for three weeks! You will notice a difference!

But here are my Pros and Cons at week3 of my Paleo-Zone Challenge:

PROS:

- You feel amazing! Believe me, what you put in your mouth really does make a difference. I have so much energy and feel great!
    - Get to try new recipes
    - Feel less bloated and gassy....:blushing:
    - Grain-fed meat is a lot tastier. (I never thought I would taste the difference)
    - More regular
    - Because I am eating more vegetables and fruits, I feel less hungry all the time and can actually control my portions better.
    - You can't be Paleo all the time, it's socially restrictive. So when you do have something you have been missing, (icecream, nutella, bread), it is just that much satisfying!

CONS:
    - It has lots of restrictions (pasta, bread, nutella, booze, beans, corn etc)
    - Hard to access grain-fed meats (depending on where you live)
    - Need to plan ahead
    - Lots of contradicting information on what is considered Paleo.

For people saying that its more expensive going Paleo, I would say that I disagree. I track all my expenses and my grocery bill for me and my bf have been going down for the past two months since we started going Paleo. Of course, this might vary if you don't have access to grain-fed meat easily.

The secret is plan plan plan. Don't just come home to an empty fridge or else you will be tempted to eat that box of KD that's been in the cupboard for so long. Try to cook more portions at your supper for leftovers the next day at lunch!

Good luck :drinker:

This is an excellent explanation. For me, it also made me so much more aware of foods I am sensitive too. Dairy and gluten are the big ones for me. I never went back to dairy but occasionally I have some gluten and within a few hours I realize why I gave it up in the first place. Overall (even with slip-ups) I feel so much better. I have lost 5 lbs (but I also cut calories) and my boyfriend has lost 25 lbs. He also does crossfit and his place just completed their 30 day paleo challenge, but we've been doing Paleo for 5 months.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I couldnt go strictly Paleo and cut out everything! BUT, about 9 months ago I did a modified version of it, limiting dairy, sugar and carbs but not eliminating it all together and it was a good kick start for me. Am literally about to do the same thing. I don't like to say I am doing any particular "Diet" ... rather I am changing my diet up since I have been sitting at the same number for a while now!

I would ignore the Haters comments, focus on what you think will work for you. Best of luck in whatever you choose.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I have been doing the Paleo-Zone Challenge at my box too. I am at week 3 of week 4.

I was already starting to eat more Paleo (90%) three weeks before the challenge so it wasn't as bad to begin with and I wasn't eating a lot of junk food and trying to make healthier choices.

Progress so far: I have lost 5 pounds, and 5 inches off my waist in three weeks. And I've been working out 5 times a week. (3-4 times at the box and another activity on the weekend) and yes, I did have the occasional cheat on the weekend that wasn't paleo-zone. (I'm only human!) But people are noticing my progress.

But seriously, I was still counting my calories so that I don't go overboard. Because you can't lose if you go over your calorie allowance even if you eat Paleo. Paleo will not be the reason you lose fat. A calorie deficit will. I have experienced that eating Paleo will help you feel fuller longer on foods that have less calories because you can really fill yourself up easily with vegetables which are low calorie. But if the reason of the challenge is to feel better and healthier overall, try it for three weeks! You will notice a difference!

But here are my Pros and Cons at week3 of my Paleo-Zone Challenge:

PROS:

- You feel amazing! Believe me, what you put in your mouth really does make a difference. I have so much energy and feel great!
    - Get to try new recipes
    - Feel less bloated and gassy....:blushing:
    - Grain-fed meat is a lot tastier. (I never thought I would taste the difference)
    - More regular
    - Because I am eating more vegetables and fruits, I feel less hungry all the time and can actually control my portions better.
    - You can't be Paleo all the time, it's socially restrictive. So when you do have something you have been missing, (icecream, nutella, bread), it is just that much satisfying!

CONS:
    - It has lots of restrictions (pasta, bread, nutella, booze, beans, corn etc)
    - Hard to access grain-fed meats (depending on where you live)
    - Need to plan ahead
    - Lots of contradicting information on what is considered Paleo.

For people saying that its more expensive going Paleo, I would say that I disagree. I track all my expenses and my grocery bill for me and my bf have been going down for the past two months since we started going Paleo. Of course, this might vary if you don't have access to grain-fed meat easily.

The secret is plan plan plan. Don't just come home to an empty fridge or else you will be tempted to eat that box of KD that's been in the cupboard for so long. Try to cook more portions at your supper for leftovers the next day at lunch!

Good luck :drinker:

You state Grain Fed beef / Meats.... I always thought it was supposed to be GRASS FED meats? Because Grain causes the same problem in animals as they do in humans. So I thought... not an expert by any means and not saying you are wrong, you seem to be way more experienced in this than me, just a question.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So, say there is a way of eating that masses of people follow for generations. It's healthy and sustainable. Then, someone comes along and gives this way of eating a name, say for example, the Mediterranean Diet. Now this time proven healthy diet is suddenly silly? I don't see the logic there.
  • jonnythan
    Options

So, say there is a way of eating that masses of people follow for generations. It's healthy and sustainable. Then, someone comes along and gives this way of eating a name, say for example, the Mediterranean Diet. Now this time proven healthy diet is suddenly silly? I don't see the logic there.

Yes, it's silly because "The Mediterranean Diet" doesn't accurately capture how any actual individual, let alone an entire culture, eats. It's a silly condensed list of "eat this not that" that doesn't allow for the flexibility and variation found in "the real thing."

If you took "The Mediterranean Diet" and applied it to how anyone living around the Mediterranean actually eats, you'd see that they don't actually follow "The Mediterranean Diet."
  • Batman_75
    Batman_75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been considering a version of paleo for a while. But my reasoning for doing so has been less about weight loss and more about additives and gmo. Eliminating grains and dairy for me means eliminating a lot of prepackaged and processed food. While I won't be following paleo to the letter. Ill probably be doing what works for me with paleo as a general guideline. I've lost plenty of weight doing non paleo calorie counting so you don't need paleo to lose weight. But it might help with avoiding some of the frighteninggarbage most major ccompanies hide in your food. A good rule of thumb. If it has more than five ingredients, it's probably a bad idea.

Imho

ive been doing the whole eating healthy, counting calories thing for over a year now with a lot of success...i recently switched up my workout routine from just basic gym work/cardio/etc to include crossfit and a lot more weight lifting so i was thinking i would transition my diet choices as well and see how that worked for me.

By all means switch up your diet if you want something different. Introduce new foods and new meal ideas.

You don't need some silly restrictive diet to do this. If you think paleo sounds good, incorporate some common paleo foods into your meals, whatever those might be. But there's no reason to buy into "paleo" and skip the ice cream.

This is actually a good idea. You can look around at all the various silly diets out there and work some of their common foods into your meals. Have a big pile of paleo meat for dinner one night followed by ice cream, then have some vegan enchiladas for lunch the next day. Or whatever.

What I'm saying is if you're bored with your food take food inspiration from others. You don't need to totally buy into their "diet" to enjoy their meals.

I guess my greater point (which I did a terrible job making) Is that I generally don't do any "diet" verbatim. But I do like some of the concepts here. The science behind paleo is flawed to say the least. But some aspects are pretty darn good. Anything that involves eating less processed foods and more veggies is good stuff. The general idea is do what you want with your diet. For me, I could definitely afford to cut refined sugars and a lot of the grains. But legumes? I needs may beans.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Con: no legumes

That con alone is too big for me. I eat legumes every single day and have for several decades.

QFT

Life without my favorite legume would be unlivable!

p_101126992.jpg
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Pro: its composed of mostly whole foods

Con: it has stupid exclusions that make no sense for 99% of the population

/thread
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Just don't turn into a paleo freak. Also don't forget that paleo is based on evolution from the paleolithic era. Everything might not have been optimal back then, and well, somepeople don't buy into evolution but they want to eat like a caveman that came from apes.....?
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Plus Alan has spoken. Thus sayeth the lord.
    Alan Aragon is a name you can remember to help you cut through all of this industry's bullshlt.

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NSCA/Inactive_Content/Program_Books/PTC_2013_Program_Book/Aragon.pdf

Now end thread
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    woops! did i post in the wrong spot? ive been a member for about 18 months and never posted before...rookie mistake.

ive already cut out bread for the most part, my boyfriend is into powerlifting so we tend to go through phases of him eating 0 carbs for a few weeks and then transitioning, etc.

every time i've tried to cut out carbs entirely the first week is brutal. thats why i was thinking maybe paleo would be a bit easier and more sustainable.
    You posted in the right spot, theoretically. But there are a few very prescriptive know it alls who mock anything other than "iffym" (google it).
    You'll get some good replies here though, and if you decide to study it more, there's a few good groups that can answer your questions.