Sunday Meal Prep for the Work Week

Options
Just sharing...I think I (finally) figured out a plan that works for me. My workplace cafeteria is mediocre at best, they're expensive too, and some days there are green veggies and some days not. It's like roulette and you just never know. So I couldn't realistically keep things in check by getting meals there.

So, I've done batch prep for the past couple Sundays, and it seems to work / be convenient:
- Prep 5 individual servings of kale and chicken apple sausage (sauteed in skillet): 240 cals
- Prep 3 individual servings of veggie omelet (2 whole eggs, some zucchini, tomatoes, mushroom): 155 cals
- Prep 2 individual servings of salad, bring tuna in water pouch (plus lite dressing): 160 cals

I bring all these meals to work on Monday. Each meal is in a flat square tupperware so they stack quite nicely in the fridge at work.

I do one hour workouts in the morning, and eat breakfast before work:
- Raisin Bran and 1/2 cup 2% milk: 255 cals *OR, if I have time
- Rolled oats and 1/4 cup 2% milk plus 1 tsp sugar: 237 cals
*let's not forget coffee at a whopping 100 cals (can't do without my cream and sugar)

Have 2 of the prepped meals throughout the day.

Make a veggie/fruit shake with my new NutriBullet (100 cals) when I get home...go walk the dog, etc...

Dinner...a sensible dinner which sometimes I adhere to...and sometimes not. It depends on my willpower.

Yes, the work day meals are repetitive...but I don't want to get crazy with my food budget by trying to make all sorts of things for small meals at work. You know, like if I want to bring a turkey sandwich on a day or two...well that means a whole loaf of bread and pack of turkey meat...which serves more than just one or two sandwiches, so the rest will just go to waste.

I know other people do this type of meal prep too...care to share your routine / menu?

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    its always great to have a plan!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I try to always do my meal prep on Sundays. I make about eight egg wraps (made from two eggs cooked in a pan and made flat into a wrap) and use them for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I put apples with cinnamon in them, or tofu, sausage, deli meat, spinach and mushrooms, tons of different options.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I love doing meal prep Sundays! Doesn't take all that long in the grand scheme of things, and supplies me with quick grab-n-go food all week long!

This week, we cooked up a bunch of chicken on the grill, a pound of ground turkey, some rice, and some oatmeal. Also, shredded up my cabbages for quick salads.

To help keep me grabbing proper portions, I will write with a dry erase marker on each tupperware, the full serving amounts of whatever's inside. This helps me portion out enough of each item so I can piece together a meal on the fly, without having to say, ok, this week, I'm going to eat Chicken/Rice/Avocado every day for lunch, or whatever. I can just reach in the fridge, do some simple math with the macros written on the container, and quickly use my pre-cooked foods to assemble a variety of meals using other items in the house.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am not as disciplined as you with the meal prep

But I usually make a soup on Sundays in my crock pot. Veggie soup yesterday.
    I also make chicken and bean chili-like thing. That is good for 4 meals
    I make protein cakes. 12 at a time.
    I make my eggs in the morning and take them to work.
    I do overnight oatmeal.. and am planning on trying the crock pot oatmeal.
    I boil a dozen eggs
    I also get carrots, baby cucumber and baby peppers for easy grab and go snacking.

I try to make enough dinner to have leftovers, but I have a teenage football player in the house.. There isn't much left behind. Even the salad and veggies are usually gone

I make about eight egg wraps (made from two eggs cooked in a pan and made flat into a wrap) and use them for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I put apples with cinnamon in them, or tofu, sausage, deli meat, spinach and mushrooms, tons of different options.
    This is an awesome idea! I need to try it
  • mazekah
    mazekah Posts: 52
    Options
    I call it making my own TV dinners. That way i keep close to the "holy triad' of a protein, carb, fat at each meal. I notice if I get carbo heavy like your food plan I usually bail halfway through the day.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    You know you can freeze bread? With just me and the hubby, I immediately cut a loaf in half and freeze half. Even if you don't use it for sandwiches later, you can use it for bread crumbs or as filler for meatloaf or stuffed peppers. I buy only local, artisanal whole grain breads as white and/or processed breads get gummy when frozen - seems the chemicals don't like to be frozen :)

I boil 4 eggs for 2 breakfasts for hubby and me (we ride to work together and eat in the car on the way to the T station).
    Pick up Applegate Farms turkey sausage that zaps in microwave, tastes delicious and you can pronounce all the ingredients.
    Mini-bagels I top with either avocado & cottage cheese or cream cheese (thin schmear), avocado & hot pepper jelly
    Small burrito wraps into which I put scrambled eggs and any veg I have in the fridge.
    Someone mentioned making a quiche and dividing it throughout the week.
    Someone else mentioned baking eggs, sausage, cheese and veg in a muffin tin, bake, cool, freeze, then grab and thaw on way out the door.

SOUP - it's my go-to. I usually pick up fresh veg from Farmer's Market on Saturday's. Sometimes meat, sometimes not. Yesterday I made this super simply, fiber rich soup.
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 clove crushed garlic
    1/2 small onion - diced
    1 can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
    4 cups chicken stock - low sodium
    1 15oz. can tomatoes (I actually roast and fresh mine from my garden & use all Fall and Winter)
    1 cup pasta (I had elbow macaroni)

Saute garlic & onion in olive oil. Add chicken stock, beans, tomatoes and pasta. Simmer until pasta is cooked. Makes HUGE pot of soup (you can also freeze in 1 cup containers.

Also made huge pot of Beef Borscht w/fresh beets.

Last week made turkey chili in slow cooker. I put all ingredients in the pot just before bed, cook overnight, next day pour into cool pot and store in fridge till you get home, skim extra fat, re-heat. Also easy to freeze.

I also do the salad w/tuna pouch. They also have chicken and salmon pouches for a little variety. or I'll grab the other half of whatever protein I didn't finish at dinner the night before - grilled salmon, pork chop, chicken sausage, steak. I rarely eat the entire serving.

Roast a chicken, then make half into chicken salad (Thai, Chinese, Greek, Provencal use greek yogurt in place of half or all of the mayo) and measure into 1 cup containers. Get some bib lettuce and have lettuce cups. Suprisingly my husband LOVES these.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I get incredibly bored easily so I'm constantly scoping out new recipes and ideas.
  • hifi898
    hifi898 Posts: 54
    Options
    I typically prep all my food on Sundays, too, and eat the same thing every week. Keeps my food budget in check since I'm the only one eating even remotely healthy in my house. Every day I pack:

Breakfast - 4 boiled eggs - eat the whites only, 1/2c dry oats with 1tsp cinnamon
    Snack #1 - 4oz canned chicken with Dijon mustard, 2 plain rice cakes
    Lunch - 4z (cooked) chicken tenderloins sautéed in Braggs Liquid Aminos, 200g frozen whole green beans, 200g of cubed raw sweet potato (I steam it for 6 mins in the microwave at work and salt it...delish!!)
    Snack #2 - 4oz canned chicken with Dijon mustard (OR 1 can tuna in water with mustard), 1 Joseph's flat pita bread

I usually toss an apple in there if I get extra hungry, but this seems to do okay for now. My Sunday mean prep is easy: bagging the veggies and oats, cooking the chicken, boiling the eggs, and dumping enough canned chicken into a Tupperware to measure out 4oz x 2meals x 5 days. Simple :wink:
  • burbacka1132
    burbacka1132 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to always do my meal prep on Sundays. I make about eight egg wraps (made from two eggs cooked in a pan and made flat into a wrap) and use them for breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I put apples with cinnamon in them, or tofu, sausage, deli meat, spinach and mushrooms, tons of different options.

This sounds like a good idea...thanks for sharing!
  • erinleigh1128
    erinleigh1128 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to do meal prep on Sundays for dinners. I have a 15 and 12 year old at home that are quite capable of cooking dinner (my 15 year old is a phenom in the kitchen) but I freak out over meat temps. So I have been spending my Sunday frying 3#bacon, 5# ground beef, 1 whole chicken.

I portion the bacon out in baggies and place in the freezer for breakfasts and if we have BLTs
    I portion the meat out by the pound for pastas or tacos
    I shred the chicken for bbq or buffalo sandwiches.

Now that I am revamping my (our) diet I am looking for better things to make using the meats. My family hated ground turkey, although I have no idea how they could tell the difference. Any ideas?