Getting frustrated by people going "low carb"!

Options
Maybe its just the type of exercise I do (lifting/strength training) but carbs are how I get through my day! I understand that low carb may "help" initially, but there is no way you can keep that up your whole life... any isn't the whole point of weight loss to be something that is a lifestyle change and that is easy to stick to?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should focus on you. There's no reason to be frustrated with other peoples' carb consumption.
  • astrophysically_fit
    Options
    I'm just trying to understand. Perhaps my subject was a little overzealous.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've been low carbing it for a couple months now, since the end of July. I was getting nowhere before. Watching everything I ate, exercising, lifting. I'd fluctuate between the same 3-4lbs lost and gained, for months on end. I started low carbing and now I'm losing nice and steady, 5lbs a week, sometimes a pound. I'm down 10+lbs since early August, and I'm 16lbs from my goal weight now. .

I initially thought my lifts were suffering, as much from losing weight as the low carbs. But a few weeks in, my energy level was fine. I reset my lifting routine and tested some rep out maxes to see where I'd start the program again, and surprisingly, found I was using heavier weights at the same point in the program then I was using before the low carbs. So while it felt like I was struggling, I actually was doing better than I thought.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Nurtition is so different for everyone, do what works for you. I know for me, I do a lot of endurance exercises and when I haven't had enough carbs I get light headed and fuzzy... can't concentrate and I get really grumpy. I've had people (without me even asking or mentioning it) tell ,e that I'm eating too many carbs and should cut that out... even when I was losing weight just fine thank you very much.

I've found that there are some subjects that you just don't bring up, politics, money, and fitness/nutrition!! haha
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetes is becoming more & more common (among Americans anyway) ...so get used to seeing low carbers.

It's not for me....but as they say different strokes
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy, and have been low carb for awhile now. A) it really is non of your business, good for you that you can eat all the carbs and still be healthy, I however can not. B) Protein is key for lifting heavy, not carbs, C) I have never felt better then I have since cutting carbs. It's working for me, my macros are awesome, my calorie consumption is easy to maintain, and I don't miss the heavy, bloated, gassy feeling of carbs.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I predict this is not going to go the way you think it will.

Focus on you.

The end.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you don't go low carb if it doesn't appeal to you.
  • MsJLauria
    Options
    I tried to avoid carbs before I started learning more about nutrition and it made me very weak and tired. I now just choose lower GI options with high nutritional value such as quinoa, sweet potato and pearl barley and this seems to work great for me. It's exciting discovering new foods to replace boring old potatoes and bread too!
  • Tyyche
    Tyyche Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Focus on you.

The end.

Agreed, 100% on all accounts.

Low carb worked very well for me.
  • ShesFabulous
    Options
    Some people have health conditions and carb sensitivity. You should focus on you
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    i do eat carbs, but the bread/pasta sort make me sick & bloated. not everyone is the same as you are. if it makes you happy, eat all the carbs. for the most part it makes me happier to eat chicken and drink protein shakes :)
  • Thatgirlkds
    Thatgirlkds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My sister goes low carb every time she has to lose weight. The only problem is as soon as she starts eating carbs again, she gains it all back. In order for the diet to work, it has to be a full lifestyle change. Not just a "diet for a while". She also skips exercising and just diets to cut the pounds, so maybe she doesn't need them, because she's not seeing as much action during the day as you are. I have lost 50 pounds and want to lose more, but I can only do it with a healthy balanced diet, including carbs, and working out like 4-5 times a week.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Focus on you.

The end.

im focusing on you!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't see why one couldn't maintain a low carb diet for their whole lives (granted, I am assuming you mean cutting potatoes and bread and that kind of stuff, not the happy carbs from veggies and the like). Not everyone is crazy about them. And some who are find, once they have greatly reduced or eliminated them entirely, that they feel a heck of a lit better.

Me? I love some carbs! But at the same time, I am trying to gear my diet more towards fruits and veggies, and I know darn good and well that if I eat a piece of rye bread, I will eat 7. I don't want to do that, so I try to limit as much as I can.

I wouldn't let other people's harmless choices affect you so much.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For some people lower carbs is the only why they could get a caloric deficit. If the only thing you changed was lowering carbs, then your caloric intake would be lower leading to weight loss. Nothing magical about low carb, just one of many ways people choose to use to get a caloric deficit.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    my family is "low carb" because of my husband's Dr required diet. We both lift. We are both strong and healthy. Don't get frustrated by what other people do, no one is asking you to join in.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    What other ppl do does not effect you so do you. Find out what works for you and stick with it.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Low carb mostly vegetarian for diabetic to lose weight, per endocrinologist's recommendation. 45 carbs per meal, with a 45 carb snack.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I do intend to eat in a lower carb/high fat manner for the rest of my life...it does work for some. If you really want to know WHY people do it, research insulin resistance and type two diabetes in America (or the rest of the developed world, for that matter). I find I don't need a lot of carbohydrate for my exercise routines, but they're not likely to be as vigorous as yours.