Is being under/within calorie goal enough for weightloss?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've recently started using MFP, and had two good weeks of clean eating and exercise. Over the last four days I've been snacking on processed foods ( a habit I know I need to break). However, for the most part, I've remained below my daily calorie goal.

For continued weightloss, do I need to make sure my food always remains 'clean', or are the benefits of clean eating more related to having the right nutrients for strong body ( rather than weightloss)?

Would appreciated your thoughts.

Thanks,

k

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't come down to the quality of food, it comes down to a calorie deficit. Calories in v. calories out.
  • lma0423
    lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You just need a deficit and you'll lose weight. If you plan on lifting and gaining strength and muscle then you'll have too look more into how you're getting your calories rather than just how much. The only thing is it's easier to stay on track when eating healthy foods rather than processed. For example a grilled piece of chicken breast is about 120 calories, while a small cookie might be the same. The chicken will keep you satisfied longer. Good luck!
  • LosingLaurensWay
    LosingLaurensWay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be comepletely honest I eat at Burger King almost every other day but I only get snack wraps or grilled chicken sandwiches(I rarely get fries anymore). Heck, I even go out and drink with my friends multiple times a week but I always make sure to go to the gym and work hard to stand under my goal, not only or the day but for the week. Clearly the cleanliness of my food hasn't stopped me from loosing as much as I have. My best advice is to stay under your goal and stay active.
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Staying under = weight loss. I think with "clean eating" it's really that you get more for your cals than with prepared foods, usually also lower in sodium.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    You will be overall healthier if you eat clean but it's not necessary. Like posted above, it's about a calorie deficit. I eat way too much processed food but am trying to eat cleaner. It otherwise contains so many chemicals and additives it's crazy. And my daily sodium intake is constantly too high. I'm working hard to change that but the focus is always calories in v calories out.
  • kcangela
    kcangela Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with comments. I think if you keep within/under cals each day you will lose weight, whatever you eat. But eating 'clean' is better for you health-wise and may help keep you full longer. Good luck with whatever you decide suits you best.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't like the term clean eating but it is preferable. I can be under my calories but if I eat too many thng like bread, process foods, my body reacts and end up bloating from water retention. I have had as much as 5-7 pounds just from water. Atm, despite keeping to my usual 500 calorie deficit per day, I am 12 pounds higher than the lowest weight I was 6 months ago.
  • karabo83
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback, you are all so inspiring! Will see how things go with the next weigh-in on Saturday. I'm just so surprised the having all the processed foods ( and staying under the calorie goal) doesn't necessarily mean weight gain. This process ( approach to food and weight loss) is definitely a change in thinking, and in a good way, so liberating!:)

k
  • karabo83
    Options
    I don't like the term clean eating but it is preferable. I can be under my calories but if I eat too many thng like bread, process foods, my body reacts and end up bloating from water retention. I have had as much as 5-7 pounds just from water. Atm, despite keeping to my usual 500 calorie deficit per day, I am 12 pounds higher than the lowest weight I was 6 months ago.

You do make a good point. I find that eating the processed stuff plays havoc with my emotions/moods, lol. I'm sorry to hear this about your increased weight, despite being under your calorie goal. I hope you are able to figure out what's happening with your body soon, and get back on a winning track:)