Cheat days getting out of control...

Options

Replies

• jen4relient22
    Options
    yep, it's become the same way for me... i used to just have one cheat meal, which was so much better! it didn't feel like a total loss of control day where i had to eat everything i'd been wanting for week.

this weekend, i at least kept my cheat day to around 2400 cals, whereas the previous week was over 4000. :/ hoping next week will be even better, but it's hard to break the cycle! however, i did lose the most weight in one week ever after the crazy cheat day... and that's going from weigh-in the day before the cheat day to one week later, so mixing it up isn't totally terrible.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have been in the habit of giving myself one "cheat day" every week or two weeks - usually a Saturday - where I can eat up to maintenance (about 2100 for me). These have helped keep me motivated because I have something to look forward to at week's end. But as I lose more weight and get closer to my goal, I have found my cheat days getting more and more out of control, to the point where I am eating far more than my maintenance calories, and sometimes I lose control and do the same on Sunday as well.

This past weekend, I ate 4000 calories on Saturday and 3500 on Sunday. I feel a little sick when I eat that much, but not overfull. It's like my body is staging a rebellion against the continued weight loss and trying to force me back up.

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice for getting past it? Should I throw out the cheat days altogether?

Thanks -

You sound exactly like me to the 'T'! I am having problems with this. Starting this coming w/e I am going to try to stick to Saturday being the day I don't log and worry too much about it. I am going to be strong on Sunday! I am determined.

No I don't think either of us need to throw out the cheat days. There area a lot of people who will say make it just a meal or don't have it at all as it is too tempting. But really, what works for you works for you. If it doesn't work, change it up or stop it. I myself will try to keep it on Saturday and get back on the wagon on Sunday. :)
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm liking these suggestions of cheat meals, rather than days. For me, it might even have to be a special cheat item. If I eat the "old" way, I get horrible stomach aches, so avoiding pain is a strong motivator. The last 2 weeks I was sick, and somehow managed to go over my calorie limit on several days. Now the scale is stuck, and it's motivating me to gain control of the ship.

Wish this losing weight journey was like quitting cigarettes or something - where I could just ABSTAIN. Go cold turkey off the turkey and mayo sandwiches.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Cheat days are a great way to look at your diet as being something temporary and to be circumvented. Stop setting yourself up for disaster and eat for life, not for losses.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have cheat weekends and they are great, eat and drink well everyday? no thank you
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think non food rewards are more productive to your weight loss goals... Dont reward yourself for a good week with food, its like giving a dog a treat for not pissing on the carpet
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is acknowledge it, learn from it, and next time manage your calories better.
  • lakepowelllady1
    Options
    I think it's important to have a free day, but not go over board.. I read a few people saying to keep as if it were a maintains stage, that sounds smart to me. It could get out of control if you don't correct it ASAP, that's how I got where I am at today. It's not easy to lose 30 lbs don't let it creep back on. Remember it's much easier to put it on, then it is to take it off. Stay strong, and keep focused.:glasses:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I think non food rewards are more productive to your weight loss goals... Dont reward yourself for a good week with food, its like giving a dog a treat for not pissing on the carpet

Thats how to train a dog to not piss on the carpet.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have been in the habit of giving myself one "cheat day" every week or two weeks - usually a Saturday - where I can eat up to maintenance (about 2100 for me). These have helped keep me motivated because I have something to look forward to at week's end. But as I lose more weight and get closer to my goal, I have found my cheat days getting more and more out of control, to the point where I am eating far more than my maintenance calories, and sometimes I lose control and do the same on Sunday as well.

This past weekend, I ate 4000 calories on Saturday and 3500 on Sunday. I feel a little sick when I eat that much, but not overfull. It's like my body is staging a rebellion against the continued weight loss and trying to force me back up.

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice for getting past it? Should I throw out the cheat days altogether?

Thanks -

Sundays are my 'fun food' day (aka cheat day) Can I tell you how much I love Sundays:wink: But every once in awhile my cheat day becomes a cheat weekend and too many of those are counter productive and will eventually lead to weight gain. I tell myself I have 2 choices - (1) kick myself in the butt, flex my willpower and go back to enjoying ONE cheat day. (2) Or give it up all together. Hmmmm I think I'll go with door number one.......WILLPOWER. I still get a day where I can enjoy foods that I love but after that it's back to the plan.

Side note - cheat day does not mean binge day. There are still some limits!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Thats how to train a dog to not piss on the carpet.

Hah, that's what I was thinking!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I try not to do cheat days....It takes me all week to lose the pounds I put on!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What is the concept of the "cheat day". To eat something you normally do not allow yourself, or to eat more than you normally allow yourself?

I would say, eat whatever you want on any day, just eat amounts that fit into your calorie goal. Then you won't have any real reason to need a cheat day, you won't feel deprived. If you want to continue to lose weight with only a small amount of weight left to lose, your calorie deficit is much smaller and it is easier to undo your progress with a cheat day.
  • DivietoDiSosta
    DivietoDiSosta Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You already know the answer to your own question OP.

Yep. You know the answer, why ask the question.

For just the response I received: The motivation and support of the community that is the point of this forum (at least, that's what it says on the tin).
  • meskew87
    meskew87 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use my cheat meals as an opportunity to eat whatever as want but I keep it within my calories for the day. Usually Saturdays are my longer workouts, so it ends up being a good day to let myself indulge. I don't want to go over my calories and totally binge/pig out, but I don't allow myself sweets or treats during the week (the more I eat, the more I crave etc etc) so Saturdays are my day for a little ice cream, a soda, glass of wine, something along those lines. I will sometimes be pretty conservative all day so I can go all out with a fun dinner. Its enjoyable without feeling like I've wrecked my week
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    skip the cheat days and just eat reasonably if you deprive yourself all week then binge one day your setting yourself up for undoing all your hard work.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Our family goes out to eat once a week & I consider that my cheat meal. I look up the menu & log in what I intend to eat. If its over my calories, then I take my butt to the gym & drink a ton of water. During the week, I try to have a treat item every day (100 calorie snack packs, Carmel apple, etc) I try to keep the treat less than 200 calories so I never feel like I'm dieting!
  • tshef20
    tshef20 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've learned that cheat days don't work. When I've had an entire day to "cheat", I seem to fall back into bad habits. I've been working to change to having cheat "meals". Maybe getting a burger when we go out for dinner on Saturday or having a pizza with the wife. Just having some of the things I love, only in moderation. If you have the mindset that you are going to have an entire day to cheat, it only opens yourself up to relapse on you progress.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The science behind cheat days/meals is to help keep your metabolim in check. Many trainers, suggest cheat meals, but limit the calories so that it helps you rather than blows your diet out of the water.

I found this explanation on breakingmuscle.com

When dieting for fat loss, average intake of carbohydrates and calories tend to be low. Over time, your body realizes it is taking in fewer calories than it is burning. In turn, it will try to balance calories-in versus calories-out by becoming more efficient and your metabolism drops. This is not good when fat loss is the goal. Cheat days will trick the body into thinking it is getting enough calories (if not too many) and the body will then ignite its fat burning metabolism.

I personally like to add in a restaurant meal once a week and up my calories by a few hundred. I find that it allows me have some social eating, without blowing my calories. Last saturday I went out for chinese food and had tofu and brocoli and wonton soup. It wasn't gorging on pizza but it still felt like a treat.

I think though, if your cheat meal involves a lot of alcohol, it will be hard to recover the next day. I think working on making cheat meals work is good practice. Once you reach your goal weight, real life will happen. Going to events and going on vacation etc and leaning to includge without blowing your diet is a good skill to have. In the past I would go on hard core diets and when I would fall off the wagon I would fall hard and gain back the weight, repeating the process, again and again. I'm hoping that managing it better this time around will help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I "cheat" everyday so that this doesn't become an issue................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition