Dropping weight + dropping calories = hungry and struggling

Options
Hello - I've been plugging away at MFP for five months now. I've lost nearly 2.5 stone ( from 14st 10 down to 12.7 and at 5ft 10) and I'm pleased with that. I have 'off' days but I always try and account for them with exericse. This means often I'll have a nice meal out on a Saturday and then account for it with excercise the week after, or use up calories from the week before.

My diet varies (of course it does). Probably too much wine on occasion but lots of veg, protein (for a vegetarian) and other bits and bobs. I hope my diary is open. Bottom line is I'm trying. It isn't been a cakewalk but it's been OK and I've seen a slow but steady drop, apart from holiday blips. HOWEVER having hit 12.7 I reassed my calorie goals with MFP and it has given me a daily allowance of 1470. And for the first time in five months. I'm struggling. Really struggling. I feel hungry a lot of the time. And have gone over regularly by about 50-100 calories a day. For nearly three weeks now, no weight loss. I can cope with a stall, I get that. But I'm just finding it difficult now I'm hungry and miserable a lot of the time and there doesn't seem to be any benefit (you know what I mean!). I have been debating upping my calories to around 1510 again because I was fine with that but seems counterintuitive,particularly when the weightloss has tailed off.

I guess it might just be a case of hanging on in there but if anyone else has experienced a harder than expected 'transition' and had coping strategies I'd welcome hearing about that. Maybe just take it slower and up my settings to losing .5lb a week.?

In an ideal world I'd settle at 11st 10lb for a few months before reasssing where I want to take it from there.

Thank you in advance for any help and guidance. I am mega appreciative of the support I get here.

Replies

• twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are doing great --- 31 pounds in 5 months is terrific!

I have been at this for almost a year, and I have found that for me, there is a calorie figure that I just have to have, or I get very cranky and really struggle. It's between 1800 and 1900 (I'm tall). So for me, I have just learned to live with slower weight loss, and have tried to increase my exercise to burn more calories. For some reason, I don't find that a struggle --- as long as I'm eating between 1800-1900, even if I exercise more, I am fine. I'm not sure why this is, but that has helped me. I was in a plateau for some time -- part of it was that I wasn't measuring food carefully enough, and part of it that I wasn't exercising enough. About six weeks ago I upped my exercise and I am losing again at a reasonable pace, while still eating in my 1800-1900 range. So I'd say that if you need that extra 50-100 calories, eat it --- this isn't a race, and it won't work if you're miserable.

The only other suggestion I've seen on the boards that I can remember is to try to eat more protein and get more from your calories. But you may be doing this already.

I think that the most important thing is to just keep going --- keep logging, stick to it. The weight will start coming off again eventually.
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to respond! You sound like me - for some reason at a couple more hundred calories a day I could exercise all I want and feel satisfied from the food I ate, losing weight and it was all rosy and then BOOM - just the 'hanger' all the time.

Of course you are right - find a happy medium, keep plugging away, and as long as the scales and tape measure keep going in the right direction then I know i'm on the right path. Sometimes it just takes someone else to articulate it.

Thank you. I never fail to be amazed that people take the time to respond so thoughtfully. So thank you for taking the time to do that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? You're supposed to.

Honestly I've been using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and I've been losing great. I'm 13 lbs from my goal and still eating 1600 calories a day, and could probably get away with eating more.
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's what I needed to hear! Thanks for pointing me in that direction. (and yes I eat my exercise calories - I'd fade away otherwise...)
  • Determined82
    Determined82 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I divide my calories for the day so that way dinner is my biggest meal. I eat 200 calories for breakfast, 400 for lunch, and 600 for dinner. Then I set aside 100 extra calories for beverages etc. I aim for the 1300 calories or less 5 days a week and then twice a week I eat 2,000 calories or less to maintain. That way you get your cheats but you don't gain at the same time. If the scale does happen to go up then don't sweat it because its probably sodium and will come right back off after a day or two.