iron supplements making me sick?

Options
I started iron supplements about a month ago at the advice of my doctor. While I have been fighting a cold/flu for the last couple of weeks, I'm starting to wonder if my sensitive stomach is partially due to the iron. Did some research online, thinking maybe I shouldtake it at a different time of day than at breakfast with all my other supplements. Anybody have similar experiences, advice?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I remember with my prenatals, I tried to take them with a snack, just before bed, so I'd hopefully sleep through any adverse effects. I took iron as well, I think I also took them at bed. I also think you can get iron supplements that are slow release or slow digesting or something. I feel like that's what I took when pg, but I can't fully remember now, that was almost 5 years ago.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If I take anything with iron in the morning, I feel really nauseous. A few years ago, I was actually worried I was pregnant when I did not want to be because I was queasy every morning, but it was the iron in my multi vitamin. I now take it at night, and it's better. I had to experiment though to find a good time to take it. Technically, you should take an iron supplement on an empty stomach for maximum absorption, but a lot of people do need some food in their stomachs to be able to tolerate it.
  • erinleigh1128
    erinleigh1128 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cannot take anything with iron. When I do take my daily vitamin I have to take it half way through eating or I get sick.I feel really nauseous.
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    Taking iron in the evening when going to bed is a good idea. Remember to take it with vitamin c though, because that is what helps your body absorb it. I have very bad anemia problems, did I say very bad? Cuz its bad.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    A year ago my doctor wanted me to start taking a separate iron supplement. After a year of over-the-counter supplements my iron levels were not going up or down. So she put me on a prescription iron supplement. And I've noticed the last two months since taking it that I sometimes feel nauseous the rest of the day. And can't eat anything. I never throw, but no food sounds good. Is there any kind of food that you notice that makes you nauseous when taking iron supplements? Yesterday I ate an orange with it and felt fine all day. Today I ate a grapefruit with it and have felt sick all day. If I don't eat anything with it I get constipated. I may switch to taking it at night and see if that makes a difference.