body pump good weight trainning?

Options

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ^^^ The marketing is 800+ reps in any given class. It still seems strange that you'll answer a question about BodyPump without being familiar with it. Maybe drop in on a class, or something. Many gyms will allow non-members to try a class during "launch week", which happens about four times a year

To the OP, it's certainly better than nothing for sure, especially since you won't be doing free weights on your own

i gave advice based on weight training program that I thought would be best for the OP = compounds...

anything with 800 rep range in one class is waste of time IMO...

OP - I would suggest something that keeps you in the 8-10 rep range and is heavy for you ...

This ^^

Although Bodypump is probably better than nothing at all
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I was doing body pump until my cross fit trainer said that cf is better (of course). The difference is lots of reps and lower weights with body pump, and higher weights and fewer reps with cf. I think you should definitely try it - it's a work out for sure, and you'll leave exhausted and sore! It's great core strength training with a little cardio added in. Let us know how it goes!

PS: helpful hint - you might try doing only 1 this week - you're going to be super sore. You might do Tues or Wed, rest up, and then do M/Th next week. Give your muscles at least a day to rest!
  • Miss_Lydia
    Options
    Body pump is a great class, if free weights aren't doing it for you then go for it!
    Then you never know, you might find yourself gravitating back to the free weights after a while once you start feeling stronger and are looking for another challenge! :drinker:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I do it in addition to other weight workouts ("heavy" lifting). I would call it more of a weighted aerobics. It has helped with muscle endurance and it is definitely a good workout, but it is not going to build significant muscle. I like that it is the same for a while, but then is changed every 2-3 months. I would recommend it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if its all your willing to do, its better then nothing.

but my typical answer with weight training is: if you're not going to failure then its a waste of time.

BUt it can also be said like this 'if you're not going to failure, its cardio (at best)'. and there is nothing technically wrong with that, unless what you are really looking for the benefits of weight training (i.e. building muscle or holding on to it as you eat at a defecit).

better then nothing, far from optimal if your looking for the benefits of resistance training.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what BodyPump is:smile: Free weight/Bar weights. Doing Squats, lunges, deadlifts, rows, etc.

i'm not that familair with BP either lol, but i'm assuming your not doing squats till you cant do squats and more, and then doing another set of squats until you can't squat anymore.

lets put it this way, if you can lift the weight up over your head and put it on your shoulders, its probably to light for you to really get the full benefits of resistance training.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what BodyPump is:smile: Free weight/Bar weights. Doing Squats, lunges, deadlifts, rows, etc.

i'm not that familair with BP either lol, but i'm assuming your not doing squats till you cant do squats and more, and then doing another set of squats until you can't squat anymore.

lets put it this way, if you can lift the weight up over your head and put it on your shoulders, its probably to light for you to really get the full benefits of resistance training.

That's not that the OP is asking advice on. For someone just wanting to start, BodyPump is a perfect introduction. When I first started weight training, I wasn't focused on doing squats until I couldn't squat anymore. I was focusing on form and getting acquainted with everything.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

anything with 800 rep range in one class is waste of time IMO...

But I have to do high reps to get "toned"!!!
    OP - I would suggest something that keeps you in the 8-10 rep range and is heavy for you ...

^This
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    hi everyone i dont like to do free weights. my gym offers body pump and i was thinking of taking it 2 times a week as my weights.do you think thats a good substitue to free weights?
    Body pump IS a watered down version of free weight training. They use free weights (albeit much lighter plates) in the class.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I love body pump. Do what makes you feel good and tires you out. I wouldn't take specifice advice from someone on the internet that hasn't met you, doesn't know what your health history is and doesn't know what your goals are. Lots of people think that what they do is the only way, but I suggest you try some new things, figure out what you enjoy and helps you reach your goals.
  • Chante_Loves_Life
    Chante_Loves_Life Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too also love BP. I do it twice a week I also do free weights during the week. I suggest you try it go light the first class as you will be sore the next day. It is a great way to burn calories and help you start out to build your muscles.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have done body pump several times in the past - it's quite fun but IMO it's no substitute for lifting with heavy (heavy for you) free weight, and a good solid compound lift routine.

Body pump has the main lifts, but it's never going to be considered heavy. Anything you can do for that many reps is not heavy no matter how it feels.

It'll be great for endurance, or if you want to focus on cardio/calorie burn but still add a bit of resistance in there. It's certainly better than nothing if you won't do anything else, but as I said it's not really a substitute. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
  • caroluherek
    caroluherek Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    love body pump, used to do it twice a week and definitely felt challenged!
  • kellysabot
    Options
    I just did it this morning!
    Here's my tip. Show up 10 minutes before the class starts, talk to the teacher.
    She'll help you get weights set up and show you some tips and keep an eye on you during the class...help you with your form so you don't hurt anything! (the teachers are great like that if you just ask for it!!)

Here's my question back at all of you!!!!!!
    What do you put down for "exercise" in my fitness pal? Is there a quick add that encompasses this class so I don't have to write the reps and whatnot every time????
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I really like this class, but it is not weight training, it is an endurance/cardio class.
    It is a great way to get comfortable with holding weights and using them and being around them, but is in no way lifting.
    You do modified romanian deadlifts to stretch your hamstrings, and the instructor will criticize you if you squat too deep because they cannot take time to instruct each and every class member on proper form. You have to keep the weight low enough to do a LOT of reps and you do not have time to concentrate on proper form yourself.
    It's fun, it's a good class to get your heart rate up, but it is not lifting.

Lift for real, and use this class as a fun cardio class rather than some jumpy, steppy, girly class.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I really like this class, but it is not weight training, it is an endurance/cardio class.
    It is a great way to get comfortable with holding weights and using them and being around them, but is in no way lifting.
    You do modified romanian deadlifts to stretch your hamstrings, and the instructor will criticize you if you squat too deep because they cannot take time to instruct each and every class member on proper form. You have to keep the weight low enough to do a LOT of reps and you do not have time to concentrate on proper form yourself.
    It's fun, it's a good class to get your heart rate up, but it is not lifting.

Lift for real, and use this class as a fun cardio class rather than some jumpy, steppy, girly class.

+1. I loved BP when I was doing it but I counted it towards cardio and still did a heavy lifting and kickboxing regime along with it.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    hi everyone i dont like to do free weights. my gym offers body pump and i was thinking of taking it 2 times a week as my weights.do you think thats a good substitue to free weights?
    not really familiar with body pump, but I am going to say no. Stick with free weight and gravitate towards a program of compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, chin ups/pull ups, bench press....

ummmm yeah, that's what BodyPump is.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Kelly, the calories burned will depend on so many variables - your weight, how much you lifted, the effort you put in etc.

At a very rough guide, about 250 -350 cals for an hours class.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great place for a person to start weight lifting. You learn proper form and the classes are fun. My problem with it is that it got boring for me. I did Group Power, not Body Pump, but I believe they are similar. We did the same order of exercises every single time. The instructors had favorite songs so we heard them a lot. To this day I will hear a song from Group Power and it makes me want to do squats, bicep curls, etc.

I built up great endurance taking that class and I did load the bar so I was working hard. I just found it too repetitive after a while. The best thing about it is that it gave me confidence to go in to the weight room with the guys. I knew my form was good and I had a good knowledge base of what exercises to do for what body parts so I wasn't intimidated by the free weights or the men working out there. Give it a try.
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    If you don't like to do the free weights then totally go for the BP class. I've done it twice so far and am ridiculously sore but it is helping me with my endurance and I find that it's an AMAZING class for a beginner. It teaches me discipline since I stay committed to the class for the full hour and there are other things involved as well. At my local YMCA one of the instructors mixes in some Plyometrics as well as dips which I think are very beneficial to someone that has never worked out before. I wear my chest strap HRM and normally burn about 430 calories per class.

I find that I work out harder in a class and I find them more fun. I just don't know why someone would say that you can not get enough resistance with the light weights in this class. I can barely keep up with all of the reps and I use the lightest weights possible. Eventually I will increase them but for now I feel like I am getting an amazing workout in and thats whats important.